Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Appropriate "Thank You" For Homestay
Quote | Reply
I've got my first homestay for a race this weekend. What is appropriate protocol? Should I bring a small "thank you" like a box of chocolates or something? Or should I try and give something before I leave like some flowers? They are taking me to/from the airport and letting me stay three nights.

Should I offer money for food if they feed me some meals? Should I buy my own food?

Is a simple "thank you" more appropriate? Maybe one of those "thank you" cards?

I believe I am their first athlete, so I'm not sure they know what to expect either.

Thanks in advance. I'm really appreciative of their hospitality, and I want to know how to convey that...

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Appropriate "Thank You" For Homestay [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As a host to 20 athletes over the years, I expect dinner made, house cleaning, dog walking and other pampering things done for me. Those who do more than others can come back next year.

In reality, offer to take them to dinner one night or cook dinner for them if you know how or pay for any groceries that need to be bought and I think things will be fine.

Most people homestay to give back in their own way or help an athlete out. Be nice, don't ask them to go to far out of their way for you, say please and thank you. Send them a thank you card in the mail after you get home. If you need VIP passes to get backstage at the race try to secure them some.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What DD said. Offer to take them to dinner or pay for groceries.

If you require any special food--bring your own, or let them know in advance if they ask (which they should).

If you are allergic to dogs/cats/fish/children--let them know (hopefully prior to now and they should have stated that up front).

If they are driving you to the venue and you can score a parking pass--SWEET! Ditto, the pass to any VIP area.

A few "don'ts" (all have happened in the past that I have either experienced or heard about--these people get put at the bottom of any homestay list here):

Be neat and tidy. That means don't throw your candy wrappers around the house. (Yes, true. My house and it was an AGer.)

Don't hog the shower/TV/computer/phone. (Same person as above. He's personna non gratis at casa morgan until the end of time.)

Don't show up with a few friends and expect accomodation for them.

Don't leave town with the spare set of keys.

Don't expect a taxi and maid service (unless previously arranged).

What I find is that many folks end up coming back to the same race and homestay year after year and end up becoming friends.

Have fun!

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Appropriate "Thank You" For Homestay [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had one that never got off the couch. She just laid there all day for like four days leading up to the race. Her bf came too and he waited on her hand and foot. It was super annoying. On the other hand I also had two amazing dudes from Finland who WERE so polite! Even caught one of them vaccuming one day! :D I think bringing something from where you are from is nice too!!
Quote Reply
Re: Appropriate "Thank You" For Homestay [Kestrelkerri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was she hot?
Quote Reply
Re: Appropriate "Thank You" For Homestay [Big Duke Six] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
no, annoying! ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Appropriate "Thank You" For Homestay [Kestrelkerri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
then you should have kicked the bitch to the curb. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dude! great timing.

you're not talking about edmonton ITU, are you? anyway, i'm hosting an elite this weekend and was wondering the same thing, from the opposite side. what would you, as an athlete, expect from a homestay?

-mike

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Appropriate "Thank You" For Homestay [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No. Not Edmonton ITU. But you might be hosting any one of a few friends of mine who is going to that race.

I don't really know what to expect.

I'm getting a bed, but I would have been okay with a couch or even floor space (I like hard mattresses, so a floor is ok).

I guess I expect a shower with hot water and an indoor toilet, but again, not required.

I'm getting a ride from the airport, which is a HUGE nicety. Probably more than anything else, as bike boxes can be a pain to fit in a cab.

Bike check in is the night before, so I'm hoping for a ride race morning, but due to the early hour, I understand if this is a no-go.

In an ideal world it would be:
- own bed
- access to any bathroom with shower
- a ride to/from airport
- a ride to/from athlete meeting (if you live far and if bike check in is required night before)
- a ride to/from race (again, only if you live far and if bike check in is required night before)
- bananas & orange juice (or the location of or ride to the grocery store).

I'd be more than 200% content with those things. They are in descending order of importance.

I'm more than happy to do dishes, help buy groceries, help walk a dog if you got one (I love dogs), set the table, clear the table, help make dinner, make the bed/pull the sheets, do anything I can to help you regarding the race (parking, etc.).

Thanks for the help from the experienced hosts...

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They are picking you up/dropping you off at airport and you're staying for 3 nights? I assume you are getting a bed and bathroom use. Seems like they are really hooking you up. Since you are saving a boatload on hotels, I'd say give them a $100 gift certificate to a very nice restaurant in their area.
Quote Reply
Re: Appropriate "Thank You" For Homestay [haennp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That would be a good idea. But I don't know any good restaurants in the area. And I don't know what they like to eat. Like, what if I got something to a steak house, and they didn't like steak? If I can find that out, that'd be an excellent suggestion. I hope I can take them out, then I would know. Maybe if we go out, I can get a gift-certificate to the restaurant that we go to...

All good tips. Thanks.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A small gift is nice if there's something not too expensive that your country or region is noted for.

When I was growing up, my family short term hosted a steady stream of Japanese teachers, German students, and Dutch baseball players over the years. As a kid, I loved getting something from where the guests came from, even if it was just a book of postcards.
Quote Reply
Re: Appropriate "Thank You" For Homestay [FLA Jill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm from NY. But I am coming via British Columbia. I know smoked salmon is pretty popular and is sold a lot here. Is that a nice gift? BC's number one export is marijuana; that's probably not the best thing to try to bring on a plane over the border though. Could be a good gift for the right people, though... ;)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We hosted a pro in Chicago last year and we had a great time. We did the thing that should be expected from a host: own bed / bath / toilet. pick up and drop off at airport and organized a pasta dinner for her and our friends the night before the race. She brought us some gifts from her home town. For us, most important is that we still stay in touch and receive race updates.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd bring them a bottle of wine upon arrival.

I'd bring them race t-shirts after the race.

I'd write them a thank you note when I got home.

"In order to arrive at what you are not, you must move throught the way in which you are not."
T.S. Elliot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Be nice and you'll be OK... if you're not nice, you know that I will hear about it, and then you'll be in trouble :-)

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply