Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Jetstream & bike racks
Quote | Reply
When I had my old bike with drop bars I sometimes had trouble racking the bike with the Jetstream, so I stopped using it. My new bike has bullhorn bars instead - so I'm wondering if I will still have problems. I have been using it for the last month and like being able to carry enough nutrition and mixing with cold water. Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Jetstream & bike racks [rlirwin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a Profile bottle and have had no problems. The bullhaorns stick out a little farther than drops. If you rack by the saddle, there's no issue at all.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Jetstream & bike racks [frogonawire 6.2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With the 650 wheels - my bike doesn't rack well from the seat - maybe that's another question I should post - you're certainly righ that if I rack by the seat I wouldn't have a problem.
Quote Reply
Re: Jetstream & bike racks [rlirwin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to ride a 650 and had no problem racking with an aero bottle. BUt what's wrong with saddle racking? The wheel just hangs, suspended.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I used to ride a 650 and had no problem racking with an aero bottle. BUt what's wrong with saddle racking? The wheel just hangs, suspended.

My bike (a 58cm P2K) won't fit under the rack when hung by the saddle. I did that once when I was the first one to rack my bike. When I came back later, and the rack was full, it had dropped so much that I almost couldn't get it out.

I find that my bike (with Oval A700s) is held in place by one brake lever and my Jetstream. IOW, the bottle is between the two levers, thus preventing them from both hanging on the rack. Not a problem.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Some races specify handlebar racking only, no seat racking.

Aloha,

Larry
Quote Reply
Re: Jetstream & bike racks [LarryM96815] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
had same issue and could not figure a way to rack with bullbars or seat, so put a minoura rear-mount dual-bottle cage holder on without the extra hardware/bottles.

doesn't seem to affect mount/dismount and very lightweight.

leebee
Quote Reply
Re: Jetstream & bike racks [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know what you mean about racking a large sized bike by the seat. Some races the racks are lower than others. At Ironman North America races you must rack the bike by the saddle nose which with my bike requires some maneuvering, either lifting the font wheel to the sky or leaning it to the left or right. This year at Arizona when I was in transition the volunteers could not figure out how to get my bike out! I had to come and lift the front end to the sky to get enought clearance to get it out.

When I am in an "A" race I just go with frame mounted bottle holders to keep things simple, but I train with frame mounts plus the behind the saddle mounts to have enough fluids since there are no aid stations in training. Yesterday I did a "B" race and just left the behind the saddle mount on and I found that it was much easier to mount the bike backwards. I think that I will leave them on for Ironman Florida even if I do not use them, certainly a few grams behind the saddle will not penalize me much on that flat PCB course.

BTW I talked to Paul Huddle at Ironman Arizona and mentioned to him that they should get some taller racks so that situations like mine do not happen.
Quote Reply