Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IMWIS--Five weeks to go!
Quote | Reply
How is the training going for everybody? I just finished two back-to-back giant weeks. I totaled 57.5 hours for the two weeks, and I felt/feel great! I can't wait for the race!

On Saturday I went to Madison to ride the course for the first time. I didn't realize it beforehand, but my drivetrain isn't adjusted properly, so I had to do without my three largest cogs. Just a note (that I'm sure everybody already knows), 42x17 is INSUFFICIENT GEARING for this course! Grinding up some of those hills at 7-8 mph with a cadence below 40 was not fun!

If you have not seen the course, I highly recommend previewing it. It has a lot of twists and turns, and I feel much more confident now that I have seen it.

-Colin

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: IMWIS--Five weeks to go! [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My training is also going well, I just finished a big 3 week block. I also rode the course on Saturday ... it is as tough as I thought it would be. I plan to change my cassette out for a 12/23 or 12/25.

I hope your preparation continue to go well!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad to hear things are going well...BTW, I'd suggest doing lots of non-wetsuit swimming (as the water temp is 80+F)!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My full caliman IM is on Sept 17th. Guess thats about 5 weeks. Have been averaging maybe 5 to 8 hours of training a week, including

the race weekends. I sure will be putting my training test methods on the line. I just do not believe one has to do these crazy hours that folks talk about.

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let's see....

Bailed on yesterday's planned century ride at the 70 mile point because new cleats were making my left knee feel like somebody was pounding a nail into it everytime I pushed on the pedals...

Had to stop swimming due to a raging chlorine allergy that made it feel like I would never, ever breathe through my nose again....

And, last but not least, had to settle for a treadmill run due to thunderstorms all day Saturday....and it seems like my running is going backward after a great start this spring....

So, not great. But hey, at least I won't be overtrained!! Ha ha!

Spot

Quote | Reply
And I beat you will do "better". Even if it meant you had a life!

Dave

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Colin - I can't imagine grinding out that course with a 42x17...ouch, my knees! How'd you like the gravel on Garfoot Rd? Sounds like you're really doing your homework...just gotta survive a couple more weeks of peak training and then it's well-deserved taper time. Been hitting it pretty hard the last couple weeks, although I haven't totalled up anything, so I can't provide numbers...suffice it to say that I'm gettin' that 'ready' feeling. Hope you're still in for the big ride on the 19th...should be a blast. I went up to Madison this past weekend as well - planned to ride 3 loops, but it just wasn't a good day - had to abandon after 2 loops due to a broken chain on my buddy's bike. It wasn't a total loss...the buffalo burger at the Great Dane (and their fine porter) helped ease the pain.

http://www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
5 weeks....hmmm better start training.

Seriously though trainings not going to well. Well unless you count moving 20 ton of rock to build an artificial pond and stream...then I rock!

Have gotten a couple 100+'s in but nothing consitant recently in running or swimming.

Pretty much resigned myself to the "I'm doing it for fun" mentality a couple of months ago and by god I'm gonna HAVE fun!

~Matt
Quote Reply
Re: IMWIS--Five weeks to go! [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
be sure to post about how Caliman goes with the low training volume. Lots of people would be interested in your training plan if it works.
Quote Reply
Re: IMWIS--Five weeks to go! [goolsbee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I am very interested in this myself. I am going to finish, not get a time. I will be very happy with 13 hours.

I just got my first 1st place in my age group at the TBF tri for real on sunday. I also won the series AG first place which was cool. The person ahead of me coming in broke his arm a few days ago so it became mine to lose. What is real cool is we won a free pass into the TBF tri for real OLY series next season. First time I have won what I would call money or any first place award. It was not about being first, since I was 5th and 4th in the other races, but about completing all three. Last year I broke my shoulder before the last year coming in third place.

I have the FIT on Sunday.

Will let people know how it goes. Now, I know I will not set any race time records, but, I have too many other things in my life to just focus on Tri's only. Balance to me is critical!!

Dave

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Training sucks, my run sucks, my bike sucks, my swim sucks, my transitions suck, but other than that I think I am ready.
Quote Reply
Re: IMWIS--Five weeks to go! [mthammer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, the gravel on Garfoot. Fortunately I had been warned about that (thanks to ahoodlum). In my opinion it's more than annoying, that was downright dangerous. But I suppose it will be mostly clear in 5 weeks. If not, there are going to be many, many crashes there!

I'm not yet sure about the ride on the 19th. We'll see if I think I need more hill riding. Wait...I certainly need more hill riding; the question is can I afford another trip to Madison! :) If only champaign could import a few hills...I will certainly be nice to have my 42x23 next time!!

-C

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, I'm getting stoked. Things are going well........IM training has made my swim slow though, my interval times suck right now. Don't worry too much about the water temperature, there's plenty of cool nights left in Madison.

I did a 6 hr bike / 50 min. run last Sat, followed by a 2 hr 30 min run on Sun. The thing I'm doing differently this year is actualy hill training. Rode 80 miles of the Powerman Ohio bike course a couple weeks ago and that was absolutely brutal. I'll do another 80 miler, the 3rd week out

This weeknd I've got a nice little block, including 4 hr ride on Friday, Sat 90 min run, 90 min bike, 90 min run and then another 6 hr ride on Sun.

I'm really trying to dial in on some nutritions stuff, lots of hammer gel on my long runs and carbo pro/gels on the bike.

Foo

People I've loved, I have no regrets
Some I remember, some I forget
Some of them living, some of them dead
All I want is to be home ".....Foo Fighters, Home

Quote Reply
Re: IMWIS--Five weeks to go! [WiScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Given that they will use the patented Ironman North America thermometer with a max range of 77 degrees, you can be sure it will be a wetsuit swim. That being said, I would get a sleeveless, cause if you wear a full sleeve you will unknowingly cook and cramp on the bike and run. This phenomenon was on full display for many at LP.
Quote Reply
Re: IMWIS--Five weeks to go! [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL. Pretty much true....

What's the verdict on that Neo?
Quote Reply
Re: IMWIS--Five weeks to go! [FooFighterFan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am also in for IM W. Should be interesting as it is my first. I have put in a number of 90-110 mi rides and peaked at a 2.5 hour run. Swim is slow but steady, I am hoping for the life preserver, I mean wetsuit. I have been riding the Buckeye lake 1/2 ironman course which is pretty hilly as well. Where is the Powerman course?

see you in Madison
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hopefully all will go well, since this is my 1st. Been doing a 13 week program and hope it's enough. 95% mental, right? I'd be happy to be the last 1 in!

You win some.
You loose some.
You wreck some.
A-
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck at IM MOO...look for the Chicago Tri club guys a the Cross plains bike aide station around Bourban street on the ride....!!

------------------------------------------------

Trying to find ways to pass the time.
Quote Reply
Re: IMWIS--Five weeks to go! [Triman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I am also in for IM W. Should be interesting as it is my first. I have put in a number of 90-110 mi rides and peaked at a 2.5 hour run. Swim is slow but steady, I am hoping for the life preserver, I mean wetsuit. I have been riding the Buckeye lake 1/2 ironman course which is pretty hilly as well. Where is the Powerman course?

see you in Madison
Triman - The Powerman is at MidOhio up by Mansfield. It's a 16 mile loop but is basically all hills, the longest stretch of anything flat is maybe 2 miles. We did 80 and there was more climbing in that 80 than at WI. Buckeye is good enough though. Get on www.fatrabbit.com if you want more info on the course. I think even a 3 laper (50 miles) is adequate for a training ride especially as we start to get under 4 weeks.....don't want to overdo it.

People I've loved, I have no regrets
Some I remember, some I forget
Some of them living, some of them dead
All I want is to be home ".....Foo Fighters, Home

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
News is that the run goes through Camp Randall stadium again! Should be fun.....!
Quote Reply
Re: IMWIS--Five weeks to go! [matti58] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am in as well, training is having ups and downs. June went well got 4 100 mile rides in July was consumed with family stuff, now I am trying to make up for lost time in July. Legs are little flat, but two more big week-ends and then its taper time.

Some of the training y'all are putting in makes me feel like I may be undertrained, but overall I am about average in my training time.

This is my 5th IM did IMFLAT (FLA) 4 times and the very slight overpass hill at mile 100 seemed tuff nevermind the continious hills that will be at MOO. I have done my share of hills in training so I will hopefully be prepared.

Peace,

RF
Quote Reply