Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Heidi Klum for New Balance fitness line [npda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I typically read "!" and ALL CAPS as yelling which gives off the impression of a rant.

You and I fundamentally agree. It is sad there is so much focus on looks and not enough focus on fitness. True across genders but women really get the brunt of it.

Women workout for different reasons and I'm happy as long as they get out there. If it takes HK to get them excited about wearing workout gear, good for them.

People, men and women, will throw up barriers to working out if they don't want to do it. Clothing is easy. The others are cost and time. I can't help with cost and time but I can help them find clothes they are comfortable with if they are really all that interested.

When I started running there just weren't as many options out there. I still have a pair of Nike compression shorts I got when I just started out. They have held up incredibly well and were the only ones I could find for women. This was only 11 or 12 years ago.

You and I, and most members of this forum, are not typical and I try to remind myself of that when I go to the gym or see women wearing workout clothes I wouldn't.

We can all vote with our $$ too. I buy a lot of workout stuff from Target, Brooks and Moving Comfort.

I dress up for races. I paint my nails, I pick matching clothes, but I don't sacrifice comfort for looks. I think most women reach this point once they embrace the label "athlete." Most days I'm please I don't look like a confused 5 year out when I go out the door. I need Granimals.

This is a bit of a disorganized post, sorry about that. I'm supposed to be getting work done so I can head up to a Title 9 sale later this afternoon.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Heidi Klum for New Balance fitness line [genkigirl1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
genkigirl1 wrote:
Perhaps I have just gone at the wrong time to the wrong store. Nothing fit me there. Too big in the waist, the bras aren't supportive enough, the tops too strappy, the clothing doesn't feel breathable... Both my sisters go on and on about the place but every time I have gone I have been less than impressed - and holy crap the prices!!

I have to ask, what is the silver thing? Silver in shirts??

Not running shorts per say but I love Moving Comfort "compression" shorts as they have pockets, have crotch lining and aren't too short. No sausage legs, come in black and have lasted forever. Great for biking, running and swimming. I don't have a tri suit but just wear them and a moving comfort bra and tank top. Honestly, moving comfort is the best company I have found when it comes to what I like in terms of training gear.

indeed silver impregnated which inhibits bacteria ergo your wicking technical shirts stay non stinky - I have it in short and long sleeve and may get sleeveless if summer begs me to. I also use their zip top long sleeve winter running shirts for skiing as well as running and honestly the best technical gear I have found.

I made ALL my other running tights (without pockets) into long underwear for skiing and now only use the lululemon. My favorite winter running jacket is theirs (bought in Canada before they were in the US)

oh and totally forgot their running gloves fit well and have tips to use your smart phone on the fingers.
Quote Reply
Re: Heidi Klum for New Balance fitness line [Gee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
we were asked to identify our favorite body part, and why, then had a heart drawn there.

I really really like this idea, Gee. I've been having trouble with my hips the past few months (actually, it's radiculopathy coming from some bulging discs in my lower lumbar, coupled with that spondyl... thing, but who's counting). I'm going to steal that idea and get a nice pretty neon pink magic marker and make hearts on each hip, right where the greater trochanter is. My mantra lately has been "strong hips, stable hips, happy hips, healthy hips." This will send even more good intention and healing energy to the boo-boos.

Totally nothing to do with the thread. But it's a genius idea, and thanks.

~~ kate
Quote Reply
Re: Heidi Klum for New Balance fitness line [dreaming~big] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Happy to be of service, Kate -- I am sooooo much happier in life now that I have (mostly) come to terms with how I look. If others don't think I "look good," it's not that I don't really care (of course I do, everyone wants to look good) but rather I think they have the wrong idea of what looks good. Keep thinking about all the good and important things your hips do for you, and draw those pink hearts as often as you need!

In the meantime, back to the OP, I have a very hardcore "don't-call-me-a-chick" triathlete friend who is a New Balance tech manager. I'll pass this thread on to her, and see if she'd like to weigh in on the "Heidi" factor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gee wrote:
In the meantime, back to the OP, I have a very hardcore "don't-call-me-a-chick" triathlete friend who is a New Balance tech manager. I'll pass this thread on to her, and see if she'd like to weigh in on the "Heidi" factor.

Would LOVE to hear her opinions. For the record, I buy a lot of New Balance, and I used this one example of what many, many companies are currently doing, using fashion to sell running and fitness clothes, which, judging from the responses of you all here, is met with a mixed bag of emotions- appreciation, ambivalence, skepticism and/or disappointment. Extremely interesting to hear her take.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gee wrote:
Happy to be of service, Kate -- I am sooooo much happier in life now that I have (mostly) come to terms with how I look. If others don't think I "look good," it's not that I don't really care (of course I do, everyone wants to look good) but rather I think they have the wrong idea of what looks good. .

Shit, you look freaking great! And said much better what I was trying to articulate. Overly tired trying to close on a house (still not a done deal) and it would be nice to have hot water to take a shower in the 90F weather after moving all day yesterday.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Heidi Klum for New Balance fitness line [trackie clm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Personally, I for one prefer to look good when I work out. YVMV.

I care mostly when it comes to swimsuits. I would wager I fall in the "don't care" column by others' standards when it comes to day to day gym wear, as I don't have anything matching, no running skirts, and no pink. I pull things out of a drawer and put them on.

Swimming, on the other hand, I definitely think about what suits look best before I buy them.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Heidi Klum for New Balance fitness line [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:
Quote:
Personally, I for one prefer to look good when I work out. YVMV.

I care mostly when it comes to swimsuits. I would wager I fall in the "don't care" column by others' standards when it comes to day to day gym wear, as I don't have anything matching, no running skirts, and no pink. I pull things out of a drawer and put them on.

Swimming, on the other hand, I definitely think about what suits look best before I buy them.

I agree...the swimsuit doesn't get bought until it looks decent when I try it on (and my arse is covered!). I don't want to make little kids cry when I parade around in the thing.

I went shopping with a great friend, who, when she saw one suit I tried on, and liked (in a ladies-only shop, where you know the saleswomen are trained to be sensitive to their customers various body-issues), announced to everyone within earshot "You look like crap in that!". She was right, and I laughed. But the poor saleslady looked horrified - until she realised I wasn't going to burst into tears. The next suit fit waaaay better!
Quote Reply
Re: Heidi Klum for New Balance fitness line [cjdavids] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's pretty awesome.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like you're situated in Yonderville for the long term. Congrats on the house!

~~ k
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree on the first, wholeheartedly, but think it contradicts the second altogether, because the second implies some standard of "what looks good" that our society generally has bought into -- don't wear strappy tops if you're not sporting 34C implants or are factory-installed perky B or less; don't wear booty shorts if you have a tummy, a C-section scar, cellulite, or a less-than-perfectly-round-and-lifted ass. I'm not saying Genkigirl intended to say that at all; rather that's a common belief today that pervades our unconsciousness...

Certainly not trying to say that at all - and thanks for giving me the benefit of the doubt!

I see nothing wrong with being "that" girl - I wish I had the body to carry off that type of clothing but I don't. I just don't think a lot of women have the body to carry it all off. Yep, that does make me judgmental, I admit, I judge. I think we all judge - some to different degrees. I just don't think a lot of the women wearing some things are happy to be wearing them but it's the fashion and therefore, buy and deal with it. I see it by the women in front of the mirror in the changing room pulling at the tops, tucking things in, sucking in their stomachs, pulling at their shorts... I just can't help but think that if there wasn't pressure to want to wear such things, they would buy better fitting clothes that they are comfortable in. The thing is, finding such clothing these days is no easy feat. I have a heck of a time trying to find things that fit well, cover me when I want to be covered and come in colours I like. I'm by no means a big girl but I feel that the push with sports gear being fashionable isn't helping women want to become active. I think it is "making" a whole bunch of women buy overpriced clothing in false hope.

At the end of the day, wear what makes you confident and comfortable but I don't see a lot of women looking confident nor comfortable in what they are wearing. And heck, even saying that is judgmental... I just think that there is a huge lack of comfortable sports clothing out there for women. And if it isn't comfortable, I'm not confident in wearing it. Hence me wearing shirts that are falling apart that I know I need to replace but I can't find anything to replace them with because everything I see is strap happy, low cut and not what I want or need.

Oh and bathing suit shopping.... I think it is a form of torture. May I ask why companies are now selling unlined suits for the most part?? Hate them. At least the new speedo types with the long legs cover up my fat bum better! ;) I do miss the speedo two piece sports suits they used to make. I'd kill for one. The Nike ones are cute but the tops are too small for me to stuff my girls into and not fear they'll pop out.

As for the running skirts, thanks for the picture. I've never actually seen one of those. The skirts here are all short skirts that the women wear over their tights/shorts so they still have the chance at chaffing and the like. I like the look of that skirt!
Quote Reply
Re: Heidi Klum for New Balance fitness line [dreaming~big] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dreaming~big wrote:
Sounds like you're situated in Yonderville for the long term. Congrats on the house!

~~ k

Thanks! Well, at least for the medium term. ha

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pix or it didn't happen.

cheers.

~~ k
Quote Reply