Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

P3C - Thanks and 1 Question
Quote | Reply
I want to thank Gerard for coming through as he posted recently about when the 54's would ship. He was dead on with the timing. I received mine yesterday and it is absolutely beautiful. My question is that I am having a LBS put it together. Since he specializes in Road bikes and this will be his first P3C, are there any special issues that he should be aware of as he puts it together?

Please help.
Quote Reply
Re: P3C - Thanks and 1 Question [GC in Chicago] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Make sure the seat post is facing the right way :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No pics = does not exist.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not to be a dick, but that makes me sweat. I would truck the box over to Tom D for him to build it. Detroit it only six hours away.
Quote Reply
Re: P3C - Thanks and 1 Question [Trianthes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why would it worry you? It's not rocket science. All the parts go on the same way. I'm sure the wrench has assembled other carbon road frames, if the carbon is what you're worried about (and you shouldn't be).
Quote Reply
Re: P3C - Thanks and 1 Question [jhendric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have to imagine that there are tricks on each type of bike, and why not take advantage of someone who has done it before. All in all, it's probably not a big deal, but I am not a wrench.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, you make a good point. I build up my own stuff so it didn't really dawn on me that someone might put the bike together technically correct, yet not do a great job with the details (aerobar set up, cable routing, et cetera).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Correct me if I am wrong - but I don't think there is any question as to whether this guy is a good wrench. If it is who I am thinking of - he has built out his share of high end TT bikes. It is more of a question of is there any nuances regarding certain parts and how they fit or assemble on the P3C specifically. I am sure Greg is just trying to tap into the wealth of knowledge and experience out here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's really not a big deal for an experienced bike mechanic or even for someone with a mechanical aptitude who plays with bikes. I built my P2K myself transferring the goodies off my old QR Kilo to the P2K frame and got it almost right the first time (redid one of the cables later).

Bikes really aren't that complicated. I'm sure he'll be fine.
Quote Reply
Re: P3C - Thanks and 1 Question [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's just a bike.

Road bike, recumbent bike, mountainbike, or tri bike.
I would think putting it together is not that different from each other types of bikes. The fitting is different, but a bottom bracket is a bottom bracket and the bike still has two wheels wether it's for a MTB or TT bike.
The only thing he has not tried before is probably the aero bar with bar end shifters, but it's should be that hard to figure out for a trained wrencher.
The only thing to be careful about is not to over-tighten the fragile carbon and alu parts. But i guess he has put together carbon road bikes before?

The special thing about P3 is the horizontal rear dropout, but I'm sure he can figure that out. Otherwise ther's an instuction video on Cervélo's website.
Last edited by: Twitchslow: Jun 24, 05 14:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have built three P3C's here and hundreds of P3's and P2K's.

My mechanics tell me there is nothing trickey with the carbon build versus the other models. Fishing the cable out of the bottom bracket area requires a spoke but it is still the easiest internal cable routing to be found.

If your builder has any questions while he is proceeding, he can call over to Brad at ATC to get advice.

Enjoy the bike. I sure like mine.

http://www.austinTRIcyclist.com
http://www.Cannondale.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad to hear the 54s have started shipping, I eard the 58s were going to ship at the same time, has anyone seen any????

I am waiting with bated breath,,,,,,,,,,,,well not to bated

Trizilla...My local bike shop a few thousand Ks away

Speed Hurts ...How fast do you want to go
Quote Reply
Re: P3C - Thanks and 1 Question [jhendric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The only thing that worried me was the thread back on March 10 (Erik Clark) that talked about issues the Clamps and how they should face. Please see below:

Slowman "Canadian Carbons" article question Quote | Reply
I just read your article in April's Inside Triathlon titled "Canadian Carbons" I enjoyed the article but I had one question for you. I do not understand the line;

"My only beef with Cervelo is that it doesn't proclaim with enough vigor how its bikes ought to be ridden."

What did you mean by this?

Erik

swimming is better without a wetsuit..

(This post was edited by Erik Clark on Mar 10, 2005, 1:48 PM)

[/url]
Erik Clark

Mar 11, 2005, 4:23 AM

Post #2 of 43 (1326 views)
Copy Shortcut
Re: Slowman "Canadian Carbons" article question [Erik Clark] [In reply to] Quote | Reply
bump

swimming is better without a wetsuit..

[/url]
Slowman

Mar 11, 2005, 4:56 AM

Post #3 of 43 (1309 views)
Copy Shortcut
Re: Slowman "Canadian Carbons" article question [Erik Clark] [In reply to] Quote | Reply
"What did you mean by this?"

cervelo's bikes ought to be ridden with the clamps facing forward. if you were going to design a bike with the clamp facing backward you'd design it geometrically differently, that is, the head tubes would be taller and the chainstays longer.

so, i think cervelo ought to send their bikes out the door with the clamps forward, and explain that the short chain stays and low head tubes on these bikes are there so that people who want to ride steep will have a favorable weight displacement and sufficiently low aero bar set up.

instead, i see a lot of shops sending their clients out the door with the clamp facing back, with stems between 5cm and 8cm long instead of between 9cm and 12cm long, and with anywhere from 4cm to 7cm of spacers underneath the stem.

these are shops that:

1. don't understand bike fit
2. don't understand cervelos.
3. but sell cervelos anyway and fit people badly atop them.

certainly there are times cervelos ought to be sold and fitted with the clamps facing back. but the incidences of this should be more rare than they are, and i'm guessing two-thirds of all cervelos are sent out the bike shop front door clamp-back. i would guess it ought to be more like one-fourth clamp-back, not two-thirds.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would if it was not during the peak season. I am sure Tom D is quite busy at this point. I will be making the journey North just after IMFL. I figure it will give me a chance to stop by Windsor while I am there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wasn't there something about some tab on the BB shell inerfering wih certain Power/Rotor/whateverCranks unless you have some modified crank part?

Just remembering old threads...

Of course, if it's a standard crank, then maybe this does not apply...

--------------------
Yes, I too now have a Blog. Don't laugh.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That clamp issue you refer to is more of fit issue than a concern about a proper build. I think I could even install the clamp correctly : )

You will be ok. I'm probably hyper-conservative when it comes to these issues. I am really new to the bike world - and swim world for that matter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks- it's just after waiting for this long, I would hate for anything to screw it up. At least when I get passed up on the bike during a race, people will have something to look at besides my fat a--.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sure you will do the bike justice - however with such a sweet ride you will have a target on your back. BTW, I'm also sure you will love the bike, it really is a sweet ride. I worship at the alter of Cervelo too; the less bling bling P3SL. Send pics and a full report.
Quote Reply
Re: P3C - Thanks and 1 Question [nimbleblade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nytro's telling me - mid-July, Gerard said - end of June. I've given up guessing....
Quote Reply
Re: P3C - Thanks and 1 Question [jnielsen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I heard that some of the 58s were due with the 54s on the 28th June, the rest in July, but as the 54 had arrived wondered if there had been some movement

Trizilla...My local bike shop a few thousand Ks away

Speed Hurts ...How fast do you want to go
Quote Reply