Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pedals: which do you recommend?
Quote | Reply
Ive had spd pedals ever since I got my first 'real' bike 7yrs ago-- i didnt know anything about cycling then, so Ive just gone with them and they have worked fine so far. Im 5'3, 127, havent had any problems or injuries on the bike. I have a left-leg ITB thing that sometimes flares up from running, and a 'mystery' right leg Ischiadicus/pyriformis/L5disk problem thats constantly inflamed, but never aggravated from riding. Im riding a 49cm Bianchi Eros.

I just got new shoes, and am considering switching pedals: I still know little to nothing about pedal systems.

Any recommendations? Benefits/problems with look/spd/time etc?

thanks a lot!

Ziva
Quote Reply
Re: Pedals: which do you recommend? [Ziva] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
go to michiganbikesport.com and read the review of the speedplay zeros.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Look pedals are inexpensive and easy to use. Although the Speedplay Zero is a little more expensive, it's my favorite of the various ones that I've tried. After reading the review at Bikesport's site I got the Speedplay's and couldn't be more happy.
Quote Reply
Re: Pedals: which do you recommend? [R Isgrigg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have tried damn near every other system out there...I always went back to Time...even though they are French.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Pedals: which do you recommend? [Record9ti] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Record9Ti: Why Time? Id love to hear the key about why you prefer them.

Anyone: Any reason SPDs on a road/tri bike should be worse than any of the other pedals?

thanks! Z
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As seen in a prior post...

Time - my pedal. Sure, the older ones were a bit heavier than some others out there. Oddly enough, I heard that a Time Titan Mag pedal with cleat - was the same weight as a Speedplay with the cleats. Time will offer more float than a Look, Campy, or SPD style pedal - and also offers an automatic (by default) level of "Q-Factor" play. Time also has (with Time shoes) the closest foot - to pedal axle of any pedal available. It is common that people who go from Look style to Time pedals that they need to lower their seat about 10mm. Time is also still (I think) the #1 pedal of the Pro peloton.

Look - The standard. They are good pedals, good price, good float, good cleats, good availability...not great at anything. But good. You will need to be more careful about aligning your cleats with Look style pedals as you may injure your knees easier with Look than some other pedals (Add Campy and Shimano to that comment too). I have also in the past had issues with Look style cleats moving on me...and they tend to pull out a bit more often than some of the other systems out there. There are now look pedals out there that have a diffrent spring for holding you in and another for float centering.

Shimano...I think they just cant make their minds up...jeesh, SPD, not SPD, big cleat, small cleat. Look cleat...I have seen NO LESS than 6 Shimano Ultrgra pedals have the springs pop out and need to be put back togther to be able to ride. I have never seen that with the Dura Ace on though. I am not sure the diffrence but I would not ride the Ultegra pedal and feel comfortable in an all out sprint on one.

Speedplay...sure they are light. I myself do not care for that much float. They are cheap and light. Not as light as you would think though...they need to put that cleat on the scale next time they weigh the pedals. Plus the Ti ones I think have a 200lbs weight limit. I would not myself ride any pedal with a weight limit.

SPD's...small cleat, if you have anything but the best shoes with the stiffest soles it is common to get hot spots on these. That I am sure is part of the reason that Shimano went to the much larger cleat on the new pedals. However they were pretty darn stable to sprint in and are easy for people to walk in if you need to.

That is all I can think of off the top of my head, I am sure that others can add a ton more.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

IMPACT has scored a technological breakthrough by achieving ultra-light weight without reducing the platform surface essential for transmission of pedaling power.

Of all pedals on the market, IMPACT has the best ratio of platform surface to weight: 26 mm2 per gram.

Not another light pedal with no platform!

The ultra-light IMPACT design eliminates all excess mass and is produced
in high-tech materials such as titanium and magnesium for a dramatic weight saving.

Weighing just 240 grams per pair, IMPACT Mag – Ti is one of the lightest pedals on the market.

IMPACT pedals have an oversize 312 platform - nearly 15% larger than the
TIME EQUIPE PRO, which already had the largest platform of any road pedal.

An oversize platform provides:
  • Lateral support for maximum foot stability and direct transmission of pedaling power
  • Greater distribution of pedaling pressure for extra comfort

The IMPACT oversize platform provides a tremendous feeling of power and stability, with no pressure point or "hot spot" under the foot.
    [top] [return to IMPACT home page]

• Biomechanical studies reveal that to achieve maximum pedaling efficiency, the ball of the foot must be as close as possible to the pedal axle. With the foot closer to the axle, there is less "rocking torque". Rocking torque reduces pedaling efficiency and power.

IMPACT pedals feature a minimal 7.7 mm distance between the platform and the axle. IMPACT aims your pedaling power directly at the pedal axle.

EFFICIENCY: For the same energy input, IMPACT transmits more power output.

[/url]
    Exclusive technology that allows you to personalize your pedaling sensation or "feel".

S.E.T. allows adjustment of the sensation of float, with more or less resistance within the ±5° of angular float.

Angular float ± 5 degrees
    Lateral float 2.5 to 5 mm

Only TIME pedals respect natural leg movement by allowing angular and lateral float. By adapting to your unique biomechanics, IMPACT pedals make riding more efficient and comfortable, eliminating unnatural stresses on the knees and minimizing the risk of tendinitis.

TIME IMPACT pedals adapt to the rider and not the rider to the pedals.

IMPACT cleats let you personalize your release with the choice of 2 release angles to the outside:
    13° or 17°. This allows for natural variations of foot position as well as different riding styles.

IMPACT is good for the all-out sprinter who throws his bike around as well as for the rider who prefers easier release.

IMPACT allows adjustment of lateral foot position. This setting makes it possible to move your foot 2.5 mm closer to the crank.

Depending on the Q-factor setting, lateral float can range from 5.0 to 2.5 mm.

[/url] IMPACT cleats fit all shoes, including 3-hole LOOK®-system shoes.

With IMPACT, TIME has done away with the need for adapters when using LOOK®-system shoes.

IMPACT cleats are supplied with attached spacers to conform to the curvature of LOOK®-system soles. The spacers are removed when used with flat TIME soles or TIME-compatible inserts.

The IMPACT Café cleat provides traction so you won't wipe out at the espresso shop!

The one-piece Café cleat has three integrated non-slip stabilizers. The widely-placed polyurethane stabilizers grip the ground safely and provide excellent stability.

Quote Reply