Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Top 10 Must Do California Triathlons [Jason D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jason, I hope the californiaman can get the bike distance measured right this year.

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Top 10 Must Do California Triathlons [jsmith] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with cvillatri, a larger field may mean more competition but it certainly does not guarantee a better race. Just look at the post-race reports from San Jose a few weeks ago, everyone was complaining about all the pack riding but what else can take place when your race grows like SJIT has. I did it in '94 the first year it was a J&A production and there were maybe 400 or 500 people and now the field is over 2000.

That being said, y'all gotta get to Santa Barbara for the Santa Barbara County Triathlon. Absolutely one of the most scenic courses in the entire state and the best part is that the race director LIMITS the field to 600 for the long course so you have room to breathe and it all but guarantees no pelotons on the bike.

Miguel in the 'No...El Tribato

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Michael in Fresno
"Do you spend time with your family? Good. Because a man that doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man" V. Corleone
Quote Reply
Re: Top 10 Must Do California Triathlons [LarryCalifornia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sentinel is a great race, one that i will plan on doing many more times in the future. i can't say the same about WF, done it 3 times and probably won't ever do it again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wldflower, once is enough for anybody. Alcatraz if your independantly wealthy, Treasure Island is a small circus and an absolutly worthless test of your abilities unless you like making a hundred ninty degree turns on the bike in a crowd. Think peleton in a group of first time racers.

San Jose was once a great race but has grown out of porportions, but the food is still great. They need to reduce the field to around 1000 from 1500.

Donner was once on top in the early ninties but has declined for years but makes a nice road trip.

Vineman half has tough competition (IM qualifier) and a tough course with the potential for the run to be held in the ninty to 100 degree range. I've seen too many people on IV's there although the last few years have been ok.

Pacific Grove is great but the bike can be dangerous as I've seen two head on accidents with serious consequenses to the unfortunate participants.

Santa Cruz is fun and really well organized, held for a good cause but has still has a history of bike packs of thirty riders and up.

Folsom is a decent race, well organized and I've never had any problem running on the bike path? The course seems to change yearly though.

Why would anybody go to LA for a triathlon unless you lived there and had no other choice?

Ukiah, Uvas and Monterey are still fun races with small fields, good courses and decent food.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have any inkling toward mt biking I would put the Xterra West Championship on that list, actually near the top of my list. Team Unlimited puts on first class events!

I am also a fan of Ralph's and LA. Yeah, LA is expensive and logistically challenging, but I thought the course was great. 2 cops at every intersection blocking traffic, at times up to 4 lanes of the road shut down for the race, and then breakfast at the Pantry afterward (not included that was just a fun side trip). It was a good time, money well spent IMHO.

Dan Hollingsworth

Nobody grows old by merely living a number of years. People grow old only by deserting their ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up interest wrinkles the soul." - Douglas MacArthur
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: Top 10 Must Do California Triathlons [LarryCalifornia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will take the wind over the heat though.

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Top 10 Must Do California Triathlons [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Forgive my ignorance, but what is "Roth"? I haven't heard of this race. If this is an inside joke, let me know.
I'm doing CaliMan half as my first HIM, so I'll report on that one in Sept.

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Re: Top 10 Must Do California Triathlons [TriBodyboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quelle Challenge Roth in Bavaria Germany...ex Ironman Europe where the fastest IM was done (7h50'27)
Quote Reply
Re: Top 10 Must Do California Triathlons [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anybody do the Catalina Sprint? Not on the list of great races, but a really cool location, and the whole bike is uphill. Gota deal with the ferry over though.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply

Prev Next