Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Gears slipping - faulty bar end shifters
Quote | Reply
Having a problem with gears slipping - LBS tuned bike and said the problem is with the DA bar end shifters. Before I replace these does this make sense, or should I look at how to take these apart first.
Quote Reply
Re: Gears slipping - faulty bar end shifters [triduo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What do you mean by "slipping"?
Barcons don't die: I bet the problem is somewhere else. Set the shifter to "friction" and go for a ride. Does it still "slip"? If yes, tighten the screw. If not, open the thing, clean/grease, close and go for a ride.
I have a set of SIS D/A 6sp (yes, *six*) downtube shifters that started auto-shifting *this year*, after multiple rebuilt, I decided to go to 8sp (yes, *eight*). Shifters last a long time.

Dre'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dre' is right. A bar end shifter is so simple that failure is rare. Have you already installed new cables, checked the chain and cassette for wear?
Quote Reply
Re: Gears slipping - faulty bar end shifters [cjeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're right. A new chain on a worn cogset will "skip". If you're not paying too much attention, it sounds/feels like the drivetrain autoshifts ...

Dre'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmmm, start with the basics: Wheel in straight? Chain length correct? Move from simplest to most complex problem.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Gears slipping - faulty bar end shifters [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom,
your post is frightening. Do you really believe that the mechanic could go as far as jamming the rear wheel all crooked in the dropouts and tell the customer to get new shifters?

Dre'

Somewhat related P.S. (for TonyG)

- They can't fix yer brakes
- You ask 'em, "Where's my motor?"
- "Well it was eaten by snakes ..."
Frank Zappa
Quote Reply
Re: Gears slipping - faulty bar end shifters [Dr. Dre'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hey doc - a pimply faced "big huck" oriented 16 y/o "mechanic" sure could, and you see more of those yahoos every day. i'd be surprised if half the mechanics at yer typical strip mall new school bike-convienience store knew which end of a bar-con was up, or even knew what friction shifting is. our friend needs a new bike shop, think i. :)
Quote Reply