Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Yoga and Musculature
Quote | Reply
The November 2003 issue of Yoga Journal has an article titled "Redifining Great Abs". In it there is the following statement: "In fact, overdevelopment and hardness of the abdominals - or of any single muscle group - can be harmful, because excessive muscle bulk can obstruct energy flow and decrease the body's vital forces." Are there any yoga practitioners out there that might be able to elaborate on that statement a bit further? What are the implications for serious traithletes? Also, Tom Seabourne, one of the authors (Scott Cole is the other) of "Athletic Abs", is quoted at some length in the same article, and I would like to know if any of you have worked with this book and found it especially, or uniquely, useful. My less-than-firm-and-soon-to-be-55-years-old abdominals need your advice and suggestions!
Quote Reply
Re: Yoga and Musculature [tundraman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the statment is true , however depending where you place yourself on the "new age woo woo " scale, i could be a little overstated. yoga is really more about and a vehicle for the breath,breathing. overdeveloped musclature limits range of motion inturn limiting the postures which could limit the ability to truely breath deeply. unless you look like arnie in the early years it's really a non issue . i spend my off season and early season doing yoga 1-2x aweek it's great. regarding abs my 2cents is we should spend more time on core strength (wts. and yoga) and leave the vanity abs for mtv

namaste

i think there, 4 am
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
" obstruct energy flow and decrease the body's vital forces." It sounds like the general from Dr. Stranglove. Just remember, when in Yoga class, deny them your essence. I find that obstructed energy flow can be overcome by eating shark nipple extract and walking around with healing crystals in my shoes.

Seriously, it is elementary that overdeveloping one muscle will lead to a muscle imbalance. If you are going to spend inordinate amounts of time developing the abs, then be sure to spend plenty of time developing the lower back to keep things balanced. In the same way, you don't want either your hamstrings or quads overdeveloped in relation to the other.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're worried about your abs becoming overdeveloped and too hard, just pound a few beers after you leave the gym. Works for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Yoga and Musculature [tom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sharks have nipples?

Without getting into the meditative aspects of yoga, quite a few of the asanas (poses) are beneficial for building strength and flexibility. I find it also benefits my recovery. WRT the abs, I see a lot of people in the gym using exercises adapted from yoga when working out (eg plank pose)
Quote Reply
Re: Yoga and Musculature [tom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"...deny them your essence. I find that obstructed energy flow can be overcome by eating shark nipple extract and walking around with healing crystals in my shoes."

That is a hilarious answer...LOL!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure how hard abs can limit you from a new-age/yoga perspective, but I have wondered what it would do to your breathing when swimming, biking or running. Why? I recall Dr. Phil Maffetone saying something that rock-hard abs will inhibit your diaphragm's freedom of movement during exercise, thus limiting lung capacity. Anyone else hear the same, agree, disagree?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's certainly a matter of context. I find it hard to believe too many people could develop their abs to the degree that it would interfere with breathing or flexibility. Look at gymnasts after all. In fact, one of the best ab excercises is doing a slow controlled exhale as you contract your abs over, say, 5 seconds. Then, when you're almost 'deflated' do a final little exhale and force all the remaining air out. Keep your glutes tight to avoid swaying your back too much.

Abs don't need hundreds of reps, but they do like a full range of motion. Swiss ball crunches are great. Barring that, crunches with a pillow under the small of your back to 'open' out a little more. Those $5 'ab wheels' are awesome and build lots of functional core strength.

Just pick a new one every two weeks, 3-5 sets, 3-5 times a week, don't worry about doing more than 12 reps/set and have fun.

--ashayk
Last edited by: ashayk: Oct 31, 03 14:27
Quote Reply