Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Upgrading from MTB pedals...
Quote | Reply
I have been cycling for about a year and have used MTB shimano spd pedals the entire time. I think they weigh 380g. I am probably going to get some new pedals this weekend, most likely Look Keo which weigh something like 220g. Should I notice a change in power output with new pedals since there should be a fair improvement in rolling resistance? Right now I can do 320 watts for 20 miles, would it be fair to anticipate output at 325?
Quote Reply
Re: Upgrading from MTB pedals... [Flanagan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rolling resistance? You're not changing tires here! Do you mean resistance in the bearings? If so, there will be absolutely no measureable difference with the new pedals. The weight reduction will be nice, but again, you won't feel any difference while on the bike. Well, you'll notice a small difference if you put your bike on a scale.

Anyways, the LOOK Keo's are nice pedals. I like them better than the older style looks- they are lower profile and offer better ground clearance for pedaling through turns. I also like (and personally use) Shimano Dura Ace and Ultegra pedals. They have a similar design to the Looks and function very well. I like them better because they have a replacable plate on the top of the pedal body. It is a wear item that needs to be replaced about every time you replace your cleats. I'd rather wear away at a plastic plate than the actual alloy pedal body. I don't know if any Look users have had this problem, before, but I like the idea of having it be replaceable.
Quote Reply
Re: Upgrading from MTB pedals... [gregk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah rolling resistance, which is...if I remeber physics correctly something like m*r^2. there is rolling resistance for anything that is rotating. if you either decrease the radius or decrease the mass, then you will have decreased the rolling resistance. I am curious how much of an effect 150 or so grams makes for decreasing the resistance that is present from the pedals rotating. thanks for your input.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I see what you mean, and I don't think it'll make much of a difference. I'm not trying to discourage you here- I think a good set of road pedals is a nice upgrade. Just try to stay out of the mud with your shoes!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recently got a pair of Look Keo's. I weighed them myself and the pair is 8 oz (1/2 pound!) lighter than the vintage Looks I had been using. (I upgraded from clips and straps to clipless after seeing LeMond and Hinault use them in the Tour. . . . I was the first one on the block to have them.)

I love the Keo pedals but I can't say I have noticed any performance difference due to the reduced weight. Nothing will ever top that move from clips to clipless.
Quote Reply