Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

NYC Tri Run - comparatiive data
Quote | Reply
On another thread there were concerns expressed about whether this year's run was a bit less than 10km, with several people citing that last year's was 0.3 short. I looked at results from both years, mostly from the M50-59 age groups, and what follows are a series of pairs with the first number being the '04 run time, the second number being the '05 time (of course, the numbers in each pair apply to the same person!):

47:28/51:21....57:05/61:09....43:46/44:49....42:44/48:20....49:07/51:45....45:58/60:56....52:42/54:58
57:14/61:24....59:34/65:47....54:57/56:18....68:03/71:53....34:09/35:51....34:54/34:56....52:28/52:23

The last one is the only one I checked where the '05 time was better than '04's. The second-to-last one is for Stephen Smith, the overall a.g. winner. The third-to-last is for the winner both years for M45-49. There are some serious differences here that exceed what one might expect form just a 0.3 adjustment. (Where did last year's run go, anyhow?)

So, Kus, be happy with your time on Sunday, as it looks as if it might indeed be legitimate!
Quote Reply
Re: NYC Tri Run - comparatiive data [longspur] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
because of the addition of a separate women's only transition area this years run for both men and women was slightly different. The men instead of heading directly to the underpass had to run around the women's transition taking the longer indirect route. this would probably add 30 seconds to a minute to the men's times versus last year...

the women had a much shorter run out of their transitiop so their times should actually be quicker than last year.

in terms of course distance, for the men it was at least closer to 10k although i am guessing still short...hence, the womens would be definitely short of a tru 10k.

in the last 4 four years of witnessing/participating in this race the run course has been different every year! fingers crossed if they change it again it'll be at least accurate.

why doesn't a local take their bike computer and measure it?

-----------------------------------------------
www.true-motion.com Triathlete Casual Wear since 2007
(Twitter/FB)
Quote Reply
Re: NYC Tri Run - comparatiive data [longspur] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last year it was actually over 0.3 short. I would say closer to 0.5 short. I said I thought it was 0.3 last year, but I know it was way shorter. I'd been running pretty steady pacing, and even with the long downhill in the finishing stretch, I was about 1:30 under my per mile pace for the last 1.22 miles, when I should have been about 1:30 over, meaning it was about 3 minutes, or 0.5 miles at the pace I was running (or so), short last year.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: NYC Tri Run - comparatiive data [pbashfor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
...why doesn't a local take their bike computer and measure it?

Hey Paul, since you are a local, how about doing it?

I "strongly" believe longspur is right. I'm not going to measure it...:o)

Stefan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pbashfor -

By and large, you are right about times reflecting T-zone locations. However, the differences for the females are neither as great nor as consistent as for the males. Below are some comparative data for mostly W40-44. (Obviously, I'm at loose ends today......)

42:21/41:44....45:28/45:36....56:15/51:30....50:33/52:55....50:57/52:00....52:12/51:41
50:01/49:26....50:19/49:08....59:29/59:08....39:53/41:42

6/10 faster this year, 4/10 slower. Who knows??

Kus - Still! Congratulations on the 10k PR!
Quote Reply
Re: NYC Tri Run - comparatiive data [kus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stefan...i live in the sticks of CT these days man... pull on your speedos and grab a yard stick and do the honors for us!

-----------------------------------------------
www.true-motion.com Triathlete Casual Wear since 2007
(Twitter/FB)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]stefan...i live in the sticks of CT these days man... pull on your speedos and grab a yard stick and do the honors for us![/reply]

Damn, now the truth is out that I was the green speedo man in the video. You shouldn't have done that. :o)

Stefan
Quote Reply
Re: NYC Tri Run - comparatiive data [kus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
<...why doesn't a local take their bike computer and measure it? >

If I get a chance this week I'll measure the run course,with my bike.
Quote Reply
Re: NYC Tri Run - comparatiive data [catmandu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
catmandu -

Thank you for this offer - inquiring minds want to know!

(Psst - Be careful not to cut any corners!)
Quote Reply
Re: NYC Tri Run - comparatiive data [catmandu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's no question it was short (making my run time even that much more embarrassing). I measured the course on Microsoft Streets & Trips a couple times and the furthest I could make it was 6.0. I came out to 5.9 on the rest. It makes sense, it's not even a mile to the park from below the boat basin. That's a straight shot so there's no chance for measuring deviation. The central park upper loop (72nd transverse to northern hills) is almost exactly 5 miles (NYRR website has the exact measurement). With half or 1/3 of the 72nd street transverse not being run there's just no way it can add up to 6.2
Quote Reply