Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cervical Herniated Disc. Who has one?
Quote | Reply
Just wondering if any of you guys have cervical disc issues and how you manage them? I love my cycle and it has been my saving grace since the injury 9 months ago. I am stuck at this 90% better mark and am having a hard time just ridding the last bit of irritation and stiffness

I have been training for an Aqua bike while my girlfriend is training for the full tri. But the last flair up but a damper on my training for the last week and half. I some times think my goals to do a full triathlon are just a dream but I am sure there are many that must have had disc problems.

My protrusion is at c5-c6 and while I am night and day better comparison to when I first got hurt it still gets to me now and then. I stopped lifting and that was a big part of my life and I traded it in for cycling and now wanting to complete a triathlon. I am only 26 and I am in great shape even with this disc problem. I just keel doing my traction and waiting it out.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervical Herniated Disc. Who has one? [ian0789] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a similar issue with C5&6. Unfortunately, I didn't know they were herniated. They were poking into a nerve that made my right arm sore and I thought I had a pulled muscle. My doctor agreed. We went through a round of pain meds and muscle relaxers. Because I didn't feel 2 bad, I did 2 marathons in 3 weeks (Sept and Oct 2010). In November, I woke up one morning in the worst pain of my life and went to the ER immediately. BAM! Disks were jamming hard into the nerves. After a failed attempt at physical therapy, I finally had the disks replaced and have never felt better!

In short, be careful with this and don't screw around. I'd work very closely with a doctor to figure out what your options are. Being in my early 30's, I didn't want to adapt a lifestyle to manage the pain and am glad I went with the surgery. But based on your situation and the severity, you might still have more options. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a HD at C6/C7. Went to PT at a local hospital, a bunch of crap done each time with zero results. Doc sent me to a surgeon, of course he wanted to cut me open...no dice too many horror stories. Doc sent me to a pain mgt. doctor, still no results. A friend, who is a PT was telling me all along to come see him. My thought, he is just a PT, I'm seeing doctors. My mistake!!!! My first visit, he was feeling around and could feel the HD ( the surgeon had a hard time seeing it on a MRI). Saw him for 8 weeks, once per week. Each visit, 20 min. of heat, 20 min. of massage and 20 min. of traction. Pain gone and hasn't (knock on wood) been back for 5 years. Good Luck
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had (still have?) bulged discs in C4-C5 and C5-C6 and a "moderate sized" herniated disc in C6-C7 last spring. I did a ton of PT/Chiropractic and strength work (specifically on my lats and other back muscles). I think the key to my recovering and being able to get back to distance riding was getting my back muscles working properly. I had very little lat activation and my shoulders and pecs were taking the brunt of it. My pecs were super tight and I had to do a lot of stretching in order to get them to open up. I still tape my shoulders in a criss-cross fashion (to pull them back) during long weekend rides. Somewhat of a crutch I'm sure, but it helps with my posture and stability. There are also stability shirts you can use, though I personally find the tape more specific. I have had a quick relapse once or twice, at which time I scale back my mileage and make sure I am religious about my back strength.

Edit: I also changed my bike fit to make it less aggressive and more upright. Better to be less aero and still be able to ride, in my opinion.
Last edited by: work2tri: Mar 27, 13 11:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had one at C6-C7 due to a long history of rapid decelerations (mostly skiing). It bothered me off and on for 5 or 6 years before it became completely unbearable. Not only couldn't I ride my bike, but I couldn't stand up. I was inhaling Vitamin I and finally had to resort to narcotics. I'm a professor, so I'd suffer through class then have to lie down on my office floor for two hours.

For most of my experience, the doctors, physical therapists, chiropractors, etc., were largely worthless. Apparently I didn't complain enough. I finally insisted on an MRI and then my problem was obvious.

I had a fusion done in 2010, and the relief was immediate. I've never regretted my choice to go with surgery; I only wish I had done it sooner. I did a lot of research into the available surgeons, and selected one who has done the surgery thousands of times (literally). He also had a good attitude, understood athletes, and didn't make me feel like I was just another piece of meat on his assembly line. I also found a bunch of studies on the effects of cervical fusions on athletes (football players) and felt comfortable that I'd still be able to do what I want to do.

If you can deal with the discomfort, then I probably wouldn't get the surgery. In my case, I felt like I had no other choice. It was impossible to imagine continuing to live like I was. Unfortunately, be aware that you might be fine for an extended period of time, and then it can knock you down suddenly. For me, I was stretching in bed right after I woke up. That might not be common (I don't know), but it did happen to me.

Good luck! Unless you've been there, it's hard for people to really understand what you're going through.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ian0789 wrote:
Just wondering if any of you guys have cervical disc issues and how you manage them? I love my cycle and it has been my saving grace since the injury 9 months ago. I am stuck at this 90% better mark and am having a hard time just ridding the last bit of irritation and stiffness

I have been training for an Aqua bike while my girlfriend is training for the full tri. But the last flair up but a damper on my training for the last week and half. I some times think my goals to do a full triathlon are just a dream but I am sure there are many that must have had disc problems.

My protrusion is at c5-c6 and while I am night and day better comparison to when I first got hurt it still gets to me now and then. I stopped lifting and that was a big part of my life and I traded it in for cycling and now wanting to complete a triathlon. I am only 26 and I am in great shape even with this disc problem. I just keel doing my traction and waiting it out.

Get it repaired with either fusion or ADR.

You can look into microdiscectomy but I don't think the success rate is all that good. I have a 2 level ADR performed by Todd Lanman @ http://www.spine.md/. Couldn't be happier. FWIW The doctor has a fusion and an ADR in his neck too. If you dont't live in So Cal, I am sure that he can refer you to someone in your area. Not too many surgeons with much ADR experience in the US but that is quickly changing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ian0789 wrote:

I have 3 herniated cervical disks. I quit cycling and took up weight lifting. Really, I was starting to get symptoms before the disk ruptured. I was getting lots of muscle twitching in the left tricep, lat, forearm and pec after long rides. I believe that the cycling really aggravated (perhaps caused?) the situation. One day while lifting something relatively light, the disk went bang. It took a year to recover most of my strength and some of my strength I will never get back. The only thing I cannot do is ride a road or tri bike because of the head position. Running, weight lifting, surfing, swimming, paddleboarding.....all no problem.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervical Herniated Disc. Who has one? [Grindcore] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for the reply's! I was told that I shouldnt go under the knife because while I have a disc issue it will heal on its own but will take its time and be long. I had to injections and have done a few rounds of oral steroid packs but the symptoms only got masked or went away a little bit. The epidurals didnt do a thing for me so I never went for the third one. I work as an OR Tech so I was lucky to have a Pain Doctor that has very good needle placement. It just didnt do a thing for me and I do know others who said the same. He did send me to PT and I did get some great solid results from that.

9 Months ago I lost my left arm function and I felt like I had been stabbed in the back in between my shoulder blade. I couldnt even sit down on the crapper with out feeling like I was going to vomit or pass out. I had to hold my left arm up by grabbing the seat belt just to drive my car and I was unable to even sit in my girlfriends car for more then a few minutes because of how the seats had been shaped. So I think back from that time till now and I am soooo much better. I had no strength at all in my left hand, heck a gallon jug of water felt like it was a thousand pounds. I was deeply depressed and thought surgery was my only chance. So knock on wood I haven't had to go under the knife and I wouldn't want a fusion at my age unless I had no choice. But still it does suck very much.

So my daily life is 30min of traction 1-2 times a day but always make sure to do one 30 no matter what. Chin tucks 20x3 a day and I also will do some band strengthening stuff for my upper back 2-3 times a week. I also have a TENS unit I will toss on now and then with heat. I have made improvement but I am just chomping at the bit to get back to a normal life. I wasnt prepared from going from doing what ever I wanted to feeling like my neck could blow out with a sneeze. I also had acupuncture the other day for the 1st time to help get rid of some of the knots that seem to cause most of my pain and problems these days. It did help so will try it again next week to see if I can get some even better results

It is nice to see others that have had the same problems and are still training or racing. I find I can ride my road bikes and even my tri bike for as much as I want with out having any problems. Maybe just a bit of tightness if its windy out and I am death gripping the bars and not paying attention. My hands used to go numb while riding when my neck was really bad but that problem is long gone and wasnt a fit issue just neck was destroyed. I cant ride my MT so that has been put in storage. I have hung up my running shoes and I have stopped lifting. I just hope in the long run I can get back to hypertrophy weight training and finishing a full Tri.

I got this from a stiff neck and went to find a Chiro to get me back in line. I found someone who was shady as hell and had me pay out of pocket / said it was better to deal with him not using insurance. Told me it would be cheaper but didnt foresee him cranking on my neck and feeling a pop..... I am sure I had something going on in my neck to start with but he sure as hell helped me pop a disc :/

I also will say you guys are right. No one will ever know how bad a disc problem is until it happens to them. I used to never think that disc problems are as bad as people say they are but lord I would give anything to not feel the pain I have gotten from this injury. I ripped my quad muscle and that was bad but nothing like this and I literately broke my ass (bone) and as much as that sucked Id take both those injuries over this any day. Because you know that one day it will heal and not just playing the waiting game and fear a sneeze coming on.
Last edited by: ian0789: Mar 27, 13 14:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hurt myself about your age, maybe 28, and dealt with roboneck for 9 years before I severely herniated my c7 and compressed my spinal cord and was forced to have the operation. I wish I had this surgery in my 20's. I'm 44 now and in my second season of tri. I just went 2:34 on an Oly which is not bad considering I'm old, 25lbs overweight and still a tri newb. I douldn't dream of doing triathlon presurgery.

Talk to your doctor, you are too young to be disabled.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get in touch (via PM) with Donzo98 on this forum. He's a neurosurgeon and I've had pretty good discussions with him about my situation (an early, non-symptomatic C5-C6 herniation which damaged my spinal cord in an accident I was in). If you have imagery (MRIs, CT scans) get them to him and he'll give his two cents (at least he did to me).

Some positive info: in my case, the herniation "went away" after a year of forcibly taking it easy. So I've been told I don't need surgery. My brother over in Europe got cortisone shots for the same herniation (it's a hereditary thing, apparently), which is something they're not too keen on here in North America I'm told. Here they will do cortisone shots in the thoracic and lumbar spine, not in the cervical spine. But that could also be a Canadian thing.

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do yourself a favor and check out this book or one of the others by Robin McKenzie. I had/have 2 herniated cervical disks c5/c6 and c6/c7and these McKenzie exercises have helped me immensely. They seem counter intuitive but they work.

I had a sports surgeon recommend a double fusion but its been 2 years and I've managed quite well without the surgery.

7 Steps to a Pain-Free Life: How to Rapidly Relieve Back and Neck Pain [Paperback] Robin McKenzie
Last edited by: 4mirswimr: Mar 27, 13 21:32
Quote Reply
Re: Cervical Herniated Disc. Who has one? [4mirswimr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you both, I have my 2 MRI's in the room so gotta hunt them down. I just dont know at this point what to do. I just came back from work and my neck is flared up. I had to do Pain Cases and had a lead Xray vest on for 3 hours and now all my pain and symptoms are going to come right back and I will have yet another set back. I was told by everyone that seen my MRI that it wasnt that bad but I did have compression on my spinal cord so when it acts up it will really act up. I just honestly cant take much more of this. I feel so depressed and strung out. For all the progress I make I just get pushed back down again and at this point I just wanna give up.

Will try to PM him and see what he thinks cant hurt to get his 2cents. I will also look up that book, I have been trying everything so at this point its worth a try.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go to http://spine.md and watch the with the kite surfer. Apparently, my surgeon had three, yes three, artificial discs implanted in his lumbar spine in addition to the fusion and artificial disc he already has in his cervical spine. Lumbar spine operations are WAY more difficult and risky than cervical operations. The approach is super risky and scarring makes revision surgery even more difficult and risky. My doc took three ADR in the lumbar spine. That's confidence, bro.

He did my two-level Prestige LP in 06. I am mostly pain free...my neck is 1000% better than it was. I still have some numbness in the tip of my left index finger but my arms and legs are strong. Only some occasional neck stiffness, no real pain.

People are going to try to steer you away from surgery because they are scared to get it done (rightfully so) but the success rates are well over 90% and the chance of paralysis is around 1-2% ...a real risk. My doc had done over 3000 cervical fusions and ADR operations in 06 without one patient being paralyzed (he has prolly done several hundred ADR by now). But shit does happen.

I am an ADR evangelist because it totally saved my life. Best of luck whatever you decide.
Last edited by: Grindcore: Mar 28, 13 16:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a bicycle accident 11 years ago that hurt all my cervical discs. For 10 years my symptoms were electrical shocking sensations in my legs and arms, mostly initiated when I would tilt my head down. Finally it got so bad that I got an MRI that showed my spinal cord be squished by a disc and some bone spurs. Had cervical discectomy and fusion. Two weeks after surgery I swam a mile. 10 months after surgery, I completed a half ironman. If the surgery is a success than it's all up to you as far as how you want to recover.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rare for a 26yo to have a true herniated disk but certainly can happen. I'd recommend seeing a good neurosurgeon to confirm that the pain is certainly from that disk level and if so maybe try a selected nerve root injection at that disk level as another conservative option. Save surgery for the very LAST resort!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ruptured my c6-c7 five years ago. Too much abuse. It led to horrible pain and uncontrollable spasms in my right arm. The first doctor I saw was a surgeon and wanted to fuse my neck the next day. I quickly found someone else. He advised that I should undergo cortisone injections, home traction, and PT. I did exactly as I was instructed and I've been good to go ever since. Eventually I will need to have my injury addressed with a disk replacement, but that's years away. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Cervical Herniated Disc. Who has one? [Indigodog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi! I know this is old but—how are you able to run with a ruptured c6/7? Mine is bulged and it feels like I have no shock absorption; running jars my head.

Tbh I have like no muscle tone.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervical Herniated Disc. Who has one? [work2tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you also go on long runs? My c6/7 is pretty bulged and it feels like my neck has no shock absorption
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I developed radicular pain down the left arm riding an aggressive time trial position. MRI showed C5-6 herniated disc. My neurosurgeon said we could always do surgery later as my symptoms were mostly pain but no muscle atrophy or weakness. He sent me to a PT who specializes in spine PT, also has a Pilates specialization. I was skeptical but with gentle traction and exercise my symptoms resolved after 4 weeks. No further symptoms and I modified my bike position to avoid reinjury.
Quote Reply