Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

First wetsuit swim. Wow!
Quote | Reply
OK, my suit arrived from DeSoto last week and today was the coolest day so far (mid 80's and raining) so I took it down to the pool.

The suit is what you might term 'snug' and I was beginning to think that it was too small, until I got into the water. Once I started swimming though, I couldn't believe how easy it felt. Level in the water, smooth, fast and almost elegant. There's a bit of a pull under one armpit now and then, but it's amazing just how easy it feels to swim. This must be what all those fishy people feel like every time.

I did 2000m, took the suit off as I was overheating quite a bit, then swam a few more lengths. That's when the difference really became apparent: I felt slow, heavy, and ugly while swimming, the water seemed to really drag against my skin. Now I know my swim is definitely my key limiter, my worst event, but this suit is as near to cheating as I'm ever likely to get.

No wonder people like them so much.

Justin.
Quote Reply
Re: First wetsuit swim. Wow! [Freeflyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No doubt! I love the improvement that wearing a wetsuit makes in my swimming too.

Welcome to the wetsuit club, shirt and shoes not required! :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did the same open water lake swim twice without a wetsuit last month. 22:00 and 21:49 for the same loop. I did the same swim again a few days, doing the loop twice. This time wore my T1 wetsuit (the only one I've tried). 19:30 the first loop, 20:00 for the second. I'd say roughly the same exertion level each time. I can see why some strong swimmers don't like them in races!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just finished my first open water swim of the year in my T1 and I feel like I got my butt kicked out there! I swim pool workouts ranging from 3K to 5k three times a week w/o too much fatigue but my shoulders were screaming today. I remember from last year that the adjustment of the top was key. I need to find the sweet spot again!
Quote Reply
Re: First wetsuit swim. Wow! [mike419] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I just finished my first open water swim of the year in my T1 and I feel like I got my butt kicked out there! I swim pool workouts ranging from 3K to 5k three times a week w/o too much fatigue but my shoulders were screaming today. I remember from last year that the adjustment of the top was key. I need to find the sweet spot again!
Same here. For Vineman, I'm only wearing the bibjohn and putting a tight rashguard shirt on.

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another good reason for wetsuits. Did my ocean swim today, amidst the jellyfish. Not stung once!

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply