Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best Books
Quote | Reply
So, we've got the ever-popular "Triathlete's Training Bible" and Jobst Brandt's "The Bicycle Wheel" and numerous other reference books. But what are everyone's favorite triathlon-applicable reads?
Quote Reply
Re: Best Books [Koz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For IM-distance it has to be "Going Long" by Gordo and Friel.

Mark

aka Hairy legs
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Add Gale Bernhardt's Training Plans for Multisport Athletes to TTB and Going Long and I think you have the three most useful tri training books available.

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Best Books [jmorrissey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For just an easy read about history of IM HI (up until 1990, I think), check out Iron Will by Mike Plant. It was an awesome book.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Run With The Best 2nd Edition. Tony Benson and Irv Ray.

Yes it is a running book by I am yet to read a better book on endurance training. The principles in the book can be applied to swimming and cycling and triathlon with enourmous success. Tony actually coaches more triathletes then runners now using his methods.

Since the book's first edition was released I've started to see components of the Run With The Best philosphy/system emerge in a lot of Triathlon coaches programs and articles. No coincidence.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zinn and the Art of Road Bike Maintenance
It's Not About the Bike
Quote Reply
Re: Best Books [JohnA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For running:

Daniels Running Formula by Jack Daniels

Running With the Buffalos is a good read too.

For Multisport:

SERIOUS Training for Serious Athletes by from Rob Sleamaker and Ray Browning are good too./

Jason Goldberg
FIT Multisports
Quote Reply
Re: Best Books [jasonogk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Pain-Free Triathlete

by Donnelly and Cohen MD.

I would have not been able to complete my first IM without it (much less train for it).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a relative newbit, I started a couple of years ago with SERIOUS Training for Endurnace Athletes. It has served as a trusted reference ever since - almost considering getting another copy since it's so tathered. Picked up TTB for this year and it is great, too - more geared specifically to tri than SERIOUS. But having just lucked out on picking the right book to start considering triathlon, SERIOUS is my pick.

It took patience to follow these regimens, but that common theme of strong base building has really paid off by huge gains in the past two years.

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the real newbie, perhaps, Triathlon Training in Four Hours a Week by Eric Harr. Breaks it down so it is totaly not intimidating for a first timer. By his own admission, not for the seasoned athlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Books [davidblaine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Competitive Edge (Mental Prep for Distance Running) by elliot - I think most of us overlook this side of things way to often. In addition for all endurance athletes The Lore of Running by Tim Noakes is both the hardest and most informative 1000 odd pages I have ever read on endurance sports. TTB and Going Long are great tools.

http://www.endurancesports.ca
Coaching and Training Camps

Quote Reply
Re: Best Books [Zulu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's a run training book, I'm not sure what it's called. I think it's by James Galway (or however you spell his name)

Anyone know the book i'm talking about?
Quote Reply
Re: Best Books [Zulu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's a run training book, I'm not sure what it's called. I think it's by James Galway (or however you spell his name)

Anyone know the book i'm talking about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tim Krabbe's "The Rider" for inspiration - chess grandmaster turned bicycle pro's account of a race.

SERIOUS Training for Endurance Athletes - a great book applicable to many endurance sports and lots of templates available on the web.
Quote Reply