Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

noise from rear wheel
Quote | Reply
I have several wheels in 650c and 700c and i have experence this problem with all of them. Not all my rides but fairly often i here a loud noise from my rear wheel after i have been coasting and just started pedaling again, the noise sounds like your chain has tried to skip a gear. my riding buddie says its from the free wheel that the cassette slips on and his does this about as often as mine does. other riders say they have never heard this noise. WANT GIVES?
Quote Reply
Re: noise from rear wheel [QR guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've only had this happen when one of three things were amiss. Either my cogs were not tightened all the way or they were worn and needed replacing. The third instance is when my derailleur was out of whack.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm no expert, but I think it has to do with how may prawls(?) your freehub body has. Chris King touts that his hubs have 72 engagement teeth compared to the standard 24 tooth pawl-type freehub. This apparently results in quicker engagement. The noise you may be hearing is the result of slower engagement with a standard 24 tooth pawl-type freehub. Kind of a "CLUNK" sound.

That's my $.02

Sean
Quote Reply
Re: noise from rear wheel [haystack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
haystack i think you might have something there. it sounds like a clunk sound and only does it after i have been coasting and than started pedaling again. i am going to have my rear derailler aligned.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had the same noise on my rear wheel. Ehen I would start pedalling again, especially when accelerating from a standstill, there would be a sharp metallic 'CLANG' noise. Turned out my rear hunb/freewheel was worn out, and had a lot of axial free play (about 2mm). New freewheel and the noise was gone. I suggest you check the free play (radially) of your freewheel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mom always said you weren't to smart. Of course you are alot smarter than our FRENCH buddy
Quote Reply