Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

sighting assistance please
Quote | Reply
One of the things I really need to work on is swimming straight. I don't sight nearly enough, and I think the main reason I don't is because I find it so straining. I'm looking for some tips on sighting easily, effectively and quickly without letting my legs drop in the water.

Thanks in advance.

Jonathan Blyer,
ACME Bicycle Co., Brooklyn, NY
Quote Reply
Re: sighting assistance please [jonblyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm no expert, but I used to breath, then sight until I attended a swim clinic given by N. DeBoom. She said we should lift the head slightly (eyes just above the water), sight quickly, then turn to breathe. Made a world of difference.
Quote Reply
Re: sighting assistance please [AmyCO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ditto on the "I'm no expert" thing, but the sight-then-breathe approach is the most logical, and when you think about it, intuitive way to do this. Depending on the course and what you're using as a sight target, you may only need to lift your head slightly out of the water to do it effectively. Of course, choppier water will necessitate a more exaggerated head lift but for the most part it seems as though the more you make sighting part of your normal stroke pattern (if that makes sense), the better.
Quote Reply