Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

titanium soft, inferior
Quote | Reply
FAQ: "Why not Titanium?:
- Not because we are not able to work with it, (Ti is the most weldable of all the metals used in bicycle frames, and it's way easier to do smooth looking welds than in other materials.) but because Titanium is too soft of a metal for application on bicycle frame. No matter what type of Titanium, it is far inferior, as a structure, to steel and not even close to compare it to AlSc alloys! We have number of customers who switched to our Scandium after they realized all they got from Ti frame is actually soft feeling.
Our Scandium frames are lighter thanTi, they give just as comfortable ride, and WILL NOT give up on you when you pedal your hardest!
Quote Reply
Re: titanium soft, inferior [ironman44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't seen propoganda like this since the fall of the Soviet Union.
Quote Reply
Re: titanium soft, inferior [Wolfwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's wrong with soft? I love soft.

But titanium inferior? As a structure? Hmmm.

"...all they got from Ti frame is actually soft feeling."

Kind of reads like an instruction sheet from the Far East written by a person whose first language is not English. I'm not sure I'm going to trust this writer's assertions. Nope, I'm keeping my actually soft feeling, Merlin style.

Mr. Uncaptured External Costs

Fossil carbon is planetary poison.
Quote Reply
Re: titanium soft, inferior [tim-mech] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Think eastern bloc, not far east.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My ti seems to be holding up fine, and i've been using it 24/7 for the last 5 years...
Quote Reply
Re: titanium soft, inferior [JohnA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah yes, you are quite correct. Just when we thought we were friends and put all that Cold War stuff behind us.

That's it, they are hoarding titanium! For weapons! The bastards!

Mr. Uncaptured External Costs

Fossil carbon is planetary poison.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The thread is actually correct. Titanium, the pure element is very soft. Pure Ti is quite malleable. However, not much is made from pure titanium. Certainly no bikes. "Titanium" bikes are made from titanium alloyed with aluminum and vandium. So it is more clever propaganda than might initially seem.

The other interesting thing is that the HARDER a material is, the easier it is to make pretty welds. Tool steel makes beautiful, small, fine beads. Aluminum, on the other hand, looks like crap by comparison, even when welded very well. Ti is probably not the most "weldable," though. CroMo steel is. There are lots of precautions to be taken when welding Ti to prevent contamination of the weld that one does not have to take with CroMo.

That being said, Yaquis are very nice bikes. Just a bit of marketing here and there. The boys at Litespeed have just as much Titanium propaganda that they hand out in their catalogs...

This is way less propaganda than the Calfee "white paper," which is basically a long list of why every other bike sucks, and Calfee's are great. It is too funny.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: titanium soft, inferior [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good reply - Ti IS very difficult to weld, not easy as Mandaric states. Hell, I can weld steel with some halfway decent "rolls of nickels" that might even pass an X-ray test. I don't think I'd want to wear the space suit, oxygen low environment to do Ti like the experts down in Chattanooga.

I'm sure they will switch the space shuttle frame from Ti to Scandium now ...

Quote | Reply
no complaints to litespeed yet...

------------------------------------------------------------------
"The aspect of sport that you learn is that you have your good times and your bad times, but you share it with great people." - George Gregan

Quote Reply
Re: titanium soft, inferior [tedspace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very funny indeed.

Herbert
Litespeed
www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply
Re: titanium soft, inferior [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well im riding a 2005 teramo purchased in may, size 61 frame, no complaints what so ever. but i do agree with the very funny indeed portion, I would've expected you to answer to this one Herbert. :D

------------------------------------------------------------------
"The aspect of sport that you learn is that you have your good times and your bad times, but you share it with great people." - George Gregan

Quote Reply
Re: titanium soft, inferior [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Herbert, I am looking forward to a nice CroMo Litespeed...may I suggest Nivachrome OS? EL OS? 853? Hell even high tensile steel would be better than this Titanium garbage.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: titanium soft, inferior [Wolfwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The great thing about Ves is that he is very opinionated but stands by his beliefs and backs them up with his bikes. Laugh all you want, but ride one of his bikes and he becomes very hard to argue with.
Quote Reply
Re: titanium soft, inferior [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I dont question his bikes, but that statement makes him seem like a lost little boy in a forest of metals.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Classic.

I love how the "Scandium" frames have only a Scandium top tube (big deal) and down tube. The rest is aluminum and/or carbon fiber.

Perhaps Mandaric's frames have a lifetime warranty, just like the folks over at Litespeed, but I couldn't find anything on his site to that effect.

Will Mandaric's *scandium* frames be lighter than the new Litespeed that's 770 grams? Are they lighter than the Ghisallo? Let's compare apples-to-apples. Mandaric's top-of-the-line *scandium* frame is 3/4 lb heavier than Litespeed's current top-of-the-line titanium frame.

Personally, I'm more worried about my legs - not my Litespeed - giving up on me when I pedal my hardest.
Quote Reply