Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Yelled at Me for Passing
Quote | Reply
I did a race last Saturday that was fairly hilly. Since I'm a such a slow swimmer, I usually end up passing quite a few folks on the bike. During this race I'm putting in my work on the course and another cyclist started passing me on the left. They never completely passed my bike but we were side by side for a couple of meters. I pushed it a little harder up the hill and they weren't able complete the pass. During this time I was getting yelled at for not allowing the pass and that I'm not supposed to do that. I yelled in return to fall-back. I ended up hammering the hill and saw didn't see this competitor until I was ~5min into the run and they were just coming in on the bike. A part of me felt kinda guilty for not allowing the pass, but then I felt like if they had the strength to pass me it wouldn't have even been an issue. Which is right slow down and allow the pass, or keep pushing it up the hill.

Peace,

Rob

"Your Attitude Determines Your Altitude."
Quote Reply
Re: Yelled at Me for Passing [rob2681] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The christian triathletes would tell you to turn the other cheek. I say hammer away!

"Why do they keep inventing new ways to celebrate mediocrity" -
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the rule is that you are supposed to fall back as soon as their front wheel breaks the plain of your front wheel.

That being said If s/he didn't break the plain they hadn't passed and you do want you want to do.

OTOH It is such a waste of time and energy when people speed up just to not be passed.

~Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Were you out of the saddle when this person started his attack?

Personally.... That's what I would use as a determination.... If I'm out of the saddle and going hell bent up that hill and a person attempts to pass, that person must earn his pass... If his front wheel inches me out just one bit... I need to fall back... However, if I'm grinding up a hill seated and someone comes up for a pass and is out of the saddle and I follow suit and jump out of my saddle... I think it was your responsibilty to let the pass happen.

Just my .02 which I'm not sure is correct or not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the definition of being passed according to usat. "When the leading edge of the front wheel of one cyclist passes beyond the front wheel of another cyclist, the second cyclist has been "overtaken" within the meaning of these Rules".

So if their front wheel never got in front of yours, then you did nothing wrong. you only have to drop back once their front wheel passes yours.
Quote Reply
Re: Yelled at Me for Passing [Bob Parr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Their problem is they tried to pass on a hill. Best case for someone unless they are flying is to see how fast you are going up the hill prior to passing.

Same thing happened to me last year, once we hit the hills the passing person had no gas and I just dropped em quick to make sure they were not upset. The problem was they passed me on the flat. We traded it up the whole race... it was really kind of fun and my bike was faster than expected...racing motivates.
Quote Reply
Re: Yelled at Me for Passing [TargetGoingLong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeh that's kinda what I meant by saying it's a waste of energy when people won't allow themselves to be passed. You illistrated much better.

If you have to put extra effort forth to "hold that person off" then I think you're being foolish and wasting energy. OTOH if it just so happens you were already kicking it up a notch then they have to either fall back or pick it up a notch.

Same thing happens when driving a car. It kinda pisses me off when you have the cruise set and everytime you get to the guys door he speeds up and goes ahead a few hundred feet.

~Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Yelled at Me for Passing [deanpc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree with the out of the saddle comment. If you were just grinding and they were out of the saddle then thats one thing. If you were just starting the climb when they tried to pass then my comments stand...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess the "nice" thing to do would be to allow the pass only because it would keep the would be passer from perhaps getting a position foul (or whatever it's called). Then repass them with authority.

As I understand it their "failed" pass attempt could net them a penalty. Right?
Quote Reply
Re: Yelled at Me for Passing [beatnic_tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"As I understand it their "failed" pass attempt could net them a penalty. Right?"

Not 100% ssure but I believe you are correct. Never really understood that as in the case of someone cranking on it as you come up on them are you supposed to full out sprint to get around and blow you're entire race....or just get a penalty?

~Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Yelled at Me for Passing [Bob Parr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, the Christrian triathalon handbook allows the pass in this situation unless it was a gay, lesbian, abortionist or other sinner type, in which case we speed up.

Re: Yelled at Me for Passing [MJuric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
"As I understand it their "failed" pass attempt could net them a penalty. Right?"

Not 100% ssure but I believe you are correct. Never really understood that as in the case of someone cranking on it as you come up on them are you supposed to full out sprint to get around and blow you're entire race....or just get a penalty?

~Matt

From the USAT website:

(g) Being Overtaken. When the leading edge of the front wheel of one cyclist passes beyond the front wheel of another cyclist, the second cyclist has been "overtaken" within the meaning of these Rules. A cyclist who has been overtaken bears primary responsibility for avoiding a position foul and must immediately move to the rear and out of the drafting zone of the passing cyclist. The overtaken cyclist shall first move completely out of the drafting zone of the other cyclist before attempting to re-pass the other cyclist. In no case, however, shall a participant move into the path of another participant possessing the right of way.

(h) Exceptions. A participant may enter the drafting zone without penalty only under the following conditions:

(1) When entering the drafting zone from the rear, closing the gap, and overtaking all within no more than 15 seconds.

Quote Reply
Re: Yelled at Me for Passing [beatnic_tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I guess the "nice" thing to do would be to allow the pass only because it would keep the would be passer from perhaps getting a position foul (or whatever it's called).

Agree. Even better if you don't let people catch you in the first place.

ot
Quote Reply
Re: Yelled at Me for Passing [OT in CA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Speaking of passing, don't pass Mountain Bike One

President George W. Bush, an avid cyclist, will test his mettle against Lance Armstrong when the cycling superstar visits the president's Texas ranch this weekend.

Armstrong, 33, a cancer survivor who has won seven straight Tour de France competitions, will ride with Bush, 59, on the 1,600-acre (650-hectare) ranch on Saturday.

"The president has said that Lance is an incredible inspiration to people from all walks of life, that he's a true American champion, so I think they'll enjoy their visit on Saturday," White House spokeswoman Dana Perino said on Tuesday.

Bush turned to mountain biking after a knee injury forced him to give up running. He took a small group of reporters on a two-hour ride on his ranch in the August heat last weekend. There was one rule -- no one overtakes the president.