Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Minimum tools for race?
Quote | Reply
I’m looking at what tools make sense to carry during a race in addition to the spare tire and CO2.

I see a need for a 4mm and 5mm allen key for emergency tightening of the front end / brakes / derailers. Are there any other sizes that are worth carrying (The larger sizes are needed for tightening cranks but I’ve never had a crank come loose and I don’t see any bolts 3 mm or less)?

A small Philips head could be useful for some of the limit screws too.

Quote Reply
Re: Minimum tools for race? [Brent F] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No tools needed- things like brakes and limit screws are not likely to losen if the bike is prepped right- spare tube/ tire, CO2 and tire lever is all that is needed. Maybe a patch kit if you Rasmussen the race

Weeman
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bring a few tools to the race site if something pops up unexpectedly.

but during the ride, a spare/tube tire, tire levers, and pump should do fine.

Where would you want to swim ?
Quote Reply
Re: Minimum tools for race? [Greg X] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I often bring a full tool set to the race site.

I was on a training ride recently and had a bolt loosen on the seat clamp. My multitool wasn't long enough to reach the bolt so I now carry a set of "L" Allen keys on training rides instead of a multitool. I'm glad I found this out on a training ride and not during a race.

I realized that most of the allen keys would probably never be used so was looking at only carrying what was really needed.
Quote Reply
Re: Minimum tools for race? [LarryCalifornia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That Crank Bros tool looks nice but would probably be too short for my saddle clamp.

I see it has a 3mm and 6mm. What are these used for on a road bike?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know your thread is about what to carry during the race on your bike. However, I'm gonna hijack here for just minute.

The other day my precious little dumpling Sarah the Bikesport Girl was on her way to a race with her buddy Mike. He opened the back of his truck and the dude had, like, a ton of stuff. He is a meticulous and well prepared athlete.

My approach is a trifle different. I believe less is more, and it pays to be elegant and simple. Preparation goes a long way toward that.

When I was at the Discovery Adventures Training Camp earlier this year with 9 time Tour de France finisher Frankie Andreu and Vincent Gee of the Discovery Channel Cycling Team I learned a lot from these guys about the importance of travelling light.

Vincent is a mechanic for Discovery Channel Cycling Team and he showed us his tool box:

Now, bear in mind: This is the tool box for a nine man professional cycling team, so it contains a lot of extra stuff. Look how small it is. He goes with the absolute minimum he needs. I though that was awesome.

Take what you need but leave the rest home. Just a thought. Sorry for the 'jack.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply