Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What to do the week following 1/2 IM?
Quote | Reply
i'm pretty sore from an all-out effort on sunday. i just feel like sleeping in too. there's no way i could run anyway with this soreness. how much fitness am i losing from 3 straight days off (and counting)? and when should i get back on the horse?
Quote Reply
Re: What to do the week following 1/2 IM? [Herschel34] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You'll be fine if you take even a week off. Eat, sleep in, do some other activities, like a hike or play tennis. Chill out. Enjoy the time off.

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some low level aerobic run-bike-swim effort can aide the recovery -- enough to get the HR up a bit and warm the muscles to keep them lengthened. Go easy with as many rest breaks as you need. AFter a few days you will begin to feel the zipp coming back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are losing ZERO fitness over 3 days off. (I'm on day 9 and counting due to a badly sprained ankle, now THAT sucks)

I was pretty wiped after my first Half this year. Very sore 2-3 days. Took a coupla days off, then just spun very easy on the trainer for the first few days back at it. I was up to an easy short slow run by later that week, but YMMV.

It took me until midway thru the next week before I felt like I was kinda back to normal.

So - start with an easy spin (or swim - I hate swimming, but it is easy on yer body) for the first few days. Just get the legs moving very easy (z1 or below) for 20-30 mins, then build from there.

It's a recovery week. Enjoy sleeping in.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: What to do the week following 1/2 IM? [Chappy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
34, Recover! lots of fruit, B-12, lean protein. You will be faster after an all out effort if you recover properly. I too went very deep into the well @ GCT in May, took off 10 days of running , just ez bike and swim the first week. Now my running is faster than I was in May. Last year after 1/2GFT in Oct, similar run effort, I got back running too soon and had IT band / knee? problem flare up and nag me all winter. You don't want any setbacks in July, it's all about getting faster now, so rest a little.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just finished the Musselman 1/2 on Sunday so I'm right there with ya. Here is what I am doing this week:

1) got a massage on Monday

2) did a driving range / easy swim brick workout after work yesterday

3) had a beer and a vanilla milkshake last night

4) easy ~30 min run tonight

5) a few more short, easy swim, bike and run workouts later this week

6) more beer, dessert and other stuff I generally avoid

Enjoy the week!
Quote Reply
Re: What to do the week following 1/2 IM? [Harkin Banks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah--I'm on your plan too.

I usually stop drinking beer 3 weeks before a key race,and no sweets at all.
So the beer (Aspen) is shear nirvana ,and the Apple Pie w/ Haagen Dazs Vanilla Bean ice cream is killer.

But, it was back to business this morning.
Just got back from the pool.
Did a fairly relaxed 3000yds...felt good low HR swim.A little Jacuzzi and Sauna.

Maybe one last beer tonight,or 2, what the heck make it 4..and thats it until August.

The key workout for tonight is some PlayStation with my awesome daughter who always kicks my ass in Gran Tourismo.Tonight she's going down~

Seeing him in deep torment, I said. " You can have my last GU , but its been down my pants for most of the run". - John Hirsch

Take care of your body, its by far the coolest thing you're going to ever own.- Can't remember who told me this, but I love it.
Quote Reply