Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Donating Blood (good idea or bad)
Quote | Reply
As cardiovascular athletes, we like red blood cells. We all know that the hard working red-blood cells help deliver oxygen to our working muscles during exercise. So how much performance loss can I expect if I donate blood at the local blood bank? How long will I notice decreased aerobic power? This fear has always stopped me from donating in the past and I just want to survey others to see if my fears are valid.

Thanks,

Dave from VA
Quote Reply
Re: Donating Blood (good idea or bad) [DC Pattie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Drop the fear

Save a life

donate the pint.

Going into the winter months, you can afford to give a pint. Think about how good it would feel to save a life...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Animal!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Donating Blood (good idea or bad) [muppet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes it is a good idea - but dont ride your bike 6 hours after (really anything but ESPECIALLY ride your bike as crashing at 30mph when you pass out is never fun).

Dont give 3 or so weeks before a big race.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Donating Blood (good idea or bad) [Record9ti] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very true, and also hydrate.... A LOT. Most of the volume that you lose is plasma (mostly water). The more you drink, the faster you'll be back in the game, but on average, it takes about 8 weeks to FULLY replace the red blood cells. I wonder if it's faster for athletes???

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Animal!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

You could also donate platelets, which you can do much more often than whole blood (which implies that the body recovers more rapidly than from donating whole blood). Dunno about the effects of either from a performance standpoint, but I agree with sentiments from other posters that you'll most likely be glad you did it, if you do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great article about athletes and blood donation: http://www.physsportsmed.com/.../2001/06_01/news.htm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After giving blood it takes me 2 weeks untill I feel really strong again. The off season would be the best time for it too. Save a life and ease into you training again.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I donate blood regularly. If my donation time falls in the week before a race I'll delay it otherwise I don't bother.

I can't train as hard for the next 24 hours but seem to be back to full training level within a couple of days.

dt.
Quote Reply