Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: if you think a 51 minute IM swim is fast... [FLA Jill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey nice pace for a 10km (1:46:38 ) 1:04 per 100m...That's 6 x 1500m (16min each). I still can't believe that they haven't correct the distance, it's so easy to measure this course...
Quote Reply
Re: if you think a 51 minute IM swim is fast... [MTL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hmmm, sheila taormina (sp?) is a world class swimmer--gold in the 2000 olympics if i remember correctly in the 800 free relay. not sure what fulla is thinking.
Quote Reply
Re: if you think a 51 minute IM swim is fast... [wdrhoads] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So are Potts, McLarty, and Barb.

Potts and McLarty were basically first alternates to go to the Olympics, and Barb was on US National Travel teams.
Quote Reply
Re: if you think a 51 minute IM swim is fast... [Kuendig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
how much slower are they now they just do tris?

the fastest male swimmer in triathlon would probably get beaten by the fastest female swimmer in the world over whatever distance you wanna pick. how well would potts etc do against the fastest female 1500m swimmer considering that is the distance they both train for? my bet is he'd get beaten.
Quote Reply
Re: if you think a 51 minute IM swim is fast... [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I come from a swimming background, and I grew up in San Diego. My club team in high school practiced at the JCC which is one of the best pools in San Diego county. Our coach was good friends with Michellie Jones. She used to swim with us, along with Craig Walton, Craig Alexander, and Chris McCormack, when they all still trained in San Diego. Needless to say, they used to have to swim at the back of the lane. Don't get me wrong, they are very solid swimmers, but they were never anywhere close to the best distance swimmers of the group. We had 2 sub 15:30 1500 long course swimmers, and the triathletes probably swam 8-12 seconds slower per 100/m on a good day. Based on that, I would say that Potts would not be able to beat the top women.
Quote Reply
Re: if you think a 51 minute IM swim is fast... [FLA Jill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
10K races were today.

Men's 10K

17. John Kenny USA 1:47:55
Well, that explains why he beat me by :40 in a sprint triathlon swim a couple of weeks ago. I used a wetsuit, he didn't. And it was only .25 mile (he did 4:28, I did 5:08). BTW, he took 2nd overall.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, McLarty is still in peak swimming shape. When she swam full time last year and got 4th at Olympic Trials she got 3rd at World Open Water Champs. This year, she is doing triathlon full time and got 4th at World Champs, so not a whole lot slower.

She can clearly compete on the international level swimming, and I'd be willing to bet that Potts can take it to her in the 200, 400, or 1500 free in the pool.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 i think the 1500m or 800m swimmers are the ones you should be looking at not open water swimmers...
Quote Reply
Re: if you think a 51 minute IM swim is fast... [Flanagan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You realize that Andy Potts was like 15:10 in the 1650 while in college...granted he wouldn't swim that fast now, but give him a few months of just swimming and he'd beat the women at worlds...he was a stud.
Quote Reply
Re: if you think a 51 minute IM swim is fast... [Sbrandt Swim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Women's 25K results are in:

1. Edith Van Dijk NED 5:25:06.6
2. Britta Kamaru GER 5:25.06.9
3. Laura La Piana ITA 5:25.11.06

That long of a race, and to lose by .3 of a second...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was just using McLarty as an example. She went 4:11 in the 400 free last year. That's a world class time and Im willing to bet she could get very close to that this year. And 4:11 for Potts would be easy with a couple days rest from running and biking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The fastest 800m woman in the world goes about 8:23-24 (there is no international 1500m for women). 8:23 would be a great time for Potts, but not out of the question. It would give him the US Senior national cut in that event (8:24).
Last edited by: Kuendig: Jul 22, 05 19:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The women's 1500 is a FINA-recognized event. It's just not an Olympic program event.

http://www.fina.org/wranklcm_WOMEN.html

This year's rankings as of July 1 (Hayley Piersol went a 16:13 last week)

1500 METRES FREESTYLE
Rec: 15:52.10 Janet Evans,USA,1688

1 16:11.23 SCSCJUN Ziegler Kate,88,USA
2 16:16.18 FRALCAPR Manaudou Laure,86,FRA
3 16:17.20 AUSLCMAR Paton Sarah-L,86,AUS
4 16:18.12 JRPACJAN Williams Stephanie,89,AUS
5 16:20.16 JPNLCAPR Yamada Sachiko,82,JPN
6 16:21.36 MVNJUN Shibata Ai,82,JPN
7 16:22.77 GERLCMAY Henke Jana,73,GER
8 16:23.44 DENLCMAR Friis Lotte,89,DEN
9 16:24.22 CHNLCAPR Yang Jieqiao,90,CHN
10 16:25.88 BALATFEB Risztov Eva,85,HUN