Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Running 4 to 4 1/2 hours, 6 times per week. Is that bad?
Quote | Reply
That was the question posed to me by a patient this morning. Well actually he didn't pose the question really, but he was genuinely surprised when I told him that his knee pain is likely due to the fact that he runs 18-19 miles per day 6 days per week. He doesn't run on Sundays because that day he has to do something else, so he swims for 3 hours.

Now this guy limped into my office, nearly jumped off the table when I touched his knee, had a hard time sitting up because of his knee pain and he's not sure he should take a break from running.

Oh I forgot to mention, he's been doing this schedule for the last 3 years and coincidentally he has had knee pain for 3 years. He ran cross country in High school and track/CC in college, but the 5 mile runs just wasn't enough for him, he didn't feel challenged. He also lifts weights several times per wek.

He is currently training for BUDs (Navy SEALS), but he doesn't even really want to do that. He's only doing it because his brother is a SEAL and this will get him off his back, that and his shipmates tell him "might as well put all that exercise to good use, be a SEAL". Also, he gets off work at 2pm so what else is there to do the rest of the day.

I get patients on both ends of the spectrum. The 19 year-olds who want a light duty chit for every ache and pain they feel and the ones who wouldn't take light duty if both their legs were blown off.

Dan Hollingsworth

Nobody grows old by merely living a number of years. People grow old only by deserting their ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up interest wrinkles the soul." - Douglas MacArthur
Quote Reply
Re: Running 4 to 4 1/2 hours, 6 times per week. Is that bad? [Lieutenant_Dan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is the same guy who came in last week with a hammer in his hand, complaining of a headache, right?

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Running 4 to 4 1/2 hours, 6 times per week. Is that bad? [Lieutenant_Dan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought I was nuts running 2 hrs a day all this week getting ready for an ultra. Tell him you prescribe a good coach. Let SMAC take him down a couple of notches.

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Re: Running 4 to 4 1/2 hours, 6 times per week. Is that bad? [Jim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Of course, I told him he should buy a bike and start doing IM. He's not motivated by competing anymore. He just runs to run. It's his stress relief. He must have a lot of damn stress if it takes 4 1/2 hours a day.

Dan Hollingsworth

Nobody grows old by merely living a number of years. People grow old only by deserting their ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up interest wrinkles the soul." - Douglas MacArthur
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tell him to write a book and go on Oprah ala Dean Karnazes

-------------
"Knowledge is good" - Emil Faber
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was his name Forest?

Quote | Reply
he should be running much faster than he apparently is after all that running the past 3 years. 4 hrs is an awefully long time to run 18 miles
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe suggest some therapy instead of running? Anyone who is running that much for stress reduction and is training for BUDS to get his brother off his back has some issues. Not sure how you make it through BUDS on bad knees and no real motivation to be a SEAL. There are tons of super healthy, tough, fit (and smart) guys who don't make that goal because they don't have the mental focus.

So is he going to cut back or just keep running on them?
Quote Reply
Re: Running 4 to 4 1/2 hours, 6 times per week. Is that bad? [dmpeak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I would think that with HS and collegiate cc/track history he would be a little faster than that. Usually I can tell when someone is feeding me a line of BS, for some reason this guy seemed genuinely believable.

He did run at Cincy, they're not necessarily known for their track & cc teams are they?

Dan Hollingsworth

Quote Reply
Re: Running 4 to 4 1/2 hours, 6 times per week. Is that bad? [5280] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He told me he will follow all my recommendations. Unfortunately I won't get to follow-up with him as I am transferring in 2 weeks.

He has no interest in "making it through" BUDS. When I told him he probably would wash out because of his knee he looked relieved.

Dan Hollingsworth

Quote Reply