Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

torn miniscus
Quote | Reply
Getting my right knee scoped wednesday. For those of you who have had this done, how long did recovery take?
Quote Reply
Re: torn miniscus [drmthtr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i took significantly longer to place stress on the knee than what the doc suggested. that has turned out to be a good decision.

mine was done in mid december. doc thought i could be back to biking within a week, and running within 2-3. i however put no stress on the knee for 2 weeks after. then i eased back in with treading water, legs only for up to an hour, for 4 weeks before stationary biking and running. no lingering issues at all. I've talked to too many who pushed real early and paid a heavy price.

Train hard...race well.
www.jimmishler.com
"Jim, I happen to agree with you" DougStern
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got mine scoped on May 17th for a complex tear of the miniscus. The Dr told me to get on stationary bike asap (3 days). I had to wait 10 days to get back in the pool, because of infection risk. I was walking without a limp within a week.

I completed an Xterra on June 6th and have done two others since.

My Dr. was cool with aggressive rehab. At my 2 week follow up he said to start running.

The Dr.'s attitude gave me a lot of confidence in the recovery.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Its a lot like bike fitting. Different for everyone. I am an Orthopedic tech by trade and assist in these surgeries all the time. I have seen people walking within the week and others taking a month. As they say, you are your best physical therapist. If he is a good DR. and knows your athletic situation, you should get aggressive PT which should get you out the door quicker unless other complications arise. Hell, I saw a Marine get an ACL repair which is about 10x as worse, and he was running again at distances of 3-5 miles at a normal pace within a month. That is pretty much unheard of unless you are a pro athlete who can spend 8 hours a day in physical therapy since your only job is to play sports. Its gonna hurt a little. Just got to push through and you should be back fairly quick.

Jason

"These aren't Love Handles, I just have Big Kidneys!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have a look at this thread:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ing=meniscus;#336250

Deke
Quote Reply