Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Bike commuters, any advice. [tri-sker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love bike commuting, hate driving cars. I'm a girlie girl so I have half of a salon in my desk at work and keep a basic wardrobe there full time that I can exchange pieces of clothes to mix up my styles.

To keep clean, I bring in a fresh hand towel every few days to whipe down with and use nice smelling lotion to keep mosturized. I work out on my lunch break and take a full shower then and then a quick shower when I get home from the commute. It's a little complicated but like I said, I hate driving and I think bike commuting is one of the best things I do!
Last edited by: trailbait: Aug 18, 05 19:32
Quote Reply
Re: Bike commuters, any advice. [trailbait] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I commute 58 miles round trip and 54 of it is on a paved trail in Seattle. I do this year-round - rain or shine. I can only add a couple of things, leave some bike gear at work like a rain jacket, maybe some chamois creme, you might want to also leave a pair of socks and undies there. I actually forgot them today and didn't have any at work so I free-balled today. Visibility is key in the winter don't skimp on lighting. I shower at work and keep sandles there and the rest of the necessities. I feel awesome when I commute and it relieves the stress more than you can imagine. To keep things simple I also commute on a single speed, so maintenance is easier and its cheaper and also easier to clean in rainy Seattle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All of the posts here are good advice; so I will only add what appears to be non-repetitive.

We moved in Feb and I started biking to/from work 2 or 3 days a week. I take the car in on Monday w/ clothes and stuff I need for the week, plus bike and gear. Bike home on Monday, back in Tues AM, and repeat with the last commute of the week a bike in/drive home. That way, if you need to go somewhere from the office, to meet a client, lunch, unplanned business travel, health emergency with spouse or kids, etc., you at least have the car where you are if needed. I've got access to a shower at work, so that works out OK.

20 miles each way for me. All road, some trafficed and narrow. I've had a few semi-tractor mirrors go over my head as I was in the 'bars. Gets the pulse right up there.

Its fun and I am going to figure out a plan to do more.

~ Tim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
20 miles 1 way for me. As has been pointed out, very easy to get "free" training hours by subtracting the commute time. There are tons of possibilities, I often drive one way and ride the other. I definitely think to myself on some crappy weather days as I pedal out of my driveway "There is no way I would be riding right now if my car wasn't already in the parking lot at work..." after a few miles though, I'm always glad I'm riding.

#2 (length of the clippers) buzz cut is the key to cleanliness. The first time you get it, it is startlingly short and people are like "Holy Crap dude, you are bald". But, they get used to it pretty quick and you never have a bad hair day. (Or, you just always have a bad hair day, but at least it never changes)

A funny commuter story though: I got kind of chicken winged with my gear and ended up with my bike shoes in the back seat of my car at work, and so had to wear running shoes on my spd pedals. I had a decent load of crap to bring so had a sizable backpack. I didn't have any clean shirts so just threw on a T-shirt. I got most of the way to work when I passed a bike messenger going the other way and he points at me and starts screaming "SPANDEX COMMUTER!!!SPANDEX COMMUTER!!!WOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOO"

My first reaction was of course to want to kick his ass, or at least chase him down and explain that I wasn't a hack, but then I thought about it and realized it was pretty damn funny and that I actually was a hack.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm definitely on the extreme end, but when I'm going to school 3-4 days a week, I'll usually ride the 36 miles each way from my house, and I go fairly hard both ways because...

I have a shower and towel service waiting for me at the school. I've also got a locker where I keep things like a pair of shoes, shampoo, and extra tube, can opener (canned tuna/salmon is an easy lunch), etc. I could never plan far enough ahead to bring clothes ahead, but I'd often leave my dirty clothes from the morning there.

As far as cleaning up with no shower goes, make sure you dump a fair amount of water over your head when cleaning up and wash out your hair a good bit. This will cool you down enough to stop you from sweating any further, and, I've found, it's the only way you'll actually feel clean throughout the rest of the day.

Other random tips:

1) Use shorts only once (i.e. 2pr shorts each day), and always use the chamois cream you prefer

2) Pay attention to the timing of the traffic lights. Getting them right saves energy and time.

3) You're metabolism probably won't go into overdrive like mine does, but you will get hungry more often so be prepared. Don't overdo the Clif Bars, though.

4) The clip-on fenders (I think the brand is SKS) from Colorado Cyclist are really worth it.

5) I've got a nice waterproof backpack if I need it, but my favorite is a cheap bag from Smart-Fuel. Recommendation: you don't need to worry about a nice $100 messenger bag if you pack a couple trash-bags for emergencies. However, if you live in an area where it rains a lot, it pays to have a good bag. I live in Houston, so I will switch to the backpack when it starts raining a lot. Also, if you get caught without a trash bag, wrap your important stuff in your spare clothes, and wrap that in as many of those free newspapers that you can fit in there. Or, just take a trashbag out of the restroom if there's nothing or not much in there.

6) Drop weight wherever possible. Weight on your bike makes you less nimble (bad when trying to dodge cars), and weight on your body (in bag) will make you less nimble and cause your back to hump over even more than it already does. Think like a hiker. For example: I don't get many flats so I know that I don't need a tire lever because, in a worst case scenario, I could get by using the end of my skewer. I've also gone so far as to cut any extraneous straps/cloth off my bag because every little bit helps.

I did take that last step too far once. I figured I could bring only a pen, lunch, and clothes because I could take notes in the margins of the school newspaper.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike commuters, any advice. [LarryCalifornia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]Forgot...

Find out what your favorite floor pump is, then buy a second one. Keep it at work. Very important.

LC[/reply]

oooh good one.. forgot about that!.. yep v. important
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been commuting to and from work every day for about 3 years now. 13km each way. I ride a road bike with a rear rack rather than a back pack. way cooler in summer.

I have lights too, on the bike and on my helmet. In the morning I usually take it easy because we don't have a shower. In the evening I usually put in some effort, unless it's right after my evening swim workout that has been particularly hurtful recently.

I have one turn in the road, about halfway along my ride each morning where I get to look along a beach, through some trees with the sun looming over my left shoulder. Fuckin' perfect. It's really hard, even for the most dedicated client, to piss me off before noon, just because that look along the beach is sooooo cooooool.

I even turned down a company car (of my choice! up to a reasonable price) and free fuel, so I can still ride to work rather than sit in traffic. Too bad the boss wouldn't spring for a better bike. I didn't have the heart to tell the wife I turned down the car. she would shoot me.

Get on your bike!!!!!!!

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: Bike commuters, any advice. [milkywaye] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm starting to realize just how cool my last place of work was. I worked in a fairly large facility that was a reasonable distance away so it gave me the following:

1. 30-50k commute (1 way) depending on what I felt like;
2. Showers with free locker and towel service;
3. Free gym and pool on site;
4. Laundry and Dry cleaning service;
5. Excellent selection of good healthy and energy giving food at the on site cafe...

There was quite a few people who commuted by bike on my route so you usually collected a couple of people here and there. Most mornings that resulted in a group of around five together by the time you made it to the front gate. Late summer the morning ride in from city looked like the TdF.

Most of the tips have already been covered however some other ones that I thought of.

1. Zip lock bags are great for sweaty clothes. You can keep them at your desk if you need to without bothering people with the smell. As long as you don't forget about them they will wrap up tight until you can get them home and into the wash.

2. I used to cook a bunch of pasta sauce on the weekend and then freeze it to take into work. You throw the pasta and water in the microwave and then combine it with the sauce for an instant meal of your choice.

3. In addition to your toiletries, keep a medical kit on hand at work for the occasions when road rash might have to be treated. Second Skin and other such items are great. Having to cope with road rash under suit pants or a starched shirt without having the chance to air it is painful and will wreck your concentration for the day.

4. Best tip I was ever given? People at six in the morning are not awake enough to watch for cyclists. Get eye contact with a driver about to pull out or failing that, hawk the hub cap for any sign of forward motion. Saved my bacon on a couple of occasions now...

Long post I know but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for pre-ride morning food prior to a long commute? I sometimes have trouble getting down cereal or stuff so I have resorted to yoghurt or honey sandwiches to give me a kick start. Then a full breakfast when I get to work. Any other suggestions?
Quote Reply
Re: Bike commuters, any advice. [wanderer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Couple of piccies to get you into the commuting mood..
Here is part of my journey in.. fresh air, morning sunshine.. nothing better..

And this is something that happens occassionally..
In this instance my snow tyre wire bead snapped so nothing to do but carry it 3km and wait for a bike shop to open.. this sounds weird but was a really fun day. Walking past cars in the traffic jam (you can imagine the number of honks I got!).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same thoughts on the petrol front - I'm in the UK so probably much worse here.

28 mile round trip. Take shirt, socks, underwear in a pack on my back. I have a locker and a shower at work so trousers, shoes & shower gear stay at the office. Try to do it as often as I can - every day last week.

False economy for me though because the wife drives to the same office as me! But it means I get 80-90mins cycling each day I commute on the bike. Not seeing any gains in pace though..... ;-(

JC
Quote Reply
Re: Bike commuters, any advice. [wanderer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My normal breakfest of champions is oatmeal. Sometimes I will have something else like pancakes or waffles...oatmeal goes down the easiest though. I try to finish eating an hour before I get on the bike. So first thing in the morning I do is eat, then take the dogs for a walk, then get ready to hit the bike. No stomach problems so far....well, besides being starving by 8 o'clock cause I eat breakfest at 5:30!

-bcreager
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
eleven miles in and a minimum of 17 home. Use a different route because of traffic. I can add a couple of ten mile legs if I need the extra miles.

Rear rack, fenders, lights, fat tires (can't see those road hazards in the dark.

Picked up lights with a battery charger at Performance.

No showers, but clean up with the wipes and nobody seems to mind.

Jay
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bike commute one or two days a week until around november (I live in upstate NY). My ride is about 19 miles each way, which takes a little over an hour on the slow/heavy commuter bike I use...usually loaded with a panier bag on the back rack with my cloth's and lunch in it. I've tried leaving cloth's at work, but I generally forget, so I have to lug it with me. Luckily I work at a university, so I have a shower and pool nearby. If you're going to use the same bike rack every day, just leave your locks attached to it...especially if it's like the one outside my office, which barely gets used.

I've also found that if there's a day I can't or just don't feel like biking both ways, I'll just drive in one day, bike home that night and bike back in the next morning.

I would bike most days if I could, but I have to pick my son up from my mother-in-laws house 2-3 days a week. That would make for a 2 1/2 - 3 hour commute if I wanted to bike to her house, and tow him home (not likely).

You could always get some baby wipes to wipe off any grime or smelly areas since you don't have a shower.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do 8 miles each way on a mountain bike. The only time I opt for the bus & subway is when it's pouring in the morning - no shower, hair dryer at work so no way to rescue the hair (my hair is short but...). Rain on the way home is OK though.

The only thing I have to add is how to deal with no office for storing clothes. I have a tiny (10"x10"x10") locker and put in a bin for baby wipes, deoderant (travel size) and powder. I also keep a pair of shoes and a belt in there. The daily clothes come on my back in a backpack. I got a travel folding device (available at REI) to put in slacks, top and underwear - it really condences the amount of space needed. Definitely wait 10-15 miutes after getting off the bike to start cleaning up so your body temp returns to baseline.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike commuters, any advice. [janiceb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd love to commute, but I don't see how to do it until the kids are older, (2 under 4 yrs old). My wife takes sooo long getting herself ready in the AM that I'm the one who feeds, changes, dresses the kids, gets them all ready to be dropped off for daycare. That only leaves me 1/2 hour to get to work by car, which I couldn't make it biking.
Until they can dress and feed themselves, I won't be able to slip out any earlier. Wife snoozes for 1/2 hr to before she finially gets moving. I'm not looking for a fight with her, so we'll just keep it as is. Anyone else in same situation? Jamma.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike commuters, any advice. [jamma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I'm not looking for a fight with her, so we'll just keep it as is. Anyone else in same situation?

I'd say you're justified in bringing this to "fight" level. Unless she's 10x better looking than you or the sex is so good you end up in convulsions... My .02 diagnosis is that she could pull a bit more of the weight. If you make time for yourself, she will make time to help with kids. Don't teach your kids that men are supposed to be cowering door mats to selfish women. (Or vice versa).

Good luck.

Lehmkuhler
Quote Reply
Re: Bike commuters, any advice. [Lehmkuhler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is give and take. She does most of the evening things, dinner/bath and such. Takes care of all the Dr appointments. I work 2 jobs, so my family time is limited, so I enjoy the time with the kids getting them ready and such, just that there's not enough time in the day for doing everything. Maybe I can get a reprieve at work and come in an hour later or something. Sex is great, and with me pushing 300lbs and her around 125, she's definitely a catch. I don't have money or looks, so don't know how I pulled that one off...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All the advice here -- baby wipes, short hair, clothes dumps, fenders and rear rack, extra tube, minipump and patches, yadda yadda -- is solid. It can't be said often enough, however, so once again: Lots of lights and reflective stuff.

For lights, a couple of bright headlights, one helment mounted and one bar mounted, plus a pair of rear blinkies, should do it. Lights are fickle, so make sure you have some redundancy. Invest in quality lights with rechargable batteries.

If you can leave really early, when it's still dark, do so. Riding in full-on rush hour traffic when everyone is driving agressively to avoid being late just sucks. But drivers who get up really early to avoid heavy traffic are generally pretty calm; they just want to get to work without hassle.

A couple more points: There's a good commuter forum over at Road Bike Review. Search around and you'll find lots of advice to new commuters.

Stay away from messengar bags and backpacks unless you have a short commute and aren't looking at it as a training opportunity. Straps simply interfere too much. Nashbar sells a convertible pannier/backpack that is pretty well designed and inexpensive. Not least, it has a beaver tail for stashing shoes and a dry bag that seals well enough to keep the smell of stinky gym clothes from eeking out.

Finally, consider getting a dedicated commuter bike. Once you make all the changes that make a commuter rig practical and comfortable (wider tires, fenders, rack, lights) you end up with some stuff that you may not want to haul along on a long training ride and you certainly don't want to race with.

All in all, you can spend quite a bit on commuting. But if you save $5 a day on gas, you'll have $1250 a year to spend on bike stuff.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This will easily be the most unheedable piece of advice here but had anyone thought of moving closer to work? I think I have the shortest commute at 1.2 miles each way (yes, my office is in a decent 'hood), and since it's short trips that kill gas mileage I'm doing all right. Of course I have a job that requires my car most days so I have to pick and choose which days I ride.

All the other advice is sound. I'm taking notes.

-------------------------------------------
"The hero is someone in continual opposition to the status quo. The hero is always becoming himself." Jos� Ortega y Gasset.

"The enthusiasm (absorbing or controlling possession of the mind by any interest or pursuit) is needed before breaking the milestone and not after." Sergio Escutia, on Lukas Verzbicas' subdued reaction to breaking 4 minutes in the mile.
Quote Reply
First commute: Kick ass! [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm resurecting this thread because my first commute was awesome. I was thinking two times a week, but I'm going to find a way to make it three.

some thoughts:

Baby wipes are a miracle. Once you realize that they are designed to remove Poo from babies butts, You know they can fight any stank that may result from a hard ride in.

Washing thoroughly thuroughly form the neck up gives you a nearly showered feel.

Success is completely dependent on the quality of your at work commuter stash. Little things like chamois creme are important.

Even the most mundane, monotonous commuter route looks good from your bike.

I'm going to have to invest in some cool weather riding gear tp minimize the number of weeks a year I cannot do this.

I need another floor pump... Thanks for that tip.

Thanks to all for the tips, and the roadbikereview forum is cool.

Marty

------------------------------------------------------------

Not the victory but the action.
Not the goal but the game.
In the deed the glory.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the baby wipes and private bathroom aren't enough, and if you can carpool to work at least occassionally...

Drive to work with the bike on the 4Runner. Leave the 4Runner at work and ride home. Take a shower at home. Catch a ride to work the next day with your carpool.

FWIW, I'm 20 miles each way but I have to take care of my daughter most mornings until school starts at 8:30. I can only ride when my wife's not working or school's out, but I do have the luxury of a shower at work.

Stephen
Quote Reply
Re: First commute: Kick ass! [tri-sker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One of those deodorant spray companies (Tag or Axe) makes deodorant wipes, but if you already have a young'un and thus the baby wipes, then so much the better.

I'll remember that for future days when I stink myself up nicely.

-------------------------------------------
"The hero is someone in continual opposition to the status quo. The hero is always becoming himself." Jos� Ortega y Gasset.

"The enthusiasm (absorbing or controlling possession of the mind by any interest or pursuit) is needed before breaking the milestone and not after." Sergio Escutia, on Lukas Verzbicas' subdued reaction to breaking 4 minutes in the mile.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live 3 miles from work but comute 20-24 miles in. I love riding in the early morning. I typically ride long in and short in the afternoon. That way I can be home early for family time.

My one piece of advice for riding in the dark is to get a light on top of your helmet. I have a niterider digital something. I think of it as my weapon. When I see a car attempting to turn into my path I shine my light right into their window. They all stop to wonder what in the world is coming at them. I then wave nicely as I pass. I have not had problems with people seeing me from behind (lots of reflective stuff and flasshing lights, plural), but I have been worried about the gut pulling in front of me going 16 mph.

I also don't shower--even though there are factilties. Wipe down, deoderant, etc.

Good luck and have a great time comuting.

Jon Bergmann
http://jonbergmann.com
Quote Reply
Re: Bike commuters, any advice. [JBergmann] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I commute 9km each way through downtown Toronto for 6-8 months a year. Two words: Italian shower!
Quote Reply

Prev Next