Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Age group wave rule strikes again [aliciap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Then you must of missed the last lake norman triathlon. The guys in the elite wave the 2-9 guys off the bike came in within 23 seconds. 8 guys within 23 seconds and you don't believe there was no drafting. 2nd, 3rd, 4th and fifth came off within 2 seconds total of each other. How can you tell me these guys where not riding together.

One of the guys I know who races in the elite wave who is a strong rider has stopped doing these races because of the drafting. BTW some of these guys in the elite wave and age group waves do a time trial over at the speedway. I have noticed in the results that the age group times are faster in a TT than the elite but come the triathlon the elite guys times are now all of a sudden faster. Sometimes by almost 2 minutes.

sorry this took so long to respond as I was away.

Quote Reply
Re: Age group wave rule strikes again [gc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Then you must of missed the last lake norman triathlon. The guys in the elite wave the 2-9 guys off the bike came in within 23 seconds. 8 guys within 23 seconds and you don't believe there was no drafting. 2nd, 3rd, 4th and fifth came off within 2 seconds total of each other. How can you tell me these guys where not riding together.

One of the guys I know who races in the elite wave who is a strong rider has stopped doing these races because of the drafting. BTW some of these guys in the elite wave and age group waves do a time trial over at the speedway. I have noticed in the results that the age group times are faster in a TT than the elite but come the triathlon the elite guys times are now all of a sudden faster. Sometimes by almost 2 minutes.

sorry this took so long to respond as I was away.

Sounds like you are an official. If Set-Up has 2 motorcycles for the big sprint races like latta, lake norman, triangle, etc they should have just 1 motorcylce just follow the elite wave the entire time. Even turning around once you get to far ahead. I have also see them do this at worlds where they will go ahead then wait on the side then write down the drafters numbers, etc.

Quote Reply
Re: Age group wave rule strikes again [scienceman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree.

I have always been a competitor. Regardless of the race, I want to have the opportunity to race head-to-head with the people that I want to race against. Racing "ghosts" as you say is no fun. This sitiation is further complicated when it's a multi-loop bike and run. The you have absolutly no idea what place you are in until the results come up.

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Age group wave rule strikes again [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Racing "ghosts" as you say is no fun. This sitiation is further complicated when it's a multi-loop bike and run. The you have absolutly no idea what place you are in until the results come up.

Fleck

I've been thinking about not knowing your place during the event. How difficult would it be to place a portable electronic display or two on the course that could display some of this info?

For example, put one of these along the bike course (perhaps on a hill, so riders are going slow enough to read it) and one on the run course.

When a competitor passed over a timing mat, the display could show something like:

Name.................AG Plc...Ovrl Plc....Time back from next AG competitor......Time back from 1st ovrl
Joe Competitor......3............9............................0:01:12...................................0:03:45

With a large enough display, even on a packed course, most people should be able to get some feedback on how they are doing.

This probably isn't practical for smaller races, but the 1000+ events could probably handle the extra cost.

Thoughts?

--Marcus George
UCLA Triathlon
http://www.triathlon.ucla.edu
Last edited by: marcusgeorge: Sep 6, 05 12:03
Quote Reply
Re: Age group wave rule strikes again [bighead] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know bighead. I ran my cumulative clocktime spreadsheet on the Lake Norman elite male results and it looks like it was a very close race. Really hard to tell since there were no transition splits. One of the elite males received a penalty about something. Am not certain what your complaint is really about.

Depending on speed and course circumstances even a 1 second gap can be entirely legal under age group rules.

10 mph = 14.67 fps
15 mph = 22.00 fps
20 mph = 29.33 fps
25 mph = 36.67 fps

If you have concerns about the Lake Norman race in particular perhaps you should post over at the Set-Up forum at http://trimycoach.com/ipw-web/bulletin/bb/index.php

If are concerned about rules enforcement and fair competition it might be eye opening if you made steps to become a USAT official. You see the whole range of athlete...the elite level racing tactically to the first timer on a mtn bike drinking a slurpee just trying to finish.

Talk to Henk he is from the Charlotte area he can get you pointed in the right direction if you are interested.
Quote Reply

Prev Next