Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anybody else hate base training?
Quote | Reply

I got a late start on my season. Also, I'm in FLA and my A race isn't till later in the fall. I just ended the final phase of my base training and thank jeebis it's over. Went for a nice, hard, fast ride today with heart rate up in my throat. Man, it was beautiful!

I'll take speed fatigue over long haul fatigue any day.

SM
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody else hate base training? [skid marks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

I got a late start on my season. Also, I'm in FLA and my A race isn't till later in the fall. I just ended the final phase of my base training and thank jeebis it's over. Went for a nice, hard, fast ride today with heart rate up in my throat. Man, it was beautiful!

I'll take speed fatigue over long haul fatigue any day.

SM
Count me in on that. Go hard, go often. Probably 90% (excluding warm-up and cool-down) of my training is at race effort or better. Then again, I don't do more than 8-10 hours/week.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Count me in too. [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My run yesterday was 1:12 for 6.4 miles. I am an extreme beginner but can at least manage sub 9 minute miles for that distance when not watching my HR.

First post on this board. I was thinking about this topic yesterday so I had to reply.

------------------------------------------------------------

Not the victory but the action.
Not the goal but the game.
In the deed the glory.
Quote Reply
Re: Count me in too. [tri-sker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Welcome to the board tri-sker.

I'm a little different on the subject of base training. I cannot get myself to slow down on the bike, I'm always killing it. But run base training I love, knowing that I have a couple of hours of aerobic bliss scheduled will make my day. I use that time to unwind and let my mind wander (while checking the HR moniter every couple of minutes) I love it. I gotta learn to base train on the bike.

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All my running seems like base training! But I try and compensate when riding the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really enjoy my base training as it's very good therapy for the week, mostly those 6 hour bike rides.

If I skip it...I become cranky.

Sometimes a CX ride, sometimes road only. Perhaps 6 or so routes mapped out. It's fun, enjoyable...and a different way to see the area.

I'm 35 and my athletic hayday was playing college hockey and being drafted. Triathlon is simply a distraction and amusement. If I win my age group (like this weekend), then fine. But...take more of the "Faris Al Sultan" approach to better myself rather than compete against other people.
Quote Reply
Re: Count me in too. [Jim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

I cannot get myself to slow down on the bike, I'm always killing it. I gotta learn to base train on the bike.
I'm the same way, the only way for me to base train or recover on a bike is by riding my spinner...

----
Don't hold back
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would encourage you to look at www.triathloncoach.com for a slightly different approach to tri training. Notably, the article on the "Pyramid turned upside down" approach, found at http://www.triathloncoach.com/articles/backwards.html

I have been following a M2 program for a short while, but I am very happy with the results (both strength/conditioning as well as the limited time away from my family).

Just my 2 cents, but the "base training" that you hate may not be necessary.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Base training is pointless.
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody else hate base training? [Ashburn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Amen! Amen! Amen!

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody else hate base training? [Simple Stevie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting article. I too have been wondering about going back to the weight room as I do more IM specific training, trying to get the biggest bang for my very limited time-buck.

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.biketechreview.com/performance/base.htm

Depends upon what you define as base.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My opinion on base training..............

Go Hard or Go Home

Paul
Quote Reply
Re: Count me in too. [jtaylor1024] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
"I'm the same way, the only way for me to base train or recover on a bike is by riding my spinner..."

Ditto...I have to use my trainer for sustained low level effort. If I want to stay be in zone 3 then the only way I can do it is on a trainer. I get on the road try to act like a good boy, and then wham, someone appears ahead or passes me and it's like a rabbit on a dog track. I find myself not enjoying the ride because I am trying to attenuate my normal pace, my effort level and I spend my time watching the heart rate monitor. I have tried ignoring the monitor, actually wearing it instead of having it mounted and ride by perceived effort. Upon review of the file I find I have failed miserably.

I can ride for 2 or three hours at a 80-90% rate but not even 30 minutes at 70-80% without “dogging” it. Oh well, and they call me disciplined, little do they know…

I'm going to try a new tactic this year I'm going to start my base in the early winter on a trainer and stick to it this time. The problem is we get a pretty day and I want to ride, not train...RIDE!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody else hate base training? [Mr. Tibbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Amen! Amen! Amen!
Yeah Tubbs, like we believe you do any training...
Quote Reply