Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Spring or Fall for 1/2 Ironman
Quote | Reply
Next season, 2004, I plan on doing a 1/2 Ironman. I am trying to decide between the Blackwater Eagleman in the Spring, or the Diamondman 1/2 in the Fall. Based on the fact that the rest of my season will consist of maybe one or two oly races and the rest sprint, would I be better training for the 1/2 during the first part of the season, then finishing out the season (after Mid-June) with the sprints? Would it be difficult to train for the 1/2 in the Fall (Mid-Sept), yet remain competitive during the first part of the season with the shorter races. I've laid out my periodized training plan, and if I do the Spring race, it works out perfectly leading up to peaking and tapering for the race?? HELP??
Quote Reply
Re: Spring or Fall for 1/2 Ironman [TriPA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Keep in mind that I don't really know what I'm talking about. . .

I would do the spring event--It sounds like it's the one you WANT to do. I also think you will be able to build on the deeper base work done for the 1/2 and be competetive in the short course stuff. (not that I have to worry about being competetive
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i've found it easier to train for a big spring/early summer race, take some down time, then move into the sprint season. if you train for hard for the sprints / OD races and schedule a later 1/2, you might run into some motivational problems along the way from the sprint/OD training early on.

plenty of people have no problem racing a few sprints / OD then doing a 1/2 or full at season's end though. so it really comes down to what works best for you.

Marty Gaal, CSCS
One Step Beyond Coaching
Triangle Open Water Swim Series | Old School Aquathon Series
Powerstroke® Freestyle Technique DVD
Quote Reply
Re: Spring or Fall for 1/2 Ironman [martyg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am actually almost in the same boat as you are. I'm planing on stepping up and doin 1/2 IM next season, and I didn't really know which 1/2('s) I wanted to do, one in the spring or fall. So I just decided to do them both. I'm going to plan my season around Wildflower and Vineman, and fill the middle with an Oly and some sprints.

I find that its easier for me to get/stay motivated early on during a season. Once school starts in the fall, its hard to keep my mind on racing (my problem currently). Plus that long race early in the season provides great motivation to build up a really good base to race short course off of. In the bay area its really easy to train in the off-season (we don't really have winter here in CA).

So my advice, do them both.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriPA,

I'm guessing you are from Pennsylvania...me too. I did Eagleman last year and then olympic and sprints the rest of the season. I liked that way because like the other poster said, I had a good base for the rest of the season. It worked well for me.

Also, another important factor in the two races you are considering is the race promoter. Eagleman is a first-class event, IMO. You'll want to do some research on Pirahna-sports, the promoter of Diamondman, before committing your entire season to their event. Go do a search on tri-newbies for them and make the decision for yourself.

Good luck!

Andy

'You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Thinsg Are As They Are.'
Quote Reply
Re: Spring or Fall for 1/2 Ironman [Andy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the responses...I think I'll go with the Blackwater Eagleman in Spring...Good advice on having a great base going into the rest of the year...Plus, it's more of a "Big Show" than the Diamondman...Not that the Diamondman is a lesser race...Great promotor, Pirahna-sports, as I have done several of there events in 2003 and they put on a first class race...But the Eagleman does have more history and a certain amount of sex appeal...And, whether I am really serious about it or not, I can whisper that I'm doing an Ironman Qualifier :) ..... However, having said all that, if I feel good in late August, I may do the Diamondman also.......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did both Eagleman and Diamondman this year, and both are indeed terrific events. Eagleman will require that you act fairly quickly about signing up, so keep track of the registration numbers. In time, Diamondman will probably become a much-sought-after race. This year it was plagued by lousy weather leading up to race day that necessitated a few changes, including about a half-mile run from the water to T1 and an entirely revamped run course, but it all worked out extremely well. It does not measure quite to a perfect 1/2 IM, but damn close enough. I hope you enjoy Eagleman enough to give Diamondman a shot 3 months later; if so, I'll see you at both!
Quote Reply