Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Levi vs Vino
Quote | Reply
I was just looking at the GC rankings and noticed that Levi is 2 seconds ahead of Vinokourov. I'm not sure why excatly I noticed this, but it struck me as pretty interesting. The two riders couldn't have a more different riding style from eachother, yet after 20 TdF stages they have practically the same time. If I were putting a team together, I would much rather have a leader like Levi (quiet but consistant) than Vino (powerful but spontaneous). Of course, I admire both riders greatly and this observation is in no way meant to disrespect to Vino.
Quote Reply
Re: Levi vs Vino [stl_triness] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you have a point, but walking out of this TdF, Vino has a stage win to show for it and a place on the final TT podium. Relatively speaking Levi has done nothing for sponsors. Vino's face is in front of the TV for hours during the TdF.
Quote Reply
Re: Levi vs Vino [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not to mention Leige-Bastogne-Leige, and that's a great point about face time for his sponsors.

Now, two seconds could be taken out of Levi during the intermediate sprints tomorrow - that could be interesting. Obviously, Vino is a wildcard and isn't going to stop racing just because it's the last stage, but I wonder if he'd get a leadout by any of his teammates at this point? I guess he could attack kilo away and not have to worry. Wouldn't put it past him. Come to think of it, I wonder if any of the sprints carry time bonuses tomorrow?

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: Levi vs Vino [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are right, and that follows my thoughts as well. Vino gets MUCH more attention, and not all of it good, for being bold and always attacking - even if it doesn't make sense for an attack. I wonder at what point that killer instict becomes a liability for a leader to possess?

And as good as Levi is to finish 5th in the GC, I am not sure he is has that final surge of power that is needed to pull off a breakaway at the summit of a big mountain stage like Lance, Jan, Basso, Vino, etc...
Quote Reply
Re: Levi vs Vino [JM3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]Not to mention Leige-Bastogne-Leige, and that's a great point about face time for his sponsors.

Now, two seconds could be taken out of Levi during the intermediate sprints tomorrow - that could be interesting. Obviously, Vino is a wildcard and isn't going to stop racing just because it's the last stage, but I wonder if he'd get a leadout by any of his teammates at this point? I guess he could attack kilo away and not have to worry. Wouldn't put it past him. Come to think of it, I wonder if any of the sprints carry time bonuses tomorrow?[/reply]

If Levi lets Vino take two seconds out of him in intermediate sprints tomorrow he deserves to lose his 5th place. I am surprised he didn't do better today which would have made this wondering moot.

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Re: Levi vs Vino [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very true - a poor showing today.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply