Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Powder coating
Quote | Reply
I am going to be rebuiding my Softride and was thinking about having it coated instead of repainted. My thoughts were uniqueness and more durability, but really uniqueness. Are there any opinions on powdercoating vs painting?

Thanx,

Brian
Quote Reply
Re: Powder coating [pedalincoastal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Powdercoating is very durable. It's also pretty limited to purely opaque colors, and a single color at that.

Most custom painters use Dupont Imron, and it offers the possiblity of pearls and metalflakes and all sorts of fades. Some of Joe Bell's paint jobs look 6 inches deep.

Mine is a dark blue metalflake base, overpainted with royal blue pearl. It's so friggin gorgeous I can't hardly stand myself when I'm out on PCH for a Sunday cruise.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out www.spectrumpowderworks.com - lots of good info and tons of pics of their work. I haven't had anything done there myself, but it sounds like THE place to go from what people on other forums have said.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I powder coated my Softride RocketWing this past winter and I love it. It is flat black with a rough texture to it. Very stealthy and durable. I could email pics of you like.
Quote Reply
Re: Powder coating [jabroz01] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spectrum does great work--they did my Dean. Their only problem is their turnaround time. My bike took about three months, which is a bit long for a single color, non-metallic powerdercoat. Joe Bell, Cycle Art, Airglow and Creative Cycle Works all do extraordinary work with far less lead time.

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: Powder coating [konabro2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Konabro... send those photos!!

Also, I was talking to someone that had there road frame powdercoated and he said it added almost a quarter pound. Is powdercoating heavier than a paint job? After redo'ing the frame I was going to "lighten" up with a new fork and FSA carbon cranks, ti-BB and head set. It would seem silly to spend all the money on these and then dump extra weight on with the frame finish.

Brian
Quote Reply