Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Running in the heat...
Quote | Reply
Man, I am just not cut out for running in the heat and humidity. Wanted to go at least 10 miles today in prep for IMWis, but could only manage about 4 miles in the 89 degree, 75% humidity and blazing sun before I had to start walking. Kept walking/running back to the gym...got in 7.8 miles in 1:31...UGH....11:42 average pace. Made even more interesting by the hordes of mosquitos that descended on me whenever I stopped to walk...although I guess they were a good training aid as they made me run more than I would probably would have otherwise.

Spot

Quote | Reply
Mosquitoes? Humidity?

Dang, I'll take 95 degrees at 5:00 AM and 6% humidity any day over that!

It's a dry heat!

It's a dry heat!
Quote Reply
Re: Running in the heat... [mohole15] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spot: where do you live?

I went for a 50 mile bike ride in NC at 7am this morning. It actually wasn't that bad.
Quote Reply
Re: Running in the heat... [jern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm down in Panama City, Fl, for the summer....down here for 120 days for the USAF.

Spot

Quote | Reply
Think acclimatization!

Re: Running in the heat... [El Kabong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been trying. And I do think its working a bit....when its not quite so hot and humid it really doesn't feel that bad, as opposed to when I first got here in May. But 103 heat index is enough to do me in. I've heard that skinny folks do better in the heat than us big-boned (read: chubby) fellas...maybe if I dropped a few pounds it would help as well.

Spot

Quote | Reply
don't feel bad. it's enough to do anyone in.

don't worry about your training either. you're getting the benefits from what you're able to do. honestly, if it bums you that much, consider taking inside. i know it's not as fun as outside...but then again, your outside doesn't sound that fun to begin with.

you might find this funny--today i was thinking about how i'll be able to drag my trainer outside on the porch when it's 20 degrees and ride in the cold (I know, some say if you're going to do that then just go on the road--but the wind gets me too much at that temp, the porch is all I can take). so, just think about how nice and cool that will be. you can join me on the porch for a winter trainer ride. and then we'll drink apple cider (yes with booze) thereafter. now, that's a refreshing thought!!

kitty
Quote Reply