Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Power meters vs. Computrainer
Quote | Reply
To many choices...In a perfect world one would have a computrainer, and a stand alone power meter for outdoor training/racing...then again, no silver spoon born in this mouth.

What are people thoughts, experiences - if you can have only one power meter device vs. a Computrainer What factors should be considered - time in saddle; outdoors vs. indoors, numerous wheelsets, etc. Does the additional advantages of a Computrainer play a large factor! Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Power meters vs. Computrainer [jnielsen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Easy choice. I've had or have both.

A powermeter wins hands down because you can train 100% of the time with it. You can't take the CT with you. Training with power is the REAL benefit of the CT, and you lose that ability when you train outside. I don't know about you, but I'd go nuts riding indoors all of the time.

Plus a PT Pro setup and a good Kurt Kinetic or CycleOps fluid trainer still comes in well under the cost of a CT.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Power meter.

SRM.
Quote Reply
Re: Power meters vs. Computrainer [Smitty8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power Meter.

Today, I raced with a 32 spoke, 6 year old training wheel outfitted with a Power Tap.

Left my HED3D disc in the garage. The PT is probably more beneficial than a disc (especially when the road pitches upward).

Of course, SRM with the disc would be ideal.
Quote Reply
Re: Power meters vs. Computrainer [Kevin P.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No. no....SRM DA version with a disc!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Despite being one of the largest investments I've ever made, the SRM has definitely been the BEST. I can't think of anything else that has changed the way I train like it. Even more than my HRM, my SRM is now totally invaluable. I can't imagine training without it. If you are even thinking about it, go for it. It is a great, great, great tool. The SRM D/A 10 gets my vote as it is really easy to change back and forth between bikes if you so desire. I'm especially anxious to see how it impacts my indoor training this winter (not that I'm in a rush AT ALL to go inside), but I think it will be great to have that power feedback on the fluid trainer for the first time...

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Power meters vs. Computrainer [Smitty8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As Vizzini would say ......

INCONCEIVABLE!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alright, Power meters win hands down! Now with the Power meter world who rules? There's a very good comparison @ http://www.ergomo-usa.com/head2head.html

Does anyone have any experience or heard through the grapvine about the Ergomo Sport??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A couple of key considerations...(each system has its pros and cons...you'll have to decide which is most important to you)

- The Powertap system precludes use of purpose-built disk wheels. You can use wheel covers at only a slight weight disadvantage (~1300g rear with cover, using 28 spoke Mavic Open pro/DT revolution spokes/CH cover).

- The Powertap is the most simple to have setup on multiple bikes...simply put an additional wire harness/receiver on each bike, cost is about $65/each for additional harnesses...then just put the wheel in the bike you are riding.

- The ergomo computer is physically fairly large, which may be a consideration if you have a tight cockpit or small aerobars...

There are other real considerations that others can list as well.

Frankly, any of the three, PT, Ergomo, SRM are going to serve you well. I don't like the Polar system because it isn't a direct measurement of torque applied using strain guages. The setup is finicky, and prone to error. Some folks use the Polar with good results, to be sure...but for about the same money, the Powertap is a better system, in my opinion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
one issue that you may want to address first is if racing with a powermeter will help or hinder your results

I am thinking that it may hinder me, as focusing on the powermeter, on a variable course, can lead to distraction/hesitation and ultimately a slower bike split

one option that I am pursuing is forgoing any electronic devices while racing, focusing solely on my internal pacing system, and on rate of percieved exertion

I believe that I can hone a self pacing RPE that effectively will benefit me more than relying on a readout to pace myself

This is where Powertap can be of use, as when I ditch the PT and put on a disc, I do not use heart rate and only focus on breathing, cadence and RPE

right now, I am going to work on pacing by feel, as it has been very effective for me in the past

I just hired one of the best cycling coaches in the US and will be working/riding with him weekly to hone this skill

You should take a look at the PT pro, or SL, and the wheel coveres at Wheelbuilder if you want to race on it a few times
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I must tell you that I think you got a weird sample on your responses here. In most groups the computrainer wins over the power meter for anybody living in a place where the weather prevents year round outdoor cycling. If you are just going to use the computrainer in stand alone mode then these guys are right and the power meter is a far superior way to train with power since you can take it outside. But if you are thinking of spending this kind of money WHY WOULD YOU ONLY USE THE COMPUTRAINER FOR THE POWER METER? It gives you three tremendous things the power meter does not 1) The spinscan so you can work on your efficiency directly and with complete information (on the power meter you will not have nearly as good a sense on this since the readings will only be indirect and for sure you will not have the R vs. L breakdown, 2) You can put in actual courses so you can train with specificity during the winter months and 3) The video game element is motivational so you get your butt on the thing even in the winter time--plus you can save your own past performances and race against them to track your own progress. If you shell out for the coaching software you can even reccord massively detailed information that you or your coach can use to design your workouts.

If you don't live in a sunny climate, I really advise the computrainer. There's a reason 7 or 8 of the 10 ironman winners are using the thing.
Last edited by: goolsbee: Jul 17, 05 16:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have both. If I were starting over, I'd buy the PT wheel and a fluid trainer or 1-up trainer (I have a 1-up). Since I already own the CT, I just use it as a trainer and use the PT display to structure my workouts.

Get the PT. No question.
Quote Reply
Re: Power meters vs. Computrainer [goolsbee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
- The spinscan feature is dubious...as noted by some of the super-smart scientific types posting here and elsewhere. You can derive just as much benefit by doing weekly or semi-weekly single leg drills.

- Who really cares about "specific courses"...If you want specificity...you have it with the power readout. There is no value to the courses feature of the CT...you can't put any visual cues to your efforts...in the end you still ride watts... Power provides all the specificity you need.

- Some may need a video game display...I ride the trainer with friends or a Pro Cycling video... I grew to hate the "video game" perspective of the CT.

- The coaching software is not nearly as good as CyclingPeaks software in terms of analyzing workouts. They aren't on the same planet, let alone in the same league.

As I said above...in the end, the POWER feature of the CT is its TRUE value. And that has been surpassed by powermeters that can travel the roads with you.

I'll turn goolsbee's statement around...If the CT is so good...why would you want to leave it behind in the heart of your season when you are riding outdoors? Doesn't make much sense, does it?
Quote Reply