Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How much will aero bars increase my speed?
Quote | Reply
How much will aero bars increase my speed? How much of a difference?

I am new to Triathlon with 3 races complete: 2 Olympic Distance and 1 ½ Iroman. I am a former MTB Sport racer a number of years ago who transitioned to road riding. I have been riding on the road for the past 3 years on a LeMond Buenos Aires.

My bike splits were: 1:11 (with transition time included), 1:12, and 2:44 for my ½ last weekend.

Of course I would love a tri bike but not in the budget right now!
Quote Reply
Re: How much will aero bars increase my speed? [deanpc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've tested on a loop course and pretty consistently get 1mph or so.

styrrell
Quote Reply
Re: How much will aero bars increase my speed? [smtyrrell99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm curious as to the position without aerobars - in the drops or on the hoods? For an Oly distance on a rolling course, do you really see a significant time reduction on aerobars versus in the drops?
Quote Reply
Re: How much will aero bars increase my speed? [deanpc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
depends on the rider and rider positioning. From a pure aero standpoint I'm guessing (educated guessing here but not concrete) a good mph faster or more. Riding a steep seat angle just feels unnatural to me on regular bars and here the combination of going steep and aerobars feels like strapping on rocket packs to me.

With your road bike you're mainly looking at shorty clip ons, ie Profile Jammer GTCs, Oval jammers or HED Clip Lites. Definete aero advantage, but I know for me straight line speed is a lot easier to generate going steeper or with a much farther foward saddle position and longer aerobars. When you move your saddle foward more and get the front end lower you have more weight on the aerobars. Shorty bars have the arm rests closer to your wrists, kinda in the middle of your forearm, not the best if you have a significant amount of weight there. Regular aero bars position the arm cup/rest closer to the elbow.

Do a "search posts" and you'll find tons of info on riding "steep," shorty clip ons on road bikes, and fun stuff like that. good luck, is that the steel Buenos Aires? Those are sweet and comfy bikes.
Quote Reply
Re: How much will aero bars increase my speed? [attybiker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello,

Drops on a standard road bike, clip ons on the same bike, measured with a powertap and kept the power consistent (near max effort) Alternated positions on a slightly rolling loop course of about 8 miles with no traffic. 4 loops total. pretty consistently 1 mph different.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Re: How much will aero bars increase my speed? [smtyrrell99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Position on the bike without the aero bars is on the hoods. Yes, it is the steel bike. I like it but do not have much to compare it to.

Thanks so much for the advice!

I also heard of someone getting another seat post and seat combination for the tri set up...anyone suggest that?
Quote Reply