Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sponsorship for Very Solid Agers
Quote | Reply
I am wondering what type of sponsorship deals an AGer who can go right at 2:00 for an olympic and 4:20 for a half can get? Do they get discounts on product? Do some sponsors help with race fees? Free massages? How does this usually work? I would like to get to a point where some of the costs of this expensive hobby are reduced. What are companies/shops looking for in return? Are they usually looking for brand recognition (if so, then it would seem they could offer sponsorship to anyone regardless of results) or are they looking for high performing athletes? Does charisma matter? In General what are they looking for? I am sure I could get some very vague responses, but please try to be more specific, especially if you are sponsored or have been sponsored or have been rejected from being sponsored. Please do not respond if your name is Mark Gingrich.
Quote Reply
Re: Sponsorship for Very Solid Agers [Flanagan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I am wondering what type of sponsorship deals an AGer who can go right at 2:00 for an olympic and 4:20 for a half can get? Do they get discounts on product? Do some sponsors help with race fees? Free massages? How does this usually work? I would like to get to a point where some of the costs of this expensive hobby are reduced. What are companies/shops looking for in return? Are they usually looking for brand recognition (if so, then it would seem they could offer sponsorship to anyone regardless of results) or are they looking for high performing athletes? Does charisma matter? In General what are they looking for? I am sure I could get some very vague responses, but please try to be more specific, especially if you are sponsored or have been sponsored or have been rejected from being sponsored. Please do not respond if your name is Mark Gingrich.

Local bike shop, you get discounted gear/tune-ups, they get you to send business their way

Individuals and business owners either out of the goodness of their heart or for exposure (most unrelated tri-business owners realize the ROI is not good to have you sporting “Donny’s Auto Repair”, etc)

Establish relationships with local race directors – what can you do for them in return for discounts/breaks on entries?

These three are your most likely source of race entry help and/or travel

Triathlon businesses – discounted gear, what sort of level of exposure can you bring, what do you offer in return, are you a respectable athlete, coach, race director, speaker, author, business owner?Other businesses – do you know some CEOs, CFOs, who have a disposable budget?

Marty Gaal, CSCS
One Step Beyond Coaching
Triangle Open Water Swim Series | Old School Aquathon Series
Powerstroke® Freestyle Technique DVD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is a great book out there called The Athlete's Guide to Sponsorship. If you are not famililiar with how sponsorship works definitely get it. It also helps you better understand the reciprocral relationship between the athlete and the sponsor....because the more you understand this, and believe in it wholeheartedly the more marketable you are to companies. I am at about the same times you mentioned and I think I have actually been quite successful with sponsorships. Start local, start local, start local... This is where I really have had a lot of success. The two local companies that sponsor me (lots of product and services) had never previously sponsored anyone...Think outside the box... Send a nice sponsorship packet with a race photo, letter stating how you could help market them and include your comp resume (the book above can help a lot with all that). I have been with these two companies now for 3 years (local vitamin store and local chiropractor). Now for bigger sponsorships just send your packets out in September/ October (there is a timeline for their bugdets) and show them how you can help them...the more you really believe in this the better off you'll be. Also if there's an elite team/club in your area that has team sponsorship that can add too...just make sure there's no conflicts, i.e., you get sponsored by Clif bar and the team your on has Powerbar....Be careful with that.

Spindogg

http://www.mountainmettle.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Does Charisma matter?"

To our bike store.....YES. If you are going to wear our jersey or store name while training and racing, you best not be an ass. Or you will lose your deal. You are not only representing yourself, but the companys that put their faith and money into you. And, check your ego at the door.(not saying you have one but...)

Get to know local RD's. They are the best way to get into a race free.

Give back to your community. Work at a race you are not in. Offer to coach a kids try club a couple of times in the summer/winter. Be GOOD. Not only at your sport, but in general.

Be part of local clubs, they may have sponsors already that can help you get sponsored.

It takes time and effort to get sponsors, if you want if badly enough, you will do the extra research it takes.

Proud member of the Guru Cartel, EH!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't thought about this much, and I'm a bit shy of your times, but IMHO, none of the effort spent on sponsorship for someone in this range really makes any sort of sense at all. Spend the time you would have spent on nurturing a sponsorship relationship working a 2nd job (creativity works in small business too) or training more to reach the pro ranks (if you have that ability.) There really isn't any money in the sport even for people going 4:05-4:10, so you'll put a lot of effort in to get relatively little ROI.

It's far more economical to do your own bike work than take discounts from a bike shop (and your bike is in better shape 24/7 as a result.)

Note that knowing RD's or race-sponsors is a great way to beat entry fee creep, but you don't need to be sponsored by the company to get a free entry, lots of my chamois sniffing friends find ways to get into races free without having to do anything but grovel.

eBay beats some pro deals on new stuff and smart eBaying with near-new stuff can get you deals that are unheard of even from a sponsored athlete (my race frame was $400, of course my riding is worth 2˘)

From my limited experience, it's simply not worthwhile to pursue anything that isn't already a personal relationship. Also factor in the pressure to do more races, or races you wouldn't do, the guilt at a dnf or injury, and the time you'll spend keeping a website or email correspondence to satisfy your sponsors.

Granted, I'm kind of a grumpy old man, so I'll just shut up about this stuff.
Quote Reply
Re: Sponsorship for Very Solid Agers [martyg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My opinion is not to go the local RD route. I was one of those RD's and what happens is everyone who has ever placed in an age group or thinks they have some special story to tell asks for free entries. So what happens is to eliminate the hassle of sorting through 100 requests per race and usually most of them come in the last 4 days before the race, the RD just tells everyone -no.

The main problem from my point of view is the elite athlete asking in that 4 day time period. If they had come to me 3-4 months before the race and I could have used them in advertising or marketing of the event, that would have been worth the cost of their free entry. In the short time frame, it does nothing for the race to let them in free.

Put together a first rate sponsor package and not just pictures and meaningless race results. Have a proposal that outline how their sponsorship for you will benefit them. Don't make them think. Have all their questions answered before you walk in the door. Why does giving you x amount of dollars going to make my company sell more widgets. Tell them what you will do to help them sell widgets and put it in writing. Wearing their logo on your jersey doesn't count. Be prepared to spend your time helping your sponsor.

Triathlon means nothing to most people. Start with family members who have businesses or know big shots in businesses. Go to Italian eateries and say how you can drive business there, go to start up fitness centers. Don't even bother wasting your time at bike shops, everyone goes there. Be creative in your approach. Everyone who has control of pursestrings are looking for novel ways to sell widgets.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What they all said so far...

Good targets: nutrition companies, local bike shop, clothing companies, sunglasses, shoe companies possibly through local rep.

Charisma and just being very well known in your local tri community might be more important than being fast. Being fast helps but I know some fast pricks and they don't get much sponsorship;) Get your name out there, race fast with a good attitude and give the sponsors more back in thier eyes than they give you.

It also REALLY helps to pick the companies you approach based on you liking thier product first. It makes them much easier to endorse and speak highly of. Plus you can use the "well yeah, they do sponsor me but I've used thier stuff and loved it way before they started sponsoring me..." line.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bottom line: How much product can you sell? Can you prove it?

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are over 45 years old, then I would say that you could get a full ride. That means that you are National and world champion, and by quite a bit. You would be a hero. If you are under 40, then you are a dime a dozen, and worth squat...Hope your dad or grandpa owns a company with some extra discretionary funds to throw your way for family sake....
Quote Reply