Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

OT: $&%*#*&% UHaul!
Quote | Reply
I am moving, or rather, was supposed to move this weekend. So I made a 'reservation' with UHaul to rent a truck. I paid a $5.00 non-refundable service fee, and confirmed a reservation for tomorrow afternoon. Well, yesterday I call Uhaul to check on the reservation and am told they cannot inform me about a reservation until the day before the pickup. I say OK.

So, tonight, at 8pm, they call me to tell me there is no truck for me. Apparently they do not understand the concept of a 'reservation'. They then tell me that they have no trucks available until August 8th. At which point I ask why they didn't tell me that yesterday. To which they answer that they don't know about the availability of trucks until the day before pickup. At which point I ask them how on Thursday, they didn't know about Saturday, but that on Friday, they could inform me about the availability for the next week. Apparently the crystal ball of scheduling only works on Friday nights.

So now I sit in a packed up apartment with no way to move all my crap. Granted, its an in town move, but it might take just a few trips to move all my stuff in my Wrangler. I guess I could move the coach, dressers, and entertainment center on my aerobars. I have to be out by Sunday at noon, and while my buddies will be able to get most of my crap out, I have no way of moving desks, dressers, etc.

The thing I love about it is that they call at 8pm to tell me. Thus leaving me with no time to or chance to rent a truck with another provider. No place is open at 8am, plus, its usually kinda busy in a college town at the end of July.

Thus, I will not be doing anymore races as I plan to spend every weekend renting Uhaul trucks, getting the insurance, and then ramming the truck into other Uhaul trucks.

Any Slowtwitchers out there in Tallahassee with a truck? I would of course provide compensation in alcohol and or Gu.

- Nick
Now that I know some of you guys look through the special needs bags for kicks, I'm gonna put some really weird stuff in mine. I can see it now. "What the heck was he going to do with a family pack of KFC chicken, a football helmet full of peanut butter, a 12 inch rubber dildo, and naked pictures of Bea Arthur?"
Quote Reply
Re: OT: $&%*#*&% UHaul! [stallion1031] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Try Penske.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
same exact thing happened to me with U-Haul this June, except I was moving a 3-BR house from DC to Boston. At first it was, 'we don't know when you get your truck but you're #1 on our list' (clearly to get us off the phone). On moving day it was, 'we can't tell you what time you'll get the truck, we'll call you'. we NEVER heard from them. Unbelievable. Penske, of course, was more than willing to take our money in exchange for a nice truck. I'll go with Penske every time from now on.

People: Do NOT rent a U-Haul. They're terrible. (Thank god they don't make tri bikes so I can say that here).

Josef
-------
blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So what was the $5 for?

I've never had a good experience with U-Haul. I'd go with any other option available if given a choice.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You have my empathy for sure. This is a story I've heard all too often. U-Haul are a bunch a crooks.

I've moved with Buget Truck the last couple times, no probs. But they too don't know if a truck will be available until 24-48 hrs before, but that its "99%" sure it'll be there - whatever.

Please please please, whatever you do, do not go with movers (unless your company/new employer is footing the bill). It is an unregulated business and you will get scammed. I could give my own personal story which was a PITA, but I'll let this website tell it like it is. Want to get pissed? Google: moving scams

http://www.movingscam.com/
Quote Reply
Re: OT: $&%*#*&% UHaul! [thunderoadie42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most Lowes, Home depot type stores rent a stakes side truck by the hour. No reservation no nothing. Give them a call.

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hate to say it, bt a friend with a pick-up is a friend indeed. I knew someone who had a monster pick-up and he had a bumper sticker that said "I won't help you move" on it.

Seriously, rent one, borrow one or offer pizza and beer to a buddy with one. They carry unbelievable amounts of stuff. Add your Jeep to the mix and you could probably move an apartment in about two to three trips. Might be a long day, but it will get done.

Good luck man.

It's a dry heat!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recently overheard a coworker talking to Uhaul at work on a wednesday. getting the same story that they wouldn't know until the day before.

I immediately told him to make other arrangements.

He talked to the local gas station who rents uhauls rather than the local "Uhaul rental center." Apparently the gas station knows whether its trucks will be rented on that day and will tell you so. That didn't work out so he went with ryder.

Unfortunately I have heard your story many times before. Definitely call ryder.
Quote Reply
Re: OT: $&%*#*&% UHaul! [Kevin in MD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I called everyplace in town. No dice. Its a college town on a moving weekend. I was able to rent a silverado from Hertz, but it is supposed to rain all weekend. SO im looking forward to a soggy couch.

- Nick
Now that I know some of you guys look through the special needs bags for kicks, I'm gonna put some really weird stuff in mine. I can see it now. "What the heck was he going to do with a family pack of KFC chicken, a football helmet full of peanut butter, a 12 inch rubber dildo, and naked pictures of Bea Arthur?"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
damn. u-hual does suck. last long weekend when our OPP do highway blitzes, 5 u-haul trucks were pulled off the road as unsafe. people with their stuff loaded in them weren't too happy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

You shouldn't trust a truck rental company whose motto is, "An adventure in moving."

Moving day is no day for adventures!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, UHaul is bad. I had a similar thing happen to me when I thought I had a reservation for a truck for a weekend to move my house. Got there and no reservation on file. Had the whole help crew standing around with nothing to do. Luckily, Penske had a truck available that day and the move was saved.

I also hate their insurance policy. All I need is a small van...$20 advertised on the side of the van. I can handle that. Stop in to take the van, and they REQUIRE you to buy commercial insurance, another $20.

Long and short, I don't rent from U Haul
Quote Reply