Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Vasa -- Who uses it and how?
Quote | Reply
I've Gordo's stuff on his site.

I'd like to hear how others use it, how they incorporate it into their swim workouts. I'm thinking I might add it after 2 swim sessions per week. Slowly build up the Vasa volume on partial and full pulls.

I have one already, and I mostly use it for rows and other moderate resistance training that's not specific to swimming.

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Re: Vasa -- Who uses it and how? [Aztec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have one at my business and use it with some of my athletes. We use it as a muscular endurance workout, with particular emphasis on the catch. I find that elbow droppers can learn the movement of a high elbow catch more easily on the Vas without the dynamics of breathing and rotation.

I think the Vasa is a very effective tool, but it definitely is not a replacement for swimming. Don't cut back on swimming to use the Vasa, it is a supplement.

Ken

Ken Mierke
Head Coach, Fitness Concepts
http://www.Fitness-Concepts.com
Author, The Triathlete's Guide to Run Training
Quote Reply
Re: Vasa -- Who uses it and how? [KenMierke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought one for my personal use and for my two daughters, who are on a local club swim team. It absolutely has helped especially with training for proper arm/hand position, although it seemed very awkward at first until I got a feel for the proper rhythm. Because I don't have to float, breathe, etc., I can really concentrate on specific motions that I want to improve. I use it 2-3 times a week, I do 6 sets of 30, alternating between free and fly, with a one minute recover between sets. If you do get one, get them to throw in the upgraded paddles, or buy them. They really are better than the default ones.

Live long and surf!
Quote Reply
Re: Vasa -- Who uses it and how? [stevebs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I definitely won't use it to replace any pool time -- no question there.

When you say you use it for freestyle, do you rotate at all, or just do a pull on one side, do it in reverse (because you can't really do a true recovery) and then repeat with the other side? Or do you pull both sides at once?

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You actual do a recovery, but it's linked in to your pull on the other side. You can pull bith arms at the same time as well. On my fly sets, I do a fly-like recovery.

Live long and surf!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah, so you are not using "normal" swim timing, but rather more like a kayak?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yes

Of course the tool is not intended for training whole stroke, rather it allows you to focus on some specific areas for improvement. Anyway, I'm glad I bought it.

Live long and surf!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you describing the new vasa ergometer swim machine or their other machine, vasa trainer? which one is best?
Quote Reply
Re: Vasa -- Who uses it and how? [Sage01] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the Vasa Trainer, and I'm happy with it. I haven't tried the other machine. I'd really like to Vasa come up with a software tool like SpinScan to show how you're really spending your energy.

Live long and surf!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would not waste my money on a Vasa trainer. Just buy a pair of stretch coards and attach them to a pair of paddles and you've got the same thing for way less and taking up almost no space.
Quote Reply