Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Report from le Tour (now with pictures!)
Quote | Reply
Well... as I posted shortly before we left, we are at the Tour de France and this is my first opportunity to post anything. We saw all the Alpine stages and it was incredible... from seeing Lance sprint up to the finish at Courcheval, watching the Discovery team pull their leader up the Col le Madeline through the throngs of people and the crazy atmosphere at the start at Briancon... television just does not do it justice.

We got to chat with Phil and Paul (sorry, no Bob), met the Leipheimers, visited with "the Badger" Hinault, and met a lot of other great people (Americans and others) including a firefighter from California who we gave a ride to one of the stages.

I have a ton of incredible pictures... including incredible close-ups of Lance and others (I had some pretty prime spots to shoot from) and some really cool close-ups of prototype stuff on some of the bikes that I took at the team hotels. Once I am somewhere where I can upload them I will post them here.

A few observations after seeing four stages in person:

Only Basso gets louder cheers than Lance.

The climbs are incredible, but the descents are crazy.

The Dutch party like it is 1999, the Germans are crazy and drinking LOTS of beer and the French are desperate for a new hero after Voelkler (who surprisingly did not get alot of cheers from the crowd) .

Whatever Trek paid Lance and his team to use their bikes paid off because Trek bikes outnumber everything else 2-1 so far that I have seen. (As do Postal and Discovery jerseys)

Robbie McEwen is much smaller than I thought, and Axel Merckx is not much smaller than Magnus.

Chicken Rasmussen and Floyd Landis need to shave their silly-looking goatees which look even worse in person.

Oscar Sevilla looks even younger in person.

It was cool to see Chris Horner in the breakaway today... and he looks much better than his long goatee days.

The sprinters do not look happy going up hill... and neither did Jan.

Tinz Liz Kreutz amazingly carries around about 30 pounds (and probably thirty-grand worth of) of cameras and still gets the amazing shots that she does.

Smoking is still a French sport.

Dutch fries are better than Belgian ones, which are better than French ones.

My rental car has a terrible blind spot at the A-pillar which causes me to miss cars coming down the switchbacks... and those switchbacks sometimes have NO shoulder on the down-mountain side!

I jokingly told my kids that Liquigas (pronounced: "leaky gas") was the Italian word for "fart" and now every time they fart they say: "excuse me, leaky gas!"... and if you know my kids you know that happens a lot!

OK... now the pictures (I'm new at this and have over 2 gig of photos so it will take me a while to find the ones I want to post and get them on here so keep checking back periodically and I'll eventually get them all on).

The new Ksyrium ES wheel:

Jan's bike:

And shiny new Shimano carbon wheels:

Up the Col de Madeline:

The finish at Courcheval... Jan suffering much more than Lance:

We are off to Switzerland for some hiking. More to come later... including returning for the finish in Paris.

http://irondad06.blogspot.com/

http://irondad.blogspot.com/

Last edited by: IronDad: Jul 19, 05 15:56
Quote Reply
Re: Report from le Tour [IronDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now that's the kind of report we like!!!!!!!!!!! Sweet!!

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Irondad, can you adopt me??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Me too?????????
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, great report-Thanks. I look forward to seeing those pictures once you get them posted. Have fun in Switzerland and have a safe trip back to Paris and then state side.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Robert-

That is the greatest!!!! So glad to hear that you guys are having a blast. I really liked your thoughts on perspectives seen in person versus the perspectives that OLN and the media give us. Very informing and, on some, very funny. Will be looking forward to the photo postings and maybe you'll bring some by the shop one day to show off. Betcha it is waaay cool. Have fun in Switzerland ;-)

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome..thanks.... please keep your word on those photos !!

Trev

Trev Williams
http://www.thedoctrine.ca
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Me three. I'll even clean my room, take out the trash, and cut the grass. No need for a summer job to keep me out of your hair, I work year round.

"In the blocks you're a prisoner, the gun releases you."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hey pops, (assuming that the adoption thing is a sure thing) just send me to europe every summer in July...please!

Can't wait to see the pics.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Jul 15, 05 14:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
awesome. trip of a lifetime. please let us live vicariously thru you, and your leaky gas kids! what a dad, to bring the kids along .... the best trip my pops ever took me on was to Disneyworld. and we couldnt ride space mountain.

venga venga venga

more more more

"In case of flood climb to safety"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great report. We're experiencing it through your eyes. Your family sounds like mine....bathroom humor rocks. Can't wait to see photos! Keep the interesting tidbits coming. Your kids are going to have this experience with them for a very long time.

Last edited by: Football Mom: Jul 15, 05 23:28
Quote Reply
Re: Report from le Tour [aus_tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, it is turning out to be one of those trips of a lifetime... at least for a few years. You know, sometimes you just have to say what the hell and just do it.

I think I found a shop that will transfer my shots from my flash card to a cd which I can then access with a computer and post them. I am not kidding guys... some of these shots are pretty awesome! (and thanks to the slowtwitchers on the advise on the 20D camera and L series 70-200 lens). I hope to get them on tomorrow. The gear-heads will really like my close-ups of the prototype Shimano carbon wheels and the really cool Ksyrium ES (I think they are called) wheels. (Notice I can not use any contractions because this keyboard does not have an apostrophy ;-)

Anyway... we are in Interlaken for a few days and spent the afternoon hiking on the glacier at around 12,000 feet and then the kids went skiing for a couple of hours... yes, you read that right, skiing! There is skiing on the glacier, and as a matter of fact it is where I learned to ski when I was six. What is funny is that on the way down the mountain this evening the kids said they already missed the Tour! We will see... we might catch some stages before Paris.

I try to take my kids every other year to Europe because we do not have any family in the US... they are mostly in Holland... and I think it is important that they are exposed to that and other cultures. This is their fourth time to travel here. (I think the break also keeps them from getting burned out on some of their sports.) What is amazing is how easily they switch from danke wel, to merci beaucoup, to danke schön.

And yeah, I might adopt some of you guys for the next trip if you volunteer to pay for the gas!

Well... thanks for all the nice words and I promise to have pictures up soon!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am GUHREEN with envy. To see Lance in his final Tour is surely not an experience to miss!

Jealously yours...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I have been fortunate enough to attend a lot of cool sporting events: masters, super bowl, final four, olympics etc. etc. I had more fun last year at the TDF than any of the events in the US.
Quote Reply
Re: Report from le Tour [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks... but you're the master of all event-coverers... I am a mere novice!

Here, finally, are my pictures...

Quote Reply