Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Reno, Nevada
Quote | Reply
I've relocated to Reno for grad school. I got into town last night, and let me tell you, quite a bit different from western Michigan. I know there are a couple cycling groups around here, including a team of sorts through the university. Any STers know any good rides in this area? One of my proffs is going to show me some good courses, particularly one around Lake Tahoe (approx. 75 miles.) Also, anyone know where a guy can find a lap pool in this city?

Hopefully I'll still have time to train and enjoy the sport during the school year. I'm just trying to figure all this out before training and orientation begin in a week. Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: Reno, Nevada [Train] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One of my buddies from high school went to WMU and also went to Reno to do his graduate work. He still lives there.....weird.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Any STers know any good rides in this area?"

i'm a wolfpack alumnus. plenty of good rides. and even better the running.

the Reno Area Triathletes are a real good group. Several of them monitor this forum. plenty of really good triathletes there.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi,

There are plenty of great rides around Reno. If you like, we are riding around Bowers, through Carson, out Jacks Valley, around Diamond Valley, up to Virgina City and back down Geiger Saturday if you want to join. Total miles for the total ride would be upwards of 130-140.

Regarding swimming. Great outdoor 50 meter pool at Idlewild. Lap swim from 11:30-12:50 daily and from 6-7pm. Sierra Nevada Masters group workouts all around town as well.

Check out www.renoareatriathletes.com for Pyramid Lake triathlon (free embroidered Desoto bag to frist 300 entrants).

I will PM you with my phone number.

Welcome - Dave
Quote Reply
Re: Reno, Nevada [Fishman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dave, thanks for the information and the invite. My longest ride this year has been 80 miles as I didn't do anything longer than olympic races. There is no way I would survive 140 miles through the mountains. I'm not a climber to begin with, but hopefully with some time I can develop into one. Just driving around here intimidates me...also inspires. But thanks again for the invite; maybe by next year I will be able to hang.

I'm off to run for the first time here...4000 feet and mountains...should be awesome.

Thanks again, guys.
Quote Reply
Re: Reno, Nevada [Fishman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't know you lived up there! :) I love that area, beautiful!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Train,

You are super close to Tahoe, take advantage of it! You can do some really nice rides around the lake. Sure, it's an hour drive to gether there, but... it's well worth it.

I used to live in Christmas Valley at the bottom of Hwy 50. I wish I would have moved to Reno or Carson instead of back to Georgia. *sigh*

Good luck to you and enjoy the powder this winter!

Trae

--
Trae McCombs
TSR - Sponsored by the Masses. Racing for the hell of it.
Ironman Finisher 2005 -- 14:09:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What are you studying?
Quote Reply
Re: Reno, Nevada [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, tell me about the Lake Tahoe Triathlon in September! Good, bad!?!?
Quote Reply
Re: Reno, Nevada [jhendric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm studying psychology, specifically behavior analysis. Kestrelkerri, I just moved here from Michigan. I must say, this area is geographically beautiful. I'm excited both about school and the outdoor opportunities in the surrounding area. I've never rafted, camped, hiked, or done any kind of hang/para gliding, and that is only part of what this area offers.

I just received an email from the school and my training/orientation begins next week. Hopefully this first year won't be all 14 hour days like some of the next few years will be. Talking to all the current grads makes me confident that I'll at least be able to put in a few hours of training during the week; although my athletic goals may need to switch from being competitive to training for relaxation and health benefits.

Today was actually my second run here. When I interviewed for the program back in March I ran an 8 miler with my host. I wasn't necessarily in better shape then, but the run was absolutely flawless. Today's 3 miler was horrible. I was out the door by 6 am, and literally running either uphill or downhill the entire time. Michigan isn't necessarily a flat state, but it certainly cannot hold anything to Nevada. I now understand that simply by virtue of working out in this area I will necissarily become a climber. I am even more impressed now with athletes who can power up mountain passes, whether tour riders, triathletes, or recreational cyclists. The only good thing about the run this morning was watching the sun rise over the Sierra Nevadas and illuminate the entire east face of Mount Rose. Simply beautiful.

Kerri, not sure I'll be doing the Tahoe tri in september. By that point I'll be working 30 hours/week ontop of class work. We all have tough schedules, and mine is probably average of everyone on this site, but I don't think I'll the time or energy to compete. I'll certainly be checking the results though; who knows, maybe in 6 years I'll be tough enough to be competitive in the mountains!

Thanks for all the replies and recommendations.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just returned from my frist trip tp Reno. I did a tri at Donner lake. There's lot's of good riding and running in that area. I saw a big group of roadies on the 50 heading toward Tahoe from Carson city. Make sure you get over to Lake Tahoe. I'm eager to go back.
Quote Reply