Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

thomas/souza following doctor's orders
Quote | Reply
We just unsaddled for the day. Today did not quite unfold to plan.

2 days ago, I was as close to death as I have ever come. After enjoying a nice meal at the Brockton Villa in La Jolla Tuesday night, I did not enjoy the grip my serving of Boullebaise put on me for the next 36 hours. What did I do to deserve a serving of the "Second Skin" incident and food poisoning in the same 2 weeks? If there is a God out there, please take it easy on me, as I have been a good boy.....

Taking Monday off (Sounjer, it is ok to take a day off!) and a short 50mi w/Kenny before Brockton Villa, it looked to be a light one this week. Kenny's plan was to ride to Slowman's (180mi) today and return tomorrow morning. I was to start with him and go out an hour to gently reaquint the body to movemnet after 36 hours on my back.

Before you knew it, we were back in Laguna Beach, 52 mi from home. Of course Kenny kept baiting me to go further and further prior to this destination. What got me to make it this far was the fact we could try a new burrito place, passing on Adolphos's(just south of Thalia on HWY 101) We tried some other hole in the wall that looked promising. I knew we did not make a good decision when we ordered our carne asadas from the gringo behind the counter that looked like a typical face on an apb on "COPS." THe food sucked but there was some good entertainment: A fist fight between to Gay guys, resulting with some blood and repeatedly calling each other "cock suckers." I thought it was a weird profanity to use against each other because they were both gay, wearing "gay pride" logos (Laguna Beach is a very artistic town right between LA and SD with a large gay population.) Following the fight, another gay male approached us and told us that he would do anything to have our legs. I took it as a compliment and Kenny was going to trade his for 2 shots of tequilia! To say the least, Laguna was an interesting stop today.

I was not sure if I should continue my trek north any further. Yesterday my doctor told me to make sure I rehydrate sufficiently after the severe barfing and diarrhea. When I asked him if I could do some bicycle riding at the end of the week, he said "sure, I think that should be a nice way to get outside again." After remembering these words, I figured "why not?" We continued north to Long Beach. At this point we visited Greg Miller(1980 Olympic Team with LEMOND) at his bike shop. What a great guy...he is a 1 man show emphasizing on repairs. I should add that he is the #1 Calfee dealer in the world. You never guess it, as there is only repair bikes scattered about. I guess he does all special orders, never having to sit on inventory....definitley stop by Sandpiper Bikes west of hwy 101 on Seal Bch Blvd.

Seeing that we were at 75.42 miles, I figured the doctor would not have recommended a mile more than 150, so I decided to flip it. After Kenny baiting me to go on and on with him, I baited him to go to USA TF Track Nationals with me tomorrow and ride another 150 on Sunday. He agreed. (Dan, if you are reading, Kenny is not coming tonight..)

Well, other than a gay fight, being hit on by a gay guy, meeting Greg Miller, and following doctor's orders, it was just another run of the mill ride. I weighed 165 and Kenny 136 at the end. Our food intake was minimal: 1 carne asada each. I had 6 figs and an e-Gel. Kenny had 2 red bulls, 1 clif bar, 1 clif shot......ave speed for the flat ride was 21.2(not bad with loosing speed with 40 stop lights/signs

Send me a message if you live in SD area and want to join us on our Sunday excursion.....somewhere Palomar/Laguna Mtn area....Thanks for reading!
Quote Reply
Re: thomas/souza following doctor's orders [paulthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I figured the doctor would not have recommended a mile more than 150"

Thanks for the update. Hearing about what you guys are doing gives me some inspiration for tomorrow's workout.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So I guess all the flat meat and tequila I had ready for you guys, will just have to go to me and the dogs. Dan went to listen to some jazz on a roof top somewhere in Pasadena tonight, and I'm on the tequila taper for my race this weekend in Ventura. Don't forget our Yosemite trip next week, lots of mountain climbing in the thin air, and of course, tequila.....
Quote Reply
correction [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kenny corrected me in the total miles.....163mi....forgot about finishing the ride at SB Automotive to pick up Noreen's Ride.....
Quote Reply
Re: correction [paulthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You guys are a riot. 165lbs and 136lbs at the end, but what about the next morning after rehydrating? You aren't losing weight that fast are you?

BTW, assuming I'm "sounjer", I took last Sunday off instead of doing a crit, I was pretty tore up.

Sounds like next week might have an impromptu double century due to baiting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You two are one big "don't try this at home" riot. I love it.

Out of curiosity...what are the June mileage totals for you and Kenny?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you sure Kenny didn't put a little "turbo lax" in your Boullebaise as revenge for last week?

----------------------------------------------------
Striving to have sex more than 66 times per year
Quote Reply
Re: correction [Sojourner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I won't lie, I was pretty tore up last week also. I bet my Kuota Kenny would have not have felt very good for RAAM if he had done the 103.5 with you and I on Wednesday. I think the temps, wind and climbing may have put the icing on the cake after the 11,000 feet of climbing on Tuesday! I was tired for a few days.

Although I was deathly ill for 36hours, I was surprised on how well I felt yesterday's 164. If you are horizontally barfing, is this considered rest because you are off the feet/legs? It must, because I felt completely recovered....forced rest. (I did check my hr during the food poisoning. Balled up in the fetal position the monitor read 123bpm.)

Weight this am:

Me-170.5

Kenny- 140
Quote Reply