Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

sell my bike as a frame or complete?
Quote | Reply
Getting a new ride, selling the old one and torn btw transfering my components to my new frame, or selling my old bike complete and buying new components for my new frame.

I like my old components, so wouldn't be sad to keep them.

Thoughts? Which move would be the best financially?

--zee
Quote Reply
Re: sell my bike as a frame or complete? [zee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If they are in good shape, transfer the components. It's cheaper. Not to mention, you know the feel of them. Why mess with a good thing?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Animal!!!
Quote Reply
Re: sell my bike as a frame or complete? [muppet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just changed my frame, and switched my components, but over time I've had to pretty much replace everything, read stem, fr & rr deraileurs, shifter/ brake levers, bottom bracket, rear wheel(s), fork, handlebars, headset, saddle, seatpost. If your componentry is in excellent condition, and you can't afford a full upgrade, then go with frame only, otherwise, go for the complete bike.

Another plus is that a full bike is much easier to sell than a second hand frame only.

Steve Nicholls
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends on the quality of the frame/components. You'd have a much harder time selling a Giant TCR / Cervelo One / QR Kilo level frame on its own than a P3 or a TiPhoon. If it's an entry to mid level bike, I'd say definitely keep it whole. If it's a high-end model, it depends on how attached you are to your components and how much milage you think you can still get out of them. It would be worthwhile to hold on to your 1-2yr old Record stuff, but probbaly a waste of time if it was Ultegra or lower.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: sell my bike as a frame or complete? [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, it's a Lightspeed saber, so it's a good Ti frame.

Components are DA, Mavis Kys wheels, 2 yrs old, happy with them, but some of the others (headset etc) I may have to change because of the new frame.

But I've have considered the difficulty of selling a 2nd hand frame vs. complete bike issue... worried that where I may lose out...

--zee
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unless you are very good with bikes and willing to put the time in I would say buy the entire bike. The old one will sell more easily, you know that you are going to have all of the right size components. Also components wear, and as a general rule i have found that replacing components piece miel doesn't work... old components tend not to work that well with new ones... things tend to work best when they wear together... the most obivous example would be chain and rings but whatever...

Unless your main issue is money and you already own all of the correct tools I would say go for the complete bike... plus if you get the complete bike, if something goes wrong right off of the bat becuase of a bad buils, the shop should replace the thing and fix it for free. You screw up you are SOL
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i am offering two grand. i will demand an eight year test ride before payment and the righ to send it back if it doesn't work out in the eight year and you pay for shipping both ways.

it sounds good to me.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: sell my bike as a frame or complete? [customerjon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Deal. Just send me your address and Visa number, and after I've got your deposit (just a couple thousand bucks) test drive away!

--zee
Quote Reply