Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Meniscus tear, is there hope after it?
Quote | Reply
For the past 4 to 5 weeks I have been experiencing some pain on my left knee while running. I went to have it checked out by what I consider to be a great orthopedic doctor. He is the head team physician of the Dallas Cowboys Football team and the Dallas Stars hockey team, so his credibility is way up there!! After his exam his diagnostic was a potential tear on my meniscus, but I would need an MRI to confirm this. At this time I can't afford to pay for it because the deductible in my insurance is pretty high and to top that, if I go get it done, there goes my hope to get the new bike I want. Anyways, the news about a potential torn meniscus really upset me. Is my "want to be a triathlete" career over? Do any of you people out there have been able to come back from a torn meniscus injury?

I am really scared about this. If the rest of my life is going to be as miserable as I have been in the last 3 weeks, I don't know what I am going to do. Please help!!!

Los
Quote Reply
Re: Meniscus tear, is there hope after it? [LosPSU94] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
meniscus tears are pretty minor (relatively speaking). I had mine repaired last dec. I walked out of the hospital w/out crutches. You'll be fine. Don't worry.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want to be a triathlete, you need to get that tear fixed. You will be so good to go after recovery and rehab, you won't believe it. This is one of those rare "good" surgeries. It is very unusual for anything other than complete return to function. The wildcard in this scenario is always: how old are you, how badly is it torn, and is there any collateral damage?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A meniscus tear is generally no big deal. I tore mine running in college. It was mis-diagnosed as ITBS by the crappy campus health center doc and I ran on it for like 3 months. By the time I finally saw a real doctor I could barely walk. I had it scoped, walked out of the hospital the same day and was running basically pain free, with a little stiffness within 2 weeks. Now three years down the road I have put in 70 mile weeks with no signs of trouble. Just get it done. You'll be glad you did.
Last edited by: Eddy Would Go: Aug 10, 05 21:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As long as they just shave the meniscus you will be better than ever in a few weeks. I was walking the day after surgery and back to normal in a few weeks.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: Meniscus tear, is there hope after it? [LarryCalifornia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Absolutely get an MRI. Won't cost you a thing as long as the Dr. orders it which they should if they are ready to cut you. Normal rebound time for an everyday working normal Joe is about 6 months full recovery. Most professional athletes are back within a month! That is because they are in the physical therapist's office 3x a day 6 days a weeks for 1 month. Most normal people can only go 1-3 times a week. All in all, you are your best physical therapist! If you get after the exercises, you will recover quick. Just don't overdo it! I assist in the surgeries about 3 times a week. A physical therapist should be able to answer more questions for ya.

Jason

"These aren't Love Handles, I just have Big Kidneys!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We just had my daughters knee dealt with. After going around and around with doctors for years, we finally found one that knew what he was talking about. Bottom line he says, is the MRI is a waste of money for knee issues. He says you more than likely will not see anything and will have to scope anyways.

So, get it scoped and let them fix what they find once they are in.

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What everybody else said.

I got mine MRI'd, then scoped in Fall '03. Walked out of the recovery room w/ the crutches in my hand, since I didn't need to use them. MRI aughta be fully covered by insurance (Doc's office will call prior and confirm that)

Mine was pretty bad, I'd split it basically in half, so they scooped out the "bad" half, and left me w/ the good stuff. It's totally fine now, what was my "bad" knee is now the "good" one. (I could probably use to have my R knee done now too, but I can work around that effectively, so I continue to do so).

From the not for nothing department - you don't have much need of a new bike if yer knee is f'd. Get the knee fixed, get a bike some other time down the road.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Meniscus tear, is there hope after it? [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hell my tear is what got me into racing triathlon in a round about way. I went from competing in Karate tournaments to racing MTB's to rehab my knee after surgery. Then it just sort of progressed from there. 8 years and 5 IM's later it is still good to go.

Kurt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had 2 meniscal tears, one on each side involving the posterior horn of each medial meniscus, confirmed with MRI. I had these during a relatively sedentary time of life before triathlon. They both actually healed without surgery or scope. I've had no additional problems since taking up running/triathlon 4 yrs ago.

Coach at KonaCoach Multisport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't had a meniscus tear, but did almost completely rupture the medial collateral ligament and partially tore my patella tendon in the same knee in separate rugby injuries. The partial patella tear was surgically repaired. Before knee surgery, I had never run a marathon or done a triathlon. Now, about ten years after the surgery, I have done seven marathons and seven triathlons, completing my first half IM last weekend. The surgically repaired knee is not quite as good as the good knee, and I am more susceptible to patella tendinitis in the bad knee. Not a huge surprise since my tendon is only half as wide as it used to be in that knee. But, as long as I’m careful and ice it really good whenever it bothers me, I have not had too many problems with it.

As far as the cost goes, medical expenses may be deductible, which would help with the cost. You can always buy a new bike next year. But, leaving your knee hurt for another year before fixing it could really mess it up.

Quote Reply
Re: Meniscus tear, is there hope after it? [CTL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
is there always pain if you tear your meniscus? or not necessarilly...i know locking is normal but pain either walking or running?

"Pain is NOT temporary,you remember every bit of it"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a torn meniscus, and have had it for about 12 years now. Apparently the "flap" either righted itself & healed or fell off... I had a very very swollen knee for about a month in 1993, I iced it & was thinking about surgery but it just started getting better & better. Never did the surgery and I ride & run with zero issues.
Quote Reply
Re: Meniscus tear, is there hope after it? [dongustav] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also if you can - take Glucosamine/Chondroitin tabs

Over the counter medication - all helps with joint recovery
Quote Reply