Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 1/2 VINEMAN [trifaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Done, Dave...and thanks again.
Quote Reply
Re: 1/2 VINEMAN [Mike C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>> so if anyone has any tips or just wants to bitch with me about starting *dead last*, feel free to chime in!<<

Been there, done that way too many times.

Like Dave said, no rush in getting to G'ville, though you'll have to park far away. Factor in that time.

If you are a decent cyclist, you'll be passing people for 56 miles. Have your "on your left" voice ready.

Post-race--don't expect to use any of the porta potties. They will be overflowing and unusable. (Dave--can you guys do something about that?)

Depending on when you finish, there may be slim pickings on the post-race food after 2,000 people have already eaten.

But hey, look on the bright side, you won't likely freeze during the first part of the bike! And, the port-pottie lines at the start will be shorter. And mostly, you'll be very thankful the next time you get an early wave.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: 1/2 VINEMAN [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And, the port-pottie lines at the start will be shorter.

Hmmm, hadn't thought about that one...I might like that, especially with my overactive system on race mornings.

If you are a decent cyclist, you'll be passing people for 56 miles. Have your "on your left" voice ready.

I guess the good thing here is that for the most part the cyclists will be a bit more skilled than at SJIT...but this will still be an interesting ride since I'll likely come out of the water mid-pack in my wave and as you say, faced with the prospect of nearly 2000 riders already on course. Will take some work to stay focused and within myself as opposed to wanting to blast by as many people as I can in as short a time as possible.

And mostly, you'll be very thankful the next time you get an early wave.

Yeah, I can feel that one already!
Quote Reply
Re: 1/2 VINEMAN [Mike C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was told the over 50 folks are never last. Will see when I get there.

I guess if the water temp is only 77 with all the hot days we have had, my guess is it will cool down enough that the

water will not get any hotter. I sure like wearing my wetsuit for the safety of it. I know at wildflower, the waves are long so having to think about ones eatting before a later start is something I still do not have down yet. Oh well, just pray the heat lets up. I talked to one person who did the full vineman a few years ago with there was a big heat spell, and he commented they ran out of water. I sure hope they have that issue fixed!!

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: 1/2 VINEMAN [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Males 50+ go at 7:18am this year ... they have gone in the latter waves before and will at some point again. Different rotation every year.

Bad Rumor about running out of water - Russ has always been on top of the water issue. The bike aid stations have plentiful amounts of bottled water and 6 of the 7 run aid staions all have a water source directly to the location. Last minute Costco runs for water at the finish line later in the day maybe, but he's never have run out of water. Sorry but it felt necessary to defend that ;)

The heat has already let up and air temps haven't been out of the 70's for two days ... this means the river is cooling down too! ;)

See you next weekend!
Last edited by: trifaster: Jul 19, 05 21:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the info. This will be my first tri since 1998 and that was a sprint. I suspect most of the questions I have will be answered at the pre-race meetings on Saturday.

This race sure has a good reputation, everyone I've asked recommended it for the race to get my toes wet again.

My only worry is the temptation to visit wineries and drink a little too much.

See you guys there. I'll be in the 34 year old wave, also pretty late in the morning - 7:54 I think.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is not a rumor. I talked to the person who is a good friend who did the race. I am not saying the race is not well run.

I have made mistakes with races I have been the co RD on also. I just learned for the next year, and water was one of the issues.

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply

Prev Next