Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM WI Tips
Quote | Reply
I was just wondering if I could get some last minute tips/insights about IM WI. This will be my first IM. Ive been up to Madison and rode the course 3 times and been over the run course once. I've read over the athletes guide and the transitions seem a little more complicated than a regular oly or 1/2. Anything unexpected that someone encountered or was different than what you imagined it would be? Just trying to get a handle on some of the intangibles I might come across. Thanks Norm.
Quote Reply
Re: IM WI Tips [NormM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perhaps be more specific in your question......do you need Iron distance tips or just Moo.

If just Moo, here's a few.

1) Don't position yourself behind the ski jump :o)

2) Swim to the shore and make the best effort to get out the lake QUICKLY, there will be a steep sand ramp. If you're behind me, clog the hole and create chaos for everyone else!

3) Don't blow your HR on the helix jog. Be brisk, but don't run.

4) The ride ain't over after you past through Verona the 2nd time. It's a tough ride back to town.

5) Moo, perhaps more than any other IM, is all about your bike pace. Don't be a hero on the 1st lap.

6) The jog around the field seems REALLY long/boring. Kinda like running the State Park at IMFL.

7) Thanks every volunteer

8) Smile

9) Keep moving

10) Keep your head up at the finish line.

I should have a nice 130 mile race..not sure what will happen in the 2nd loop of the run with a torn calf. We'll see!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Norm,

Having done the event twice, the transitions aren't very confusing at all; you cant screw it up. Everything is nicely laid out and very organized. The volunteers are very helpful. The only down side is that if it is a hot day (like the last two years) that airconditioning will make you want to relax. Just make a quick change and get out there.

Have fun, enjoy the crowds and keep a smile on your face!

Good luck.

Larry

Don't be afraid to ride too long or too hard. That's what cell phones are for. Rich Strauss
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Norm...you know the transitions are different for those races, compared to shorter ones? Not complicated, just different. Your stuff is not at your bike. You'll get out of the water, run up the helix, pick up your swim-bike bag, go into change room to get your bike stuff on, run to bike...ride...lalala...112 miles....ride... For T2, you drop off your bike to a volunteer (don't have to rack it yourself), go get your bike to run bag, go to change room...head out on run.

You can load up your bike with your nutrition, etc. on race morning, but the rest of your gear is not by your bike. (and actually will be dropped off the day before).

Just thought I'd post this in case you didn't know. Several of my friends were completely surprised at their first IMs.

Good luck!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keep going until you pass a big sign that says, "FINISH".
Quote Reply