Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Rotor Cranks?
Quote | Reply
Okay, I'm thinking about giving Rotor Cranks a try. Pros/Cons? The website says only 5% return them...as they have a 30 day no questions asked return policy...
Quote Reply
Re: Rotor Cranks? [number9] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tried them and kept them. In my opinion I had more power at a lower heart rate. What really sold me though was the service and prompt responsive replies to any questions I had about the product and its installation. They run a first rate shop.
Quote Reply
Re: Rotor Cranks? [attybiker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gary Tingley posts here - and I am sure he will respond directly to your post - he is a first rate guy - straight up and happy to help

I reseatched the system thoroughly and if it were not for my bike not accepting anything other than a Cannondale Crank - I'd be riding them right now!

Great system - you'll be very happy
Quote Reply
Re: Rotor Cranks? [attybiker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've heard that too. However, I've also heard it's heavier and harder to mash....as it's not really for "spinners"...Also read that almost no pros use them and none in the TDF...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tried them - like them and they do make a difference particularly standing and going up hill, I think I go a little faster. I am a spinner and road race, on the flats and rolling I dont notice them. Having said all that I took them off the bike b/c a) the Q factor (I have a triple RC) was too different and I could not get used to them, b) for some reason no amount of lock tite would hold it in place and thus they spent a few too many days in the shop. This might have been caused by the LBS who did not know how to install them, not really sure. The weight thing was never a real issue.

So now I have a pair for sale!

I would consider them again as they did have a noticeable effect particularly while out of the saddle.

Quote | Reply
We have had great feedback from the field, particulary with triathlon and road/TT racing. As you probably have read, the do eliminate the dead spot, assist with climbing efficiency, and lower your heart rate/lactic acid production for the same effort.

Try them out, I think you will like the performance benefits.

If I can help answer any other questions you may have, send me an email and I will get right back to you.

Gary Tingley - www.RotorCranks.com
Quote Reply
Re: Rotor Cranks? [SimpleS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you may want to try the Q-rings when they are available. They are really nice to use, no issue with the Q factor. I don't think they help as much as the RC, but they do give non neg. benefits, specially on the climbs.
Quote Reply
Re: Rotor Cranks? [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks I need all the help I can get on climbs! Are these Shimano only or is there a Campy option, any idea? Also how did you determine where to set the "adjustment point" (for want of a better term) ?

Quote | Reply
I have the shimano proto, but maybe there is a campy. Gary will answer that one.
I use the reg point 3 for the moment. I will try the 4-5 later to see if I notice a significant difference.
Quote Reply
Re: Rotor Cranks? [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois,

Did you race on the Q rings this past weekend?-- Great bike split, by the way.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Re: Rotor Cranks? [jmhtx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes I did. As said in the thread 'beke's test' my bike split was actually a bit faster than 2h17' and I was very conservative on the bike so it's quite positive.
Q-rings felt pretty good despite using much smaller gears (53-40 as they are the only ones avail) so I was spinning a bit more (it's all relative though...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois is the only US based elite triathlete on the Q-Rings, and one of only five in the US to test them for us. I have a couple elite National and Masters world champ, US road racers on them as well, similar feeback as Francois'. We have a couple other IM pros on them in Europe.

These will not be available for a couple months, hopefully, once testing and production are completed. I will have more info after Interbike. Right now we only have the protos in 40/53, all sizes are going to be produced, both for 130 and 135mm BCD spacing, however the smallest we can go with the inner ring is 40T.

They really shine when the course heads upwards.

More to follow in 2 mos., or so.

Gary Tingley, RotorCranks.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Both my Zipp 2001 bikes have Rotor Cranks. I've since sold both my DA 180 crank sets! Lower heart rate, faster splits and better running off the bike. I think the better runs are due to the lower cadence biking matching my run cadence. Using regular cranks my cadence was higher.

I'll be doing RAAM 2006 on Rotor Cranks. Now I have to buy a 3rd set as I'll be using my road bike (doesn't have RC's since I don't use it much) on the mountain sections and the Zipps on the flats.

I was always about top 10% in bike splits in my age group at local tri's (50-54). My first race on Rotors produced a top 8 overall bike split (500 people) and #1 in my age group by over 1:30 in 11.5 miles. AND this was a training race for me as I was doing the Florida State TT the following day. I could have gone much faster on the bike.

Try 'em...you'll love 'em!!

Paul
Quote Reply