Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Carbon Cranks vs. Aluminum Cranks
Quote | Reply
Alright. I'm considering carbon cranks for the first time. I'm a long time user of DA aluminim cranks and have been happy with them. Do the carbon cranks really make that much difference? How about the FSA carbon model? Basically, are the carbon cranks worth the extra money as far as performance goes. Is it true the pedals strip out and they scratch very easily? Current 40K time is one hour. Thanks all...
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon Cranks vs. Aluminum Cranks [gottabekidding] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Everything I have read indicates the cranks are essentially the same in terms of stiffness, weight (within about 20 grams, depending on whom you believe), and durability. Carbon cranks cost a little more. They look a lot cooler. I don't think you can go wrong with either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unless you're buying / building a new bike, or there's something wrong (read not working) with your Dur-ace cranks, I'd do something else with the $$...Now, please don't read this as I don't like carbon cranks....My 6 month old Felt S22 came standard with FSA Carbon Pro cranks and I have been very happy with them...However, if the bike had come with a Dura-ace or Ultegra crankset, the carbon cranks wouldn't have been on the radar. My $0.02
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon Cranks vs. Aluminum Cranks [TriPA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you noticed any creaking, flexing or anything different (mechanically) from aluminum cranks?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, absolutely nothing different...Except maybe the Q factor is a little different from my old Ultegra 9...Remember, the crank arm is NOT ALL carbon...It is a thin aluminum frame with carbon laid up on the outer skin...If they're stiffer, I can't tell it...No creaking though and don't scratch any easier or harder than all aluminum...I have to admit that they do look cool :)
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon Cranks vs. Aluminum Cranks [TriPA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carbon looks cool, but performance is not significantly different from aluminum and in some cases worse on a deflection/gram basis.

However I do have the FSA superlight cranks (they have supposedly done away with the aluminum skeleton though I haven't cut them into pieces to verify). They are about 45g lighter than the pro team version and DA, but in actual use the main thing I like with the FSA versus aluminum cranks is there is much more ankle clearance.
Quote Reply