Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

HED Bearings
Quote | Reply
I have some HED 3's and a HED disc and want to swap out the bearings for some high grade ABEC ceramic bearings, anyone know of parts or the sizes of the bearings inthe axels so I dont have to pull them out?
Quote Reply
Re: HED Bearings [english muffin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you wipe off the dust and grease you can read the numbers on the rubber seal. It's in raised letters. I think it's either RS 6001 or RS 6002. Who's your source for the ceramic bearings?
Quote Reply
Re: HED Bearings [SWoo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hopefully a company called mcmaster carr or fastenall, they are a re seller for many product, but once I find the sizes I can start from there. I just pulled the letters RSR and 6001 off the bearing sidewall so here goes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just found this , the RSR just means that they are protected from the outside with a rubber seal. \i am looking to get an ABEC 5 ceramic bearing or close to this, anyone got any ideas before I pop the bearing out and measure it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
6001 or 6002 is the industry standard number specifying an inside and outside diameter. If you talk to a bearing supplier, they should be able to take it from there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have always used:
Quality Bearing Inc
Address: 1127 W Kirkwall Rd, Azusa, CA 91702
Phone: (626) 969-1773

They will have high quality 6001 bearings in stock for about $8. If you really must have ceramic bearings I think you are looking at $50 each.

Ron

----------

Quote Reply
Re: HED Bearings [swmrdrn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Holy cow. That's part of why those crazy Zipp and Falcon wheels cost so much.
Last edited by: SWoo: Jul 18, 05 20:51
Quote Reply
Re: HED Bearings [swmrdrn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the manufacturer, I will have a look at their stuff and see if they can help. I know the bearings will be expensive but they will last and will not rust and will run cool. they will cost a lot but I think it will be worth it. I have been working my HED wheels against my ladys Zips and my mavics and the zips seem to be the best of the three. after ralphs this year I am due new bearings. I think the ceramics are the way foreward
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just remember that not all ceramic bearings are "better" than the standard bearings. A standard 6001 bearings is good to 50,000 rpm. Most ceramic bearings are made to turn higher rpms and are not necessarily smoother. Zipp specs a specially ground ceramic bearing that does run smoother and they use a special lub. The guys at Quality can tell you all about bearings.

----------

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also try John Lieber at DALC. Great guy. Very helpful.

DALC Gear & Bearing Supply Corp.
3881 Danbury Rd.
Brewster, NY 10509
845-278-7300

http://home.att.net/~dalcgear/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html

He helped me when I swapped out a bad bearing in a pair of Cane Creek Volos I had. Replaced them with good mid-level $10/ea bearings.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply