Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

HED H3's
Quote | Reply
I know this has been asked before, but I cant find the thread.....

Which way do these wheels mount on the bike....stem hole towards drive train side or away from it???

Thanks,

G
Quote Reply
Re: HED H3's [dvfmfidc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stem hole on the left (non drive side).

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Re: HED H3's [smtyrrell99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rim tape or no rim tape?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No tape. You might want to chamfer and deburr the valve stem hole to ensure that it won't cut the tube at the stem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you sure? I thought it was on the drive side?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's funny because on this thread someone (jkatsoudas) said just the opposite:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...;mh=25;guest=4903490
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The valve stem hole is on the drive side for the rear, so the front should mount the same way.
Quote Reply
Re: HED H3's [The Lemming] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, stem hole on the drive side ensures that the rounded edge of the airfoil is facing forward as the spoke is moving forward at the top.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Stem hole on the left (non drive side).

Styrrell

Really?! You must have a bitch of a time getting that chain to run smoothly with the cassette on the left (non-drive) side of the bike. And the wheels spinning the wrong direction as well. You don't happen to wrench for Jan Ullrich do you?

The stem holes are on the right, or drive side.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As usual, thanks guys....to the right it is!!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: HED H3's [Diablo-Advocato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Opps sorry i was working from memory and got it wrong. I use a zipp disk so no problems with the cassette.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lots of people have mentioned that Jans wheel was backwards in a recent TT. I've seen plenty of pics of Lance with his HED3 front wheel also mounted backwards. I can't believe that the mechanics are all that sleepy when they mount the wheels, I wonder whats up?

I'll have to try running my front wheel backwards sometime and see what its all about.

Paul
Quote Reply
Re: HED H3's [zipp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Lots of people have mentioned that Jans wheel was backwards in a recent TT. I've seen plenty of pics of Lance with his HED3 front wheel also mounted backwards. I can't believe that the mechanics are all that sleepy when they mount the wheels, I wonder whats up?

I'll have to try running my front wheel backwards sometime and see what its all about.
Really?! Care to show us one?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That will require some searching on ST. There WERE pics posted here awhile back. You could tell that the wheel was mounted backwards by the valve hole, the old style threads on the hub and the "sharp" edge of the wheel.

Paul
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Paul
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd say that looks backwards... maybe the wrench had a little too much EPO ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I emailed HED this morning and asked them if there was a reason why.....

They responded that it was a mistake. There is no reason to run the wheel backwards.

Paul
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Funny huh... I guess what might have been gained aerodynamically by the AX caliper was probably lost by reversing the wheel, LOL!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The difference from leading to trailing edge on an H3 is very, very slight. I'd be surprised if it really makes any difference at all. I'd guess (admittedly purely an uneducated guess) that putting a magnet on an H3 would have more of a negative effect than running it backwards. In fact, I seem to recall an old John Cobb tunnel test with various tube shapes were some airfoil-shaped tubes were actually lower Cd when facing backwards. Go figure. In any case, visually it virtually indistinguishable if you don't know to look for the valve hole, so you won't get caught looking like a tool like Jan with his Xentis :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dvfmfidc,

Obviously, the rear wheel can mount only one way. If you feel the edges of the spoke, you will discover there is a leading edge and a trailing edge and this means these wheels are intended to rotate in a specific direction. BTW the leading edge is a little more round/elliptical than the trailing edge which feels thinner.

Now if you study the front wheel similarly, you will quickly discover which way the front wheel must mount to rotate in the same direction.

Just remember, some of the pictures you see have the images reversed for one reason or another. You can't always rely on what you see in a picture.

Good luck.

Ben Cline

Better to aspire to Greatness and fail, than to not challenge one's self at all, and succeed.
Quote Reply