Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Talk to Me about Linving in Durango, Colorado
Quote | Reply
Might have a job opportunity there and it seems like paradise. Interested in goodbad/great/terrible experiences from those who have lived there + a description of the local tri scene.
Quote Reply
Re: Talk to Me about Linving in Durango, Colorado [jsmith] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't lived in Durango but I did live in Crested Butte which could be used to draw some parallels vis-a-vis living in a mountain town...

I'm not sure where you are coming from but Durango is going to feel a bit isolated if you are used to living in a city. Given that, I would say if you like the convenience of living near a city you probably won't like living there. However, if this is your idea of fun you will probably like it a lot. The quality of life with respect to outdoor activities is up there without a doubt.

[/url]

----
Don't hold back
Quote Reply
Re: Talk to Me about Linving in Durango, Colorado [jtaylor1024] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Holy large picture batman! Not sure what happened there...

----
Don't hold back
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ask Bob Roll if you can get a hold of him, but be prepared to decipher hand language. He raves about it in his book Bobke II.

-----------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't live there but we have an office there that I spend some time at. The town is small but not tiny and it is growing but if you want to do major shopping etc you need to come to Denver or down to some place in NM. The historic part of town is very cool and a big tourist area both summer and winter. You can ride your bike and ski on the same day since Durango often has fairly mild winters but you can head up the road a ways and be on your skis. I like it there but you do have to be comfortable with being isolated. I have been told that many people move there only to decide it is too remote for their lifestyle, but like anything it is a choice.

Tri scene is small so you would need to travel to races.

Another thing to consider is jobs. I don't know what you do but keep in mind that the job marked there is small so if you need to change employers it may mean another move.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Durango is a great town, I was born, raised and lived there till I went off to college. Since you have a job opportunity then you are in a good position in going there, the cost of living is high because you don't get paid that well however the quality of life is excellent. It is a very active, outdoorsy town and once you get settled it is a very friendly place. The cycling is top notch, there are only a couple group rides durging the week but the terrain is excellent and the quality of the riders is very high (town of under 20,000 has had Olympians, world champions, and top pro's in different sports), I would learn to mountain bike it has some of the best trails around it will also help with your bike handleing skills. The running club is also great and they have weekly track or hill repeat runs year round and trail runs through out the summer. The masters swim program has an excellent coach (motivator) and is also quite large and a nice pool now.

I think it is great but I don't want to give a biased opinion telling one side of so a few negatives, there isn't a ton to do outside of being active but what more do you need than that, the music scene isn't that bad though, the nearest big city is Albequerque (sp? never been able to spell it), 3+hrs and may be your best bet for cheaper flights. Flights out of Durango are expensive ($200 just to Denver and then out) so Denver is 6hr drive or Colorado Springs 5hr.

As for the tri scene, it is small but there are a few that do it, my dad being one of them, Ned Overand used to but doesn't run any more but will still kick your ass on the group rides. Through the running group and masters swim you will find the ones that do it. Side note-the group rides are road rides, definitely take the aerobars off, if you can't get that extra road bike you always wanted-the mechanics are world class (had my bike tuned by a guy that used to be a mechanic for Greg Lemond) at MBS (I'll let you figure that one out if you move there), Durango Cyclery and Hassle Free Sports. Here are a few resources for ya:

www.go-dmt.org www.durangowheelclub.com

Have fun there ya lucky bastard

Branden

"Here's to the finely tuned athlete on the verge of greatness"-Romeo, Tin Cup
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My sister-in-law lives in Pagosa Springs...

Well...It's darn beautiful. Remote, very few jobs, slightly backward people (they won't show Harry Potter at the local theatre). Very little in terms of "formal" recreational activities. However, if you want to swim, bike, run, hike, ski on your own, then it will be perfect.

I think it would be better to live there if you were independently wealthy. If you are dependent upon someone else for your employment, it's probably a bit of a risk.

If I were looking for that type of situation, I'd likely choose Steamboat over Durango...

http://wattieink.com/elite-team/
Raising funds to help wounded veterans and racing RAAM 2013 with http://team4mil.org/
"If you are gonna charge... CHARGE HARD!"
Quote Reply