Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Broken Derailleur hanger on a Cervelo P2 [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is really, really nice. Great work saving the bike!
Quote Reply
Re: Broken Derailleur hanger on a Cervelo P2 [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is fantastic! I hope it never comes to that with my P2, but I'm bookmarking this thread just in case.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're way more handy then I am. My local shop hooked me up with a P3 frame when this happened on my P2 but I must say that is some good work.
Quote Reply
Re: Broken Derailleur hanger on a Cervelo P2 [ffmedic84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks so much, my shop tried to sell me a frame at retail. They said that Cervelo didn't have a crash replacement policy. I found that wasn't correct from Damon R and Shawn from Cervelo customer service. I still never got a price.

At least my first attempt at it was successful. I know I can make it prettier. I have a friend at work that is a good machinist, he said after I get it figured out he would make another one.

I rode 65 miles today with absolutely no issues and now I have a lot of confidence in it. I have a long cage derailleur on it right now just because I had one and every shift is perfect.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
very nice. that is one thing i dont like about cervelo...no replacement hanger even if they claim it s better that way.

That bike will live to fight some more!!!!

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: Broken Derailleur hanger on a Cervelo P2 [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am glad. I would put an steel replacement on my S5 if I could get hold of one.

haha

jonnyo wrote:
very nice. that is one thing i dont like about cervelo...no replacement hanger even if they claim it s better that way.

That bike will live to fight some more!!!!

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
Thanks so much, my shop tried to sell me a frame at retail. They said that Cervelo didn't have a crash replacement policy. I found that wasn't correct from Damon R and Shawn from Cervelo customer service. I still never got a price.

At least my first attempt at it was successful. I know I can make it prettier. I have a friend at work that is a good machinist, he said after I get it figured out he would make another one.

I rode 65 miles today with absolutely no issues and now I have a lot of confidence in it. I have a long cage derailleur on it right now just because I had one and every shift is perfect.

jaretj

I sense a business idea...
Quote Reply
Re: Broken Derailleur hanger on a Cervelo P2 [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jonnyo wrote:

Seriously! How can a race-capable bike not have a replaceable hanger? A minor crash should not result in needing a new frame. (been through that once with a Felt, never again).
Quote Reply
Re: Broken Derailleur hanger on a Cervelo P2 [BrianB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BrianB wrote:
Seriously! How can a race-capable bike not have a replaceable hanger? A minor crash should not result in needing a new frame. (been through that once with a Felt, never again).

Because generally a minor crash doesn't result in a new frame. Some of the crashes that result in a destroyed frame with non replaceable hangers would have also done so even with a replaceable one. (I have seen this first hand at least once)

So there is a somewhat narrow margin of scenarios where the replaceable hanger saves your frame.

So for a TT bike where crashing isn't very common, a nice sturdy permanent hanger has a lot of advantages. I've seen many rides ended because of replaceable hangers snapping where a permanent one would have been fine, for instance. Or shifting going nutty because you slightly bent the replaceable hanger from incidental contact with something, or just from the force of shifting over time.

So anyway I don't think it matters much, and would rather have a robust hanger even on my road bike. Less chance of crit being over in a crash =)

Quote Reply
Re: Broken Derailleur hanger on a Cervelo P2 [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While I really have no interest in producing these, how much do you think they are worth?

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That depends. I can not count on my two hands or the hands of many of my friends how many people have had to crash replace a Cervelo frame because of a RD hanger issue.

That's not to say that the hanger itself is the issue, it's more to say that because of non-replaceable hanger and most people's user error/crash experiences and the number of Cervelo tri bikes I'd say there would be a decent customer base...

So, somewhere between 40-100$...maybe! haha
Quote Reply
Re: Broken Derailleur hanger on a Cervelo P2 [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's the range I was thinking of too.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: Broken Derailleur hanger on a Cervelo P2 [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
Because generally a minor crash doesn't result in a new frame. Some of the crashes that result in a destroyed frame with non replaceable hangers would have also done so even with a replaceable one. (I have seen this first hand at least once)

Yeah, I understand the reasoning behind it. I suppose I am just unlucky then. (and actually mine wasn't even a crash). It's just so frustrating to see what could be a repairable issue become a frame replacement (and then being without the bike while hassling with that).

I've talked to a handful of people who had a similar issue -- though most seemed to be the result of the rear der not being adjusted properly and then having it go into the spokes. We can chalk that up to user error, but it seems to happen enough that I personally wouldn't ever buy another frame without a replaceable hanger. (Trek SC being one of those options)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
While I really have no interest in producing these, how much do you think they are worth?

jaretj

What are the 2 metal rivet-like things attaching the hanger to the frame? It looks good, but hard to tell exactly what is going on here. Did you initially start with just the 1 and then decide that 2 would be better?
Quote Reply
Re: Broken Derailleur hanger on a Cervelo P2 [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They are two screws that are counter sunk. Their only job it's to hold the hanger in place while the wheel is off. At first i had one on the right side and then added the left one cuz the hanger was turning down without a wheel on. I could do without the right one now.

The clamping force of the skewer holds it in place while riding.
Quote Reply
Re: Broken Derailleur hanger on a Cervelo P2 [BrianB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And that derailleur going into the spokes issue, is the example where I saw a frame destroyed despite having a replaceable hanger.

While I did that with a P2k and everything was fine! (well, not the wheel, or the derailleur)

BrianB wrote:
I've talked to a handful of people who had a similar issue -- though most seemed to be the result of the rear der not being adjusted properly and then having it go into the spokes. We can chalk that up to user error, but it seems to happen enough that I personally wouldn't ever buy another frame without a replaceable hanger. (Trek SC being one of those options)

Quote Reply
Re: Broken Derailleur hanger on a Cervelo P2 [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
And that derailleur going into the spokes issue, is the example where I saw a frame destroyed despite having a replaceable hanger.

yes, I've seen that too, on one occasion that I can recall. But have seen more der in the spokes with only the hanger (and der and wheel) broken.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jaretj,

Magnificent job mate, impressive!

I have a P2 with the same issue , same model etc. unfortunately I don't have all the tools or knowledge to make one.
Did you ever make more? if so, i will buy one from you! or if you could please guide me on how to possibly replicate one?

I know its a long shot, but I had to ask

Thank you!
Quote Reply
Re: Broken Derailleur hanger on a Cervelo P2 [chronos7400] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't done that in a very long time but since then, my thoughts were to get a planet x stealth hanger, bolt it on and then make a piece to fit around the rest of the dropout.
I have a Planet X hanger but never tried to fit it together since the old one worked well.

Search this:

WHEELS MANUFACTURING DROPOUT-235 DERAILLEUR HANGER - PLANET X

I know i made 1 more of my original one. I'm traveling right now so i won't be able to check on my parts until tomorrow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info! will do, safe travels!
Quote Reply

Prev Next