Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: OT: flap over flip flops ? [SWoo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leave it to one moron to ruin a good thread.

Proud Founder of the Jamis Mafia- Daring to be different.
Quote Reply
Re: OT: flap over flip flops ? [House] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yada, yada, yada, the other fool injected politics. Now we get Mr. Tibbs forum material.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Yada, yada, yada, the other fool injected politics. Now we get Mr. Tibbs forum material.
Meh... Wag's joke was kind of funny. People on this forum dont really want to read a 1000 word political diatribe (even if it is true)

I've got some leather AF flip flops that cost over $60 but that does not mean I would wear them to a white house invite.

Quote | Reply

Quote | Reply
SWoo hit it bang on .... there are so many flip-flops in the building that when I see a headline about flip-flops at the Whitehouse I assume it is a policy matter and not a footwear issue :)
Quote Reply
Re: OT: flap over flip flops ? [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
THESE ARE THE BEST!! I got TWO pairs!! :D
Quote Reply
Re: OT: flap over flip flops ? [Kestrelkerri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
and in Hawaii, they're referred to as SLIPPERS! :)

THANK YOU!!...."flip flops" was driving me nuts. Actually the correct pronunciation is "slippas" if you don't want to sound too touristy.

BTW - I do find it mortifying and disrespecful that they would dress like that to a White House function. Perhaps they expected to be in the Rose Garden and dressed down a bit, however if I was the head coach I would have required a bit more respect for the person and place they were visiting.

Last edited by: Football Mom: Jul 20, 05 0:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 "Now we get Mr. Tibbs forum material. "

Not my forum. It just has the same name as me.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
naaah. not ruined. lengthened condsiderably however. and it is allowable to go OT on an OT. just a matter of choice. does that constitute a flip flop then too?

wait a minute...now i'm getting caught up in it...we were on footwear right?

Train hard...race well.
www.jimmishler.com
"Jim, I happen to agree with you" DougStern
Quote Reply
Re: OT: flap over flip flops ? [Jim Mishler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
as a college coach, I don't let my kids wear flip flops on the bus travelling to a meet, much less for anything formal...the whole, you're representing the university thing...
Quote Reply
Re: OT: flap over flip flops ? [Kestrelkerri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]Well thankfully I don't go to the opera and I don't see myself at the white house anytime soon! :D[/reply]

Hey, the opera can be pretty fun!

But negative on the flip-flops. A nice pair of slides would have been much more appropriate.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: OT: flap over flip flops ? [Sbrandt Swim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]as a college coach, I don't let my kids wear flip flops on the bus travelling to a meet, much less for anything formal...the whole, you're representing the university thing...[/reply]

Bingo! A fellow coach with the same feelings as me. I really want to know what their coaches have to say about it, but have yet to see any comments.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]Yada, yada, yada, the other fool injected politics. Now we get Mr. Tibbs forum material.[/reply]

Ahh, yes, the old, "he started it so now I can inject one of my many political tirades, I'm really just an angery man no matter who wins" excuse. Very nice.

*YAWN*

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
actually, now that I'd think about it, I'd probably wear flip flops too, just to protest the fact that the phrase became a key aspect of such a crucial election. (Partisan though I was - and I spent a lot of time volunteering during the election - my main reaction to the debates was "are these two really the best we can do?" And I'd say the same thing about the level of discourse during the election. Sound bite after sound bite.)

As for the Northwestern students, I once had the privilege of getting a back-stage tour of England's House of Lords. Apparently this is a black-tie sort of thing. IIRC, I was wearing hi-tops and dockers. So I can't really criticize anyone for inappropriate footwear. Gotta love the English, though, I'm sure everyone noticed but no one said a thing.
Quote Reply
Re: OT: flap over flip flops ? [Jim Mishler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When going to the white house you dress accordingly. Flip flops aren't proper for men or women when going to meet the President.

Can't say that I'm very surprised though. Kids and young adults these days don't appear to have an inkling on proper etiquette or protocol in social situations. It grates my ears and boggles my mind to see how they dress and how pitiful they sound in formal settings where they are expected to act in a more formal manner and carry on an adult conversation that isn't filled with "you know" every other word.
Quote Reply
Re: OT: flap over flip flops ? [urbanrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]actually, now that I'd think about it, I'd probably wear flip flops too, just to protest the fact that the phrase became a key aspect of such a crucial election. (Partisan though I was - and I spent a lot of time volunteering during the election - my main reaction to the debates was "are these two really the best we can do?" And I'd say the same thing about the level of discourse during the election. Sound bite after sound bite.)

As for the Northwestern students, I once had the privilege of getting a back-stage tour of England's House of Lords. Apparently this is a black-tie sort of thing. IIRC, I was wearing hi-tops and dockers. So I can't really criticize anyone for inappropriate footwear. Gotta love the English, though, I'm sure everyone noticed but no one said a thing.[/reply]

The big points are:

1) Respect for the office of head of state. Whether it is our president or the pres. or pm of another country you show respect when visiting there house and especially when being honored (I doubt any of these girls wore them as any kind of protest)

2) They represent the University, and their coaches and teammates. look at all the bad press this has gotten. Do you think Northwestern is happy about it? When you join a team you represent that team even when you are with other people. You'd be amazed how many people will know you are on a certain team when you do something dumb.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well said. The coaches in this case should've help a pre inspection on these girls to ensure they were representing the school in the proper manner. Flip flops are for the beach and pool...not for the White House or the like. Respect and common sense appear to be lost here.
Quote Reply
Re: OT: flap over flip flops ? [Football Mom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No way, reefs are not the dress shoe of choice. :-) I bet those kids woudln't have worn them to a nightclub.

I pretty much wear flipflops 3 places, the public shower, the pool, and to the mailbox. That's about it. I do want a pair of these. Soap is good for leather right!?

"In the blocks you're a prisoner, the gun releases you."
Quote Reply
Re: OT: flap over flip flops ? [ahoodlum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
<<ctually, I am quite surprised and would expect more from the Northwestern ilk. We pride ourselve on our soon to be yuppie-ness as well as our purchased friends (read: Greek system), 40k a year country club, daddy's beamer,>>

Unless it has two wheels, it's a bimmer.

Brett

"Du or Du not-there is no Tri" - Yoda
Quote Reply

Prev Next